Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Do I need to size the bullet?  (Read 526 times)

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
Do I need to size the bullet?
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »
I bought a 200 grain bullet mould for my 1858 Remington .44.  Other than lubricating the bullet can I use it as it comes out of the mould or do I need to size it too?
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago!

GO GREEN!   Recycle Congress!

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »
Well, that all depends on how it fits.
Just like the round ball, it should shave a little ring of lead when you load it.  And it should load without great strain.
Let us know what you find out there.  You can load it without powder to check this out.  After you press the conical into the cylinder, remove the nipple and put a thin rod through the hole and tap the bullet out.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:41:50 PM »
Thanks BigSmoke.  I thought that was about what I would need to do.  I'm new to BP revolvers.  I cast bullets for a .44 but this is my first BP revolver.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »
I have a 200 gr i use in my Colt and all I do is grease it with crisco and It cuts small circles from the lands
I suggest load a sort of small to medium charge in ONE chamber ONLY
cap it and shoot it. Check for the lead rings shaved from the projectile.

Be sure not to get overzealous trying to seat the bullet and break a part

Just my thoughts: which with 5 bucks will buy you a Starbucks coffee
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »
Thanks Jerry.  This is all new stuff for me.  Do you get any leading with the Crisco as bullet lube?  I was thinking about using lard as a bullet lube.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
Gene, Unsalted lard is fine, as is Crisco in small amounts. It's the "shaving" of a thin lead ring from the projectile that does the trick.

FWIW: Dixie Gun Works catalogs used to have a ton of information on loading C&B Revolvers.... probably still do but I haven't looked at a new one in several years.
Anyway, at one time there was a copy of the original loading instructions that came from the factory with every Colt sold back in it's day, and at no time was there ever mention of lube of any kind ever being applied on the bullet, or over the cylinder....the cylinder pin was mention as requiring lube, but nothing on the bullet, under the bullet, or over the cylinder.

We all understand the importance of lube, but few of us understand how much and where it should be applied.
All to often huge globs of grease is applied over the loaded bullet with no more effect than making a mess....if this is done in the interest of safety it must be remembered that "chain-fires" start from the cap / nipple end and not the bullet end.
The 58 Remington you mentioned is thought by some to be better than the Colt in preventing flash-over from loose caps, but that is somewhat subjective and often disputed by Colt owners.

It is also believed that snug fitting caps on undamaged nipples will prevent any chance of a chain-fire....Number 10 caps are designed for C&B Revolvers and should not be substituted for Number 11's in hopes of getting "a hotter spark"....they are smaller and fit the nipple much better.

Good luck and have fun with your new toy, at least one C&B Revolver belongs in every man's arsenal,  IMO.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 04:00:31 AM »
Quote from: "RussB"
at least one C&B Revolver belongs in every man's arsenal,  IMO.

Amen!   :bl th up
Member #424

Offline Ironwood

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:07:15 AM »
Thanks Russ.  I'm getting some good info here.  Maybe I can get out to the Range some time this week.  If I do I'll post my target.  Well that is, I'll post it if I can get it to fit on the screen here.

Bluelake,  I'm not the best pistol shot in the world.  Probably wouldn't have ever owned a BP pistol had my friend not given me this one.  Now that I've handled the gun some I can see I've been missing something! :)