The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

bedding

(1/3) > >>

RDavidP:
I am looking for some bed suggestions for camping.  I have been using a blow up matters covered in blankets, but I am starting to have trouble sleeping on them.  Let's just say, if famine hit, I would beat it, survive, and come out healthier in the end.  I am built like a bear before a long winter hibernation.  My problem with aerobeds and the like is I can only sleep on my back, and can't roll over to my side.  I sleep best on my side.   What do you others do for something to sleep on?

Captchee:
When my wife goes to an event with me , like a voooo then yes , we take a mattress .
 Its one of those big double ones  and cover it in quilts and hides . Just like sleeping at home .
 Now if it’s a lose type event and  she isn’t with me then I take the  padding off of our lawn recliner and hide it under my elk robs .
 For trekking I make a bed of pine bows  and lay one blanket over them . In areas that are thickly timbered with lots of needles , I just make a bed of pine needles

Longhunter:

--- Quote ---Didn't put nuff dirt down...saw it right off
--- End quote ---

Back in the day I could sleep right on the ground with just a ground cloth and a blanket. The old bones won't stand for that no more. I've got a 4" piece of foam that I cover with a canvas, and that gets me by. It ain't like my Simmons pillow top that I have at home  :rotf

I'll be utilizing my new Buffalo robe this fall. In fact we're gonna be setin up our primitive camp for the local Frontier Days celebration in just a few weeks so maybe I'd better start sleepin out in the yard to get in shape for it.  :laffing

SAWMA:
I've had pretty good luck with a Therm-a-Rest camping mattress, it self inflates an inch or two. It's still sleeping on the ground, like Longhunter said, no pain, no gain, no fun. :-)

Sir Michael:
I have a pailliasse I sewed up from mattress ticking that fits over my Thermarest which I use instead of straw or grass to fill it.  When its buttoned up no one can tell it isn't filled with straw except that it isnt' lumpy.  I use it on my canvas folding camp bed and on the ground if I don't use the bed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version