Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Clay Pipe's  (Read 703 times)

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
Clay Pipe's
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »
I like to toke on my pipe every now and then and my pipe of choice is the one that I made from a deer antler.
I have read in numerous books about how our forefathers smoked from clay pipes and I have never done that.
I was wondering if any of you guy's knew of where I could get a clay pipe from so that I could try taking a smoke from one of them. I wouldn't even know where to look so your help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »
Jas. Townsend sells good clay pipes at a fair price. Their website is:
https://www.jas-townsend.com
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »
I  love my pipe .  
 I don’t know how many I have  maybe 15-20 ????
 I do enjoy my clay’s . Myself I find a quality  clay smokes much better  then  most anything I have .  I also find , I don’t have to scrape  them anywhere near what I do my modern  ones .
 Some draw backs are that the bowls get  real hot . . They also over time will darken and  seep tar through the clay . When you think about it though . that’s really a good thing . Its also probably one of the reasons they don’t clog as easily as a modern pip .
 However unlike modern pipes .  If the pipe gets to  dirty , just  set it in the fire  and the  heat will cook out the tar out of it

One of the issues I have with the pipes the traders  like Townson , ToW  and other often sell  is that they are IMO cheep  with very thin walls on the stems .thus you have to be careful with them or they will easily snap .
Well frankly  they all snap  easy . But cheaper ones more then most .

This last Christmas  a  good friend of mine bought me a set of  clays , from this company
http://www.pipeshoppe.com/

2) Tavern Pipe’s  a long stem 16  and a short stem 8
1)Elizabethan
1) Dutch  Gouda
 Because I been cutting back on the amount I smoke , I  have been smoking the Elizabethan .
 it’s a short pipe with a thick stem and small bowl .  doesn’t take much  tobacco. Yet I still find it  satisfying and doesnt waste tabacco  .  Also another + is that because its small and thick stemmed , its more easily carried  and less likely  to have the stem break .
 Now speaking of  the stem issue .  Through the years I have had many a clay pipe . Most times the stem will break  about mid point . Thus  the pipe is still usable . But with the bigger bowls  your fingers do get rather hot .
 . don’t discard it though . Just quill the stem  .
 Normally I find a clay lasts me about ohm???  1 to 2 years   if im careful

I would have to say that if I were to  need anymore clay pipes . The above company is where I would go.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »
The best price I've seen lately is from Turkey foot Trading.  

http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/    These are good people to deal with.  Very good.  Some of their prices are silly cheap.  Their goods, however, are top notch.

Clay pipes are what tobacco blenders use because they require no break in and do not influence the flavor of the tobacco.

Like Captchee says, to clean a clay pipe simply lay it in the coals of your fire and allow it to burn clean.  It will come out clean as new.  

Don't do as I did with a clay bowl pipe with a reed stem.   I still use the bowl, but the stem.........  Reed stems do not stand up to burning heat all that well.

I'm not a habitual tobacco user and have clay pipes that are over thirty years old.  They may well be older, but I've only owned and smoked 'em for thirty years.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:31:18 PM »
Thanks for the websites guy's, I will definately check them out.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011