Traditional Firearms > Traditional Archery

Finally made something for myself

<< < (2/2)

The Miner '49er:
I just finished an online article about pirarucu leather. That really is some stuff, for sure. Please post a pic of the arm guard or whatever you might make from it. Thanks.

Two Steps:
You have skills Darren…you have skills  :applaud

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote from: Two Steps on September 04, 2021, 06:55:32 AM ---You have skills Darren…you have skills  :applaud

--- End quote ---

Yes, the man does have SKILLS!
 :hairy

Russ...

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote from: Darren Haverstick on September 03, 2021, 09:04:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: Flintstone on September 03, 2021, 05:05:44 PM ---That looks great, Darren. I am surprised to learn that tilapia skin can be used to make things like this, but all I knew about tilapia, before seeing your post, involved a salt shaker, lemon, and tarter sauce. How durable is fish hide like this, and how is it processed or tanned?

--- End quote ---

Don, I'm pretty sure the hides are chrome tanned. It's more durable than snake skin but not as tough as carp hide. That stuff is awesome! If you want to see some really cool fish leather, look up "pirarucu leather". The pirarucu is a huge fish from the Amazon Basin. The leather is thick and tough...and very expensive. I bought a scrap piece a couple of weeks ago that is just big enough to make a single arm guard. I think I gave $20 for it!

Darren

--- End quote ---

Expensive, yes.  But, don't forget,  the fish gave its life for it.
Just saying...

John (Bigsmoke)

Winter Hawk:
You "cobble" something together that the rest of us would give our eye teeth to do half as good.  That's some mighty fine work there!

~Kees~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version