Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: PA Hunter  (Read 547 times)

Offline mossie

• TMA Forum Member
PA Hunter
« on: November 16, 2009, 11:20:21 AM »
Does anyone own an old TC PA Hunter barrel that is marked on the right side  between the breech and rear sight with "Roundball twist 1/66" ?  How does it shoot?  Is it cut rifling or button rifling? Any comments on this specific barrel would be appreciated. Have any idea on the year of manufacture?

The rifle in question is a TC PA Hunter with approx. 32" barrel and it's octagon to round. I doubt it has the QLA on it but don't know for sure. Is there any way to research the old TC sidelocks? How about old catologs or gun magizine articles? Any help appreciated.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »
a pic of the lock would help tell if it's and old style or newer style lock, all PA's were 1:66, many, many of them sold so to hammer down a year will be dang near impossible unless you cintact T/C with the serial#, they should have records

I have shot several PA's (both cap and flint)and all have been very good shooters once you work up the correct load for the barrel
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline mossie

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »
It's the old style lock for sure. I have seen pic of the rifle and I have one of the newer ones that are not marked on the side with the "Roundball twist" I was at a shoot the other day and someone wanted to buy my rifle and I would replace it with this rifle if it's non QLA. I am pretty sure the one marked with the inscription would be one of the first PA Hunters models.

Not all PA Hunters were 1/66 twist. Some were 1/48 twist but 28" long. I am making the trade if it's non QLA. I don't like the QLA on a rifle.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:23:21 PM by mossie »

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:20:55 PM »
OK now I have to ask, what the heck is QLA?
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline mossie

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »
The QLA is a recessed muzzle; there is no rifling for about an inch at the muzzle and it's a little bigger diameter than the bore. It's designed to aid loading but it doesn't work very well with roundballs. The one I have now has it and the earliest models did not.  The seller doesn't know yet if it has the QLA until he gets home; he's on the road. I won't lose anything on the purchase of the other rifle as I can sell my old one for the same amount.

QLA; means Quick Load Accurizing system. I don't like it for roundballs. It's not needed and it's a pain in the keyster. I know that TC made some of the earliest PA Hunter models with what is called PA Hunter Match barrels; this may or may not be one of these barrels and would be different than the one I have now. I was hoping someone owned this specific barrel that could give me some details on it. They are quite rare.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:35:51 PM by mossie »

Online BEAVERMAN

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
OK, thanks guess I need to look closer at my sons barrel and the one that Dragoon just picked up, I know they are both 1:66
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline mossie

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Here is a pic of the other barrels inscription; my current rifle doesn't have that. Is this one of the PA Hunter Match barrels that TC made?

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
Beaverting - Save you the trouble of looking at Dragoon's rifle - It does not have that silly stuff.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life