Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: My TVM Early Virginia rifle  (Read 1548 times)

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
Re: My TVM Early Virginia rifle
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »
Quote from: "TallTexan"
Quote from: "amm1851"
Nice looking plains rifle. How are you and that Early Virginia getting along?
Just fine but after going through some major health problems I don't get to the shooting range very much or even once a year. Things will get better and eventually so will I but my new normal simply won't include monthly shooting matches with practice in between. Having said all that, I'm sure that my EV rifle is going to shoot as good as she looks.

I hope you feel better soon! :)
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
  • You can't kill a man who is born to hang.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
Thank you.
Member 629

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »
You have two particularly nice rifles.  I use to have a .50 TVM EV flint but had to sell it due to a wrist problem.  Eventually had Matt build me a custom .50 based somewhat on an early Lancaster and York styling.  It fits me perfectly and is truly one of a kind.  I'm fortunate also to have a little half stock, "rug rat", rifle I got from Mongrel.  It saddens me that he is not currently building guns; he did them right.  You have a much longer lop than I do; my .50 is 12.5".  Your EV is a beaut!

My hybrid custom TVM .50.

My EV that I still mourn; but at least the lock's on the corrent side.  :rotf
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 06:07:52 PM »
I agree. We lost a great gun smith/custom builder when Mike quit.
I go back and forth when it comes to color of finish. Just when I see a red like your old EV and decide that's what I like them I'll see a brown like your new one and then that's my favorite. Decisions, decisions.....
Member 629

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 08:22:10 PM »
Hey TT, sorry to hear you've been under the weather for a while.
Try to get yourself back to normal soon as ya can, ya hear me now?

Take care bud.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »
I'm trying to get back to the best I can be Uncle Russ but the insurance companies sure don't seem like they want to help me do that.  I now wear prosthetic feet to compensate for what I lost after the sepsis and basically only have each heel plus about 3 to 3.5 inches past that.  The carbon fiber braces go from below each knee and form a cup around the amputation stumps, which are glued to a flat, carbon fiber plate that a plastic "foot" slips over.  The glue on my left side let go about a month ago and is only held on with the laces of my shoe right now, forcing me to have to lock my left knee and limp along slowly.  Any pivoting forward causes the brace to come out of my shoe and I've nearly tripped several times.  I joke with my doctors that my foot broke off; they come running into the exam room saying "the nurse said that you walked in here with a broken foot!"  Nope, my foot broke off completely; see?  Some thought it was funny...

Anyway, it's been almost a month and still no repair kit so I limp along.  There's no way I could maneuver the gravel and uneven surface at the range at present.  Soooo, periodically I take out my smokepoles and wipe them down with oil, swab the bore, make sure the lock it giving a good shower of sparks or snap the hammer with a piece of leather over the cap.  Just to make sure, you know?
Member 629

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »
My goodness TT!  :cry:

I am sooo sorry to hear this.
My family will be praying for you, we are hopeful that your situation will improve soon.

My heart goes out to you brother!
Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 12:03:12 AM »
Oh, I appreciate that.  I'm pretty much out of the woods at this point.  It's just a matter of adjusting to the "new normal" and getting my insurance companies to comply with their contractual obligations, especially my disability insurance.  They've decided that I'm no longer disabled so I had to retain an attorney.  I kept telling the claims examiner that if my feet ever grow back that he'll be the first to know!
Member 629

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 12:26:28 AM »
I am glad you are feeling better and seem to have been able to keep a sense of humor. Insurance companies can be aggravating, to say the least. I hope you are able to make smoke soon!
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »
Quote from: "amm1851"
I am glad you are feeling better and seem to have been able to keep a sense of humor. Insurance companies can be aggravating, to say the least. I hope you are able to make smoke soon!

It's not from a lack of firearms that I don't, rather a lack of mobility.  :walk

After beginning this little journey on Dec. 3, 2013, I've come to the conclusion that insurance companies are the poorest losers in the world!  They gamble on their customers never making a claim but when they do, they refuse to pay unless "proof" is submitted immediately.  Just think of going to Vegas with that attitude.  Go up a million bucks on the Blackjack table then losing one hand and demanding proof that it was indeed a loss.
Member 629