The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

Gin

(1/5) > >>

Minnesota Mike:
Ok - not really a 'cooking' question, but more of recipes for drinking question.

Have period bottle enroute to match with period gin label for nice period bottle of gin.

Question is HOW did they imbibed their gin back in the day? As much as I love gin and tonics, doubt that would fly as PC in camp.

Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

r/
MM

Mitch:
seems gin was the cheap drink of the lower classes(in my research)-I expect straight or watered down a bit....but, I wouldn't kick you out of camp for a gin and tonic in a period drinking vessel...

R.M.:
How would anybody that cared know?????

Minnesota Mike:
Just was doing a slight bit of research on gin . . . WOW . . . has it gotten a PR overhaul since the days of Gin Alley. Sheesh.  

Maybe I don't want to be offering gin to anyone with the period reputation that gin had - uffda!! Quite an eye-opener to say the least.

r/
MM

Loyalist Dave:
Serve the gin "neat".  You could also water it a bit.  The gin of the 18th century might also be closer to "Dutch Gin", than the modern stuff.  It was originaly called Genever, which is Dutch for Juniper.  Original gin was probably sweetened a bit, as opposed to London Dry Gin.  

LD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version