Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Needle opinions?  (Read 755 times)

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
Needle opinions?
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
My harness needles are about to get tossed. Been using 'em for a goodly time. It's that their eyes are getting too small for MY eyes. That and the fact that I've made the shift from artifical sinew to waxed linen, and just can't seem to get that fat thread into that wee eye anymore.

So--solution? Anyone use sailmaker's needles? if that's a bad idea, why? And then what about these "stitching needles?" They sure have a large enough eye!

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 08:07:35 PM »
The problem with a needle with a big eye is that they are harder to get through the hole you punch with the standard awl.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »
Kermit, sail makers needles will leave a larger hole after the stitch goes through, of course, that depends on thediameter of the thread, seeing how the needle has a larger diameter on the point than the eye. The needles you've shown look like the ones I use, I buy them by the 100 pk from Tandy, the sides of the eye are thiun enough that they will collapse some to the diameter of the hole your awl makes
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:17:53 PM »
Thanks, Jim--think I'll give 'em a try. I can always go back, I reckon.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »
Sail needles, like Beaverman said, have a body larger than the loaded eye.  They're made that way to ease the passage of the needle through the hole.  They also are very sharp and have almost a cutting edge on the corners of the body so no awl is needed.  

Harness needles are dull and have round bodies.  The loaded eye is as large or larger than the body so the craftsman must select an awl to make a large enough hole to allow the loaded needle to pass through the hole.  

Glover's needles are for sewing the softest and thinnest of leathers with the finest of threads only and are bloody well useless for anything else.

I've sewn a bit of canvas and leather and much prefer sail needles and a sailmaker's sewing palm.  Be aware if you're looking for a palm not to get a roping palm.  Sewing styles are chosen for differing purposes.  If your seam in leather must be watertight, a harness needle and suitable sized awl are necessary. If sewing clothing or articles not needing a water tight seam, a sail needle and palm are very much faster.   Using a sail needle without a palm is a bloody, painful business.  Fun to watch, though.

All this said, palms are harder to come by now than they were even twenty short years ago.  No, mine is not for sale.  

As always, your mileage may indeed, vary.   Sometimes widely.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »
Question what size and brand thread are you using?
What size needles are you using?
The needle should match the thread size. i.e 5 cord thread works best with a single 0 (single aught) needle, 4 cord with a number 1, 6 cord use a double 0

Also you should taper your thread ends when using linen........lightly scrape about 1/2-3/4" of the ends of the thread with a sharp blade held perpindicular to the thread - rewax the thread ends if need be and then twirl them between your fingers to get a nice tapered end.........

FWIW - Osborne or John James harness needles are much better then the current crop of the Tandy/LF needles - I hate breaking needles  :evil:
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf

Offline gelsenbeck

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #572 Expiration Date 1/29/2020
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 06:01:23 AM »
Kermit, I've been having the same problem until I bought Tandy's harness needle, size 0.  I haven't had any problem threading 5 cord through the eye.  I still use an Optivisor to do it though..... Hey, I'm getting old, lol.
Gary
Proud Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA).
TMA Member #572
Jan 2018 to Jan 2020