Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: sssssssssssssscope???  (Read 1355 times)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »
Thanks men. I do kinda get the picture and it is a sad one. My bud is only in mid 40s but simply cannot see a rear sight of any kind even an aperture no matter where it is placed out on the barrel. He is a great shooter with several shooting titles including a national championship in the past. Here in MS a scope is perfectly legal on any legal gun during MLer season. Actually here cartrige guns like single shot 45-70s and such are legal scoped or not.  We have chosen the old flintlock and round ball route with iron sights but my friend just cannot see his sights very well. He can see well enough to make ethical shots at pretty close range so that may just have to be the way it is, a close range proposition for him. We don't really do shoots and stuff yet but a modern scope or modernism of any kind really would ruin the period rush we get being in the woods hunting with these ole flinters. What matters is how your rig makes you feel in your heart. If you can justify a setup  in your heart then you still get the period rush. Otherwise it is spoiled. I am sure ya'll understand.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »
Mark, I agree, it's a sad situation. :rt th

Have you ever snuck up on a bedded muley doe, and touched her on the shoulder (from the back side) with the muzzle of your rifle? Talk about a "RUSH"!!!!!!!!!!!  :shock:  :clap  :rt th  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »
I believe this is the point Toby Bridges is trying to make with his lawsuit.I wonder if someone is testing us?No offense intended but sometimes I get a little paranoid about this stuff.Maybe it woud be best to shut this down.

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
Has your friend tried on aperture on his glasses to help clear up the sight picture?
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline irish

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 02:25:01 PM »
i am no interloper.   i sought advised from those who know much more than i about this subject.  i did not intend to start a firestorm.  for that i apologize.     i am glad i threw my hat in first.........................irish

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
Rollingb, Cool story!!! ...and, NO, I have not done that.... I wish I could though!! I did have something cool happen last Friday morning. I killed a big ole matriarch whitetail doe at 9 yards off the ground left handed! She came in behind me over my right shoulder; when her head was behind a tree I switched my gun over and realized I could not get up or turn around. I am very right handed but taught myself to shoot left handed many years ago in combat shooting competition. I just moved my Hawken flinter out on my left shoulder and closed my right eye and really focused on sight and trigger control. When the set trigger broke I put a big ole .62 ball right through both front shoulders and dropped her like a rock right there 9 yards away! It was indeed a rush.
   Now, here honestly is why my partner and I am more interested in longer shots. Iv'e been in traditional archery for many years and have killed many dozens and I mean dozens of deer with recurve and longbow inside 25 yards. When I shoot a deer with a gun at archery range it leaves me kinda hollow about the kill. It is hard to explain but I just do not normally enjoy blunderblasting a deer at 25 or 30 yards with a firearm of any kind cause I cannot help but think "dangit I could have killed that deer with a bow and arrow."  The close up 9 yard shot combined with having to do it left handed made that kill exciting. Honestly if I had been able to shoot right handed I might not have even shot her at such close range. Now on the other hand I made a 90 yard shot last year from a solid rest on a decent buck with my old .54 flinter and that was to me at least quite an accomplishment to have developed the load and skill and to actually pull it off in the woods. Does any of this make any sense? Sorry to ramble. :-)

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »
Quote from: "irish"
i am no interloper.   i sought advised from those who know much more than i about this subject.  i did not intend to start a firestorm.  for that i apologize.     i am glad i threw my hat in first.........................irish

Irish, I for one, DID NOT take Offense & your ?? I also "understand you wanting to Assist Your Hunting Partner.

I can not address the ?? you asked, as I know nothing on the subject.

But if a 'scope" would assist your partner in continuing to enjoy the sport (in respect to Hunting) IMHO, GO FOR IT & PC be DARNED

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
You know  I love topics like this  because they can often bring out so much interesting information

See the thing about history is that  there is no black and white ,  wet or dry .
 In fact there simply is not one  simple  factual . This is how it was  anywhere .

You simply cannot say NO did not happen  because we don’t know . The best one can say is ; it was un common .
 Where we run into issues is when  people take history and twist the un common for  their own benefit and thus try to  make folks believe it was common .
 That happens a lot  in just about every  subject mater .
 Case in point . How did  the idea that smooth bores carry no rear sights ever come about ? It most certainly cant be  supported with documentation . In fact surviving examples for the most part complete disprove the notion . Yet time and time again people repeat  it .
 This same  thing goes on and on . From inconsistencies  of the flintlock ignitions , percussion ignitions ,  effectiveness of the RB .

IMO  scopes also often fall into this category .
 Why ?
 Well I think its because folks want something  so they find a picture  and say LOOK here it is . But the never look past what they want to see .
Case in point . Pick up a copy of the muzzle loading Cap lock rifle by Ned Roberts
Open it up , thumb through it . At first glance  a person wanting to justify  early scopes on hawkens rifles would simply  be falling all over themselves  looking at example after example.
 The simply is all kinds of scopes from those of Malcolm , Billing Hurst , to Brockway

But guess what , none of  the rifles are  any more hawkens then a TC or CVA hawkens is anything like a  hawkens
 We then could also look ,,,,,, in this one book ,,,,,, just alittle slower and come to the conclusion that all these rifles are small  caliber target rifles  and conclude  they are conical rifles .
 But again we would only be seeing  part of the picture .
 Because if we take the time to actual read the book we find that  there are rifles in there that are dedicated RB rifles show . There are also  rifles shown with scopes in calibers  larger then 50 . In fact there are as I recall a number of 56 cal and a couple 58 cal .
 Could these be used for hunting rifles ??? Yep any one of them .

