Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Need some Non toxic shot ideas  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 09:52:08 PM »
lead will flaten when struck bimoth crushes  up .
 as to heavy shot .
 for those reading this who may not know .
 be carful . its not recommended for  original muzzleloaders .
 infact im not sure it recommended for muzzleloaders at all .

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 10:23:37 PM »
I really can't tell the difference between bismuth and lead holding it in my hands. How does a game warden?

Here in Washington State.....If you are hunting with a muzzleloader and your gun is loaded when checked, he'll ask that you pull the OS Card and dump your shot, which he then checks with a Shot Magnet....Bismuth is diamagnetic (which means it repels), steel is magnetic (Meaning it attracts.) and Lead is neutral.

Same thing with a modern shotgun, he asks you to unload it on the ground, then he runs a "mag gauge" into the magazine to see if your plug is in, and then he uses the magnet on the shells...

He / she will most likely check ever shell, or every "load" on you.

A violation here in Washington means the automatic loss of your gun, and quite often your truck or boat along with it.

Our Game Department is comprised of an absolutely great bunch of guys and gals, they will actually go a long, long way out of their way in order to help you and, on top of that,  they are some of the most pleasant people you will ever meet.
That is as long as you don't violate the rules. When that happens they have unbelievable enforcement powers!

Perhaps all this is as it should be, I am not one to say. But I will say I try hard to follow the rules and I'm none the worse off for it..

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:33 AM »
When I tried shooting ducks with bismuth it seemed like I was shooting table salt! You cold see the feathers puff with a hit and the duck just kept right on flying. It was a pitiful killer, worse than steel.
   As for barrel damage lots of folks think barrel damage with steel or any of the new lead substitutes is mostly unfounded ole-wives tails. Admittedly I use shot cups so the shot really does not touch the barrel anyway in my guns. I just have always heard about barrel damage but have never ever had a single person substantiate it or show me a barrel that had been damaged. Some of you may know of such things.
   As for game wardens, if you have some good ones then you are very fortunate. Ours are underpaid egotists on a mission to ruin somebody's day. They are not there to help, they are there to find something to give you a ticket for. Waterfowl checks are the worst ones. The sacred duck will get you a ticket faster than anything else so you better make sure you do NOT have any lead shot. Most of our guys are too lazy to actually check you in the field so lots of them just sit up in the truck and then try to give folks tickets for stuff they "think" they were doing out in the woods.