The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

ribs, ribs and ribs

(1/4) > >>

sawbones:
Howdy all.   What is the best way to cook ribs at camp.  I was thinking of running a green stick through the ribs and roasting them slowly over the fire.  Season with salt pepper and garlic.
  Any ideas or good recipies? This isn't going to be a primative trek and I will have a lot of iron cookware.

Roaddog:
You Will want to steam or vein simmer them for 21/ to 3 hours. The season and put on your stick and roast.

Bountyhunter:
They will cook over a fire, but they will dry out like leather and be tougher than boot soles.

What I do is cook them over the fire until the outside begins to glaze, they pick up smoke, and I watch the ends of the bones until they begin to seep fluid from getting hot.  Then I put them in a tight roaster or foil and finish them up.   I usually put some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sause on them.  That way you keep the moisture in and they finish tender, but they get that smoky flavor all the way through.

sse:

--- Quote ---Then I put them in a tight roaster or foil and finish them up.
--- End quote ---
Just what I was going to say.  Foil works just great.  Add a little apple juice or sauce, wrap them tight and put them near the heat, not right over it, turn them occasionally.  That's all it takes to get them tender.

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote from: "sse" ---
--- Quote ---Then I put them in a tight roaster or foil and finish them up.
--- End quote ---
Just what I was going to say.  Foil works just great.  Add a little apple juice or sauce, wrap them tight and put them near the heat, not right over it, turn them occasionally.  That's all it takes to get them tender.
--- End quote ---

I've never tried Apple Sauce / Juice, but the foil thingy with other sauces works like a charm.

Gotta try that Apple Sauce trick!

Uncle Russ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version