But   that’s not what this book is showing . Its showing information on dedicated target rifles .  In order to get every day  protection , / hunting /  average . We have to make a conclusion, base in our own mind  over what we are clearly being shown .

If we lean the other way and say  that the book is proof that said rifles were not used for hunting or that  every day  protection , / hunting /  average  rifles  did not carry scopes .
 We have made the very same mistake .
 So   my thought is that  if we ask
1) were there scopes   during the muzzle loading eras
 We have to say yes
2) if ask were they used on muzzle loading rifles
 We have to say yes
3) were they used on  everyday  run of the mill  personal rifles .
 We simply have to say  , we need more info , who ,what, were, when
 Because frankly the supporting information is very limited
4) when approuched with the modern issues of scopes  by the likes of TB .
 we have to simply  point out that the scopes of old , are not the scopes of today  and if   one wants to use those exsamples as proof of scopes , then they should be required to also US only scopes of that quality and technolgy .

Now past the historical issue and on to scopes .
 Myself personally I have a real big issue with modern  optics on muzzle loading rifles .
 For every legitimate person who do to handycap , needs a scope . There are probably 100 other who say the need a scope but don’t

IMO muzzle loading season were brought about  by people  who wanted to experience a challenge that they could not safely get  in a general season  
 It was different and it did not suit a vast majority of folks .
 But today all that is forgotten . Instead  the challenge must be modified to  allow  everyone vs.  simply stating  here is the  opportunity . Maybe its for you , for any given number of reasons maybe its not  .
 I have no issues with  someone who is truly and medically proven  to be  handicap  who  wants to experience  the sport , being given a waver  to allow them the  equipment to do so .
 However at the same time  I expect  people to  have the mental aptitude to be able to stand back and say ; you know  im just not as young as I used to be . Climbing that mountain at  3 am  I just cant do anymore , I have to accept that .
 But in todays works  the government better come in and build a blood 4 lain highway with  rest stations  and handicap access , every 10 miles , all the way to the top  .

I have told folks this  time and time again . . Myself as I get older , I enjoy the hunt more and more . I also at the same time  enjoy the killing less and less ..

Myself I cant see like I did  when I was 20 . Im not as strong as I was when I was 30 .
  My hold  and accuracy with my rifles is getting weaker and weaker each year .
 But that doesn’t stop me from going out  sitting under a tree  and if a deer  or elk comes along  that’s within my REALISTIC  range , well then I might or might not take a shot .

If I see something that’s to far . Well I get off my dead A$$ and get closer . If it turns out I don’t get a shot . Well guess what , it still was a very good hunt .

So to your friend I would say  this .  If  its aloud  for him to get a scope , then get a scope . If the need is that great , don’t fool around . Get what  is needed .
 But as he is ploping the money down  realize that  its only a mater of time and that scope will  no longer work for him . Or for that mater any of us .

We all must at some time succumb  just as all those  before us did  and realize we are not as capable as we once was .

To close this very long post that im very sorry to have written I want to say this .
  When it comes to topics like this it reminds me of the  accounts of Daniel Boone in his later years    when he was to weak to  walk far and to blind to see .
 They say he still enjoyed  hunting .
 Even  though it was simply holding a rifle and setting under a tree  not far from his home

Was that man enjoying the hunt or  longing for past hunts .  There was a time when I would have  said the later . But  as I get older  and can look down and see what   I very much remember my fathers hands  looking like .  I am more and more certain each day  that old Daniel was enjoying  the hunt in all it TRUE glory

Anyway that’s my thoughts on the mater . I hope you all get it figured out .
 Be safe

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
[quote="Riley/MN]
This saddens me, as I start to face my own optical limitations (in other words, my eyes are gettin old). I imagine the day will come when I have to give up the iron sights and try to do something else to keep hunting. It won't be "period correct", but it will keep me hunting...

just my 2 cents[/quote]

I'm thinking really big smoothbore and buckshot. ;)
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 08:42:27 PM »
Quote from: "IronDawg"
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
This saddens me, as I start to face my own optical limitations (in other words, my eyes are gettin old). I imagine the day will come when I have to give up the iron sights and try to do something else to keep hunting. It won't be "period correct", but it will keep me hunting...

just my 2 cents

I'm thinking really big smoothbore and buckshot. :roll eyes

Nope, no buckshot here in MN.... course now if'n a fella get hungry enuff... ;)
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 08:49:56 PM »
but officer , no buck was shot ???  you can clearly see its a doe  :shock:

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
but officer , no buck was shot ???  you can clearly see its a doe  :lol:
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 09:21:05 PM »
you know ironicly is the very same # as uncle russ has  LOL  ;)

Offline rickd

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 06:54:12 AM »
I`m 63 and optical limitations have reached the point that I use a Merit sight on my glasses to shoot most of the time..My neighbor and good friend  who is older than me is a die hard muzzleloader but his eye sight has diminished to the point a Mert sight doesnt help at all..He really had no choice but to mount a scope on his custom Lancaster flintlock to be able to keep shooting blackpowder..

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 07:18:19 AM »
Wow Rick!! all this time I thought you were closer to my age. I had no idea you were in your 60s.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10