Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What powder is this?  (Read 588 times)

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
What powder is this?
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »
A fellow gave me some black powder today. It is in what appears to be original packaging but it is a paper sack! The powder is in a cellophane bag inside a brown paper bag. On the outside of the bag is a warning label on one side in red ink and another disclaimer on the other side. It mentions that it contains and EXPLOSIVE and disclaims any responsibility for its use. Other than that there is absolutely no brand name on the bag. It was originally a 5 pound bag but appears to have only about 2 1/2 pounds left. There is a big "2" written on the outside in two places with what appears to be magic marker but there is no "F" after the "2".  Anybody got any idea what this is or who made and packaged black powder that way???  There is a partial can of Goex 2F in the ammo can with the paper bag powder so I believe the brown bag powder to be 2F also. I just do not know how safe it is or really anything else about it and I thought the packaging might ring a bell for some of you who have been at this long enough to see such things. Any information will be much appreciated. :-)

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
There is no sure way of knowing what it is without knowing it's history.  Packaging black powder in paper bags doesn't seem all that good an idea.  Because BP is hygroscopic  it needs to be packed in as close to waterproof containers as humanly possible.

My wild a$$ed guess is that it is most likely some kind of pyrotechnic compound.

This makes all three drops of my Scots Blood boil, but if it were mine, I'd mix it with water and flush it.   The 2F in the can,  I'd shoot.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:56:43 PM »
Someone else will clarify this, but it's till sold in bulk (paper bags) today.
BP doesn't draw moisture, it's the fouling that does. You can get BP wet, then dry it, and it'll be OK, that's the way they make it.
Myself, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd use it, others would fertilize the lawn with it. TETO
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
What ever you do with it just don't store it in that ammo can. If that can is latched tight you have a bomb on your hands if a fire were to happen.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:30:33 PM »
If you have some, or know someone who does, you could put a small sample of your powder on a white piece of paper and compare it to known F, FF, FFF

If you cannot tell, you could try a flash test by lighting a small pile on a sfae surface outdoors with a long lighter.  If it flashes, it mat well be a balck powder.  If it just burns fast - especially with color - it is porbably a more modern powder NOT for ML use.  Then you could try a light load without ball or patch and see how it ignites.

If that seems to work, you could try a light load with a cotton ball for compression.  If that goes bang you are on your own for further experiments.

If not sure wheter FF or FFF - treat it like FFF.

If really coarse, treat it like cannon powder and use for novelties.

I am adventursome - so would handle with care, but I would definitely play with it.

Others may be more cautious and use it in the garden as was suggested.

Disclaimer - without knowing the whole story on the package or contents you put yourself at risk - and the opinions given by the members or participants in this discussion should by no means be taken as expertise by which you should make a decision that could be harmful to yourself or others.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline flintlock62

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:05:13 AM »
Actually, I would dispose of it rather quickly.  It is against federal regulations for individuals to sell or give away explosives.  Black powder is classified as a  class A explosive.  At what ever rate, I would not shoot anything in my rifle I could not possitively identify.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.  - George Washington

Polititions and diapers need be changed often, and for the same reason.

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
The original owner was a MLer shooter. There is absolutely zero history to indicate that it is anything but regular black powder. A very experienced MLer buddy of mine said that black powder used to be sold in bags like this and could be bought at the hardware store or general store in bulk. He says it is probably just some old black powder bulk pack. The brown paper bag has a "recycle" emblem on it so it was for sure packaged since that recycling idea was in vogue. I got plenty of 2F so I will compare it to see if the granulation matches. The bag has a big magic marker "2" on it which I figure indicates it is 2F. I hope that is what it is as it will make a fine round of practice powder for some fun days at the range. Thanks for all your ideas. I assume all responsibility for whatever happens with it in my guns and I do appreciate all ya'lls input.

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »
A black powder quantity of unknown origin, quality, etc. is useless, IMHO.  Personally, I'd throw it out.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »
Let's look at it this way. If someone gave you an open can of powder marked FFG, would you use it? How do you know what it really is? You trust the marking on the can, right. Well, this bag is marked 2, so I kind of see it as being the same as the hypothetical open can.
If it looks like BP, and smells like BP.........
Like Fletcher suggests, there are a few tests that you can do to help decide too, along with weight. Weigh a known volume. How does it compare to known BP.
The bottom line is, do what you're comfortable with.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson