Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Jacob Dickert Build Progress  (Read 29041 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Jacob Dickert Build Progress
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »
i took some quick photos . all you do is wrap alittle sanding paper around the dowel that runs along the side . when you finish on side  just  remove the papper . place that dowel in the RR channel and put paper on the other side
 simple , nothing fancy , just a sanding jig

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »
Thanks, Captchee! That IS simple. I have a tendency to overthink things. :Doh!

I just drew on my lock & sideplate panels.

TMA Member #174

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
Sanded in a decorative flute along the ramrod channel. That sanding jig worked pretty good!

TMA Member #174

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2015, 03:05:11 AM »
Shaping the lock panels with cabinet scrappers.

Inletted the sideplate. Not the prettiest (I have a couple chip-outs), but it'll do.

Lock panel is all shaped!

Sideplate is inletted and panel is shaped!

The wrist and panel region took a bit more research than I thought it was going to take. There's a lot of merging going on in that area. The cabinet scrapers worked pretty good in shaping the lock panels. It was a little bit of a slow process because you're only removing a very small amount of wood at a time, but I feel I was less likely to mess it up for that reason. Now I just have to figure out how to sharpen the scrapers.
Now I'm onto shaping the buttstock, but first, I'm going to cut the pins for the barrel, ramrod pipes, and trigger guard to size.
Stay tuned! :hairy
TMA Member #174

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
The buttstock and cheekpiece is all shaped up!

TMA Member #174

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »
Toeplate is inletted!

Now I just have to work up the nerve to inlet the patchbox...
TMA Member #174

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »
Patchbox is installed! I have a lot of photos of the process, but I'll just post the abridged version. For now, I'm just going to use the spring patchbox release. I might go back at a later date and install a push-button release.

I just need to polish it, and someday engrave it. It's all starting to come together! :hairy
TMA Member #174

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
:shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:12 AM »
Thank you, Shake Eyes!

Well, I'm to the point where I need to finally start thinking about finishing the stock. The problem is that I've never finished a stock before, so I have a few questions.
First question; how fine of a grit of sandpaper do I need to sand it down to?
Second question; I see there at gun stock waxes, gun stock sealers, and gun stock finishes, so I'm not exactly sure of which of these I need to use to get a traditional finish on a LMF Lancaster Maple stained semi-fancy maple stock? My assumption is that the wax creates a high-gloss shine, the sealer fills the pores of a more porous wood like walnut, and the finish adds a bit of a protective layer against the elements and gives it a little shine. Am I correct?
My ultimate goal is to have a finished stock similar to this..

Will the LMF Lancaster Maple and LMF Gun Stock Finish achieve this?
TMA Member #174

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »
First question; how fine of a grit of sandpaper do I need to sand it down to?

The answer to this IMO really depends on the gun one is working on . Normally I sand to around 250-300..
 After that you need to whisker. This means you dampen the wood so as to raise the grain . Let it dry and sand  dine sand again  then whisker again . This you need to repeat until the wood  grain no longer  raises  when you wet it .
I then Burnish  the stock using a burnishing tool  which is simply nothing more then a piece  highly polished steel , Bone , Stone or even a harder wood ..  
 What this does is compress and polish . Also , you know how some makers , show guns with very little end grain showing around their carving  or after the gun is finished  with oil  , there is no rough  look around the carvings .  A good burnish  helps produce that look by compressing the grain you can get into to whisker .

Second question; I see there at gun stock waxes, gun stock sealers, and gun stock finishes, so I'm not exactly sure of which of these I need to use to get a traditional finish on a LMF Lancaster Maple stained semi-fancy maple stock? My assumption is that the wax creates a high-gloss shine, the sealer fills the pores of a more porous wood like walnut, and the finish adds a bit of a protective layer against the elements and gives it a little shine. Am I correct?

There are  I would bet thousands of ways to finish a gun stocks. Which one chooses to use   can depend on  the gun , grade of gun ……….  Doing a proper hand rubbed finish on say a presentation grade  shotgun , is a lot different then doing a basic oil  or wax finish on a long rifle .
Myself  with maple I stain with forties. Then lay up a couple wet coats of   boiled linseed . that’s followed with a couple coats of Tung , when dry that’s knocked down and the stock is waxed with an acrylic wax.
 Then you also have the Tru-oil . Which can produce a very nice  finish. Imo it needs to be knocked back so as to not look like plastic , but that’s preference

Sealers  produce a base seal for the wood   sealing end grain and such . Depending on the maker , they may not seal the grain “walnut “ without many, many coats ,   that’s a sealer/ filler
 These for the most part are put on after the stock is stained .
 Then you have your finish   which may consist of different oils , wax’s lacquers………. That goes on top of your sealer .

I would not worry to much about a wax  or oil finish that you maybe thinking of using . If they turn out to shinny , they can be simply dulled  back with steel wool or a rubbing with burlap

The thing to remember  , and I have said this many times through your build .
Don’t rush , take your time .
 Same goes for this finishing . Let things dry  before you move on to the next step  . You wont regret it

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »
You don't need a wood sealer for maple. This stock is walnut so I did use a wood sealer to fill the pores then sanded everything back to bare wood. the finish is 4 or 5 coats of Chambers antique oil finish which produces a hard satin finish much like you are looking for, real easy to apply as well.

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2015, 05:46:10 AM »
Will the Aquafortis affect the brass muzzlecap or silver hunters star? Will I have to protect them during staining?
Is the carving done after sanding but before whiskering?
What is meant by "knocked down" when referring to after applying the tru oil and tung oil, and before waxing?
TMA Member #174

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2015, 08:08:50 AM »
Fortis should not effect your brass  or silver  more then a tarnish which will polish back up .
 I have had it flash rust iron  . However even then it was do to me  simply sloping a lot of fortis on.

Yes carving is done after sanding . As far as before or after whiskering , that’s up to you . Myself I have done it both ways  but on long rifles , I normally whisker then  carve. But  I also have the stock clamped on my table , so im not real worried about  damage being caused to other areas of the stock . Which would then need to be re sanded , thus re whisker  

Knock down , Knock back , Bring back ….. All refer to using  fine sanding paper , , steel wool , stone  or a  course material like burlap or denim to level a finish or take the  high shine from a finish

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2015, 03:21:48 AM »
Hunter's star is inletted!

Time to sand things down.
TMA Member #174

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »
Isn't the patchbox spring in backwards ?   The instructions usually show the spring under the box end piece ????   Really good work for first go...Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12