The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

Camp box

(1/7) > >>

jbullard1:
I have found a rondy I'm going to attend in October I dont have much in the way of camp gear and would like to build a storage box for my tent and a few things. I have about 30 sg ft of premium tongue and groove red oak flooring, will this do to build something like a foot locker? any pictures of boxes greatly appreciated

Minnesota Mike:
You sure you want a box for your tent and all your other stuff? That's getting into a lot of weight to lug around. Plus being a good size box.

Unless you have some specific consideration for wanting one big box, maybe you should think about a couple smaller boxes for a bit more flexibility and easier carrying.

If you intend to have people sit on the box, make sure there is at least one cross piece and support 'beam' on the inside unless box is fairly short.

We've got two camp boxes - a short one that has tent tools, repair items inside that we take for either the hunter or big wall tent. And a big box that we can pile all manner of gear inside of for longer rendezvous. It also dooubles as extra table top since it sits pretty tall. But it weighs a ton - so we rigged groove underneath for temporary axle to stick a set of wheels on it and that works well for lugging to/fro camp and van.

A note to remember about handles - if you're putting in rope handles, make sure the loop is big enough for getting your hand all the way around the rope. The small box we have came with one side cut way too small - kept scraping back of hand until put longer rope in there.

Last bit of advice - if the box is going to sit outside of the tent, then make sure you put a couple of runners underneath it to get it up off the ground a bit. Keep the bottom out of the rain or moisture to help prevent the wood from rotting.

r/
MM

Uncle Russ:
Jerry, if I remember correctly, RichW has a bit of experience with camp boxes. He should be along any time now and I bet he has some ideas too.

Like MM mentioned, I went totally overboard with my "camp boxes" a few years back and once packed, they were simply too heavy to be practical.

I like a box that is large enough, heavy enough, and stout enough to sit or stand on, yet light enough to be moved around without  getting a hernia.
And, simple as that may seem, it can be hard to do if you don't select your wood and design properly.

Uncle Russ...

woodman:
Look in the Voyeger Sketchbook by Hanson and use either the Cassette or the sketch of the Hudson bay ration box.
  There both sized so they hold a lot but not so big that ya can't pick them up.
   Woodman

jbullard1:
Dont got no books

I just started calculating the amount of wood I have and my box can only be about 16x16x24 unless I use plywood for the bottom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version