Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: DO YOU WEAR YOUR RIFLE POUCH ON THE RIGHT OR LEFT AND WHY?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline riverrat

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 12:53:58 PM »
I wear my shooting bag and powder horn on right side, I'm right handed.  My haversack is on the left side.  Hey Beaverman, I hope you post some pictures of your finished bags.  I have used your large shot pouch and I am interested in more of your stuff.
TMA Charter Member #91
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
PA Federation of BP Shooters
DAV Life Member
PA Longbow Assoc
NMLRA

Offline Gates County Freetrapper

• TMA Forum Member
Right side...
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 05:40:28 PM »
I'm right handed. I wear bag and horn on right side. It works better for me that way. I wear round ball bag and my knife on the left.
"Home to me is where I stand!"
         TMA #23 Exp. 7/01/08

Offline Longknife

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 06:10:20 PM »
On the right....right handed. I started wearing it there because of the old saying "Right makes might!"...and I need all the help I can get!!!!!!!

Really, I pour my powder in the measure (held in my left hand) with my right hand, cut my patch with my knife in my right hand etc...it just seemed more natural flowing to wear my bag on the right
"In disputes, be not so desirous to overcome as not to give liberty to each to deliver his opinion" George Washington
------------------------------------------------------
Dave Poss-TMA President
Charter member #5 and co-founder

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 01:29:08 PM »
I'm left handed and wear my bag on my left and horn on my right (it kept banging on my rifle when  carried it on the left).

Jon
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
Do yyou wear pouch left or right.
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2006, 08:39:32 PM »
I'm right handed,but carry my bag on the left and horn(s) on the right. I have the spout stopper made with the charger built into them.that way i don't have to fish it out of the bag. I also carry a small loading block with patched round balls on the right. This set-up ,makes for easy and rapid reloading without going to the pouch.It also keeps the rifle path clear.I carry my hunting/patch knife over my right hip when cutting patches at the muzzle,there's no bag to interfere with reaching the knife.  :)
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2006, 12:07:16 PM »
Basically it is because of the persona I've selected.  The 95th wore their cartridge boxes and ball bags on the right side so that is where I wear all my shooting bags.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »
on the right with my horn . this way i don’t fumble  when reaching for  either my priming horn or   led or what ever I may be reaching for .
 On my left I have either my haversack or  bead roll .
  Also because im right handed  my left side is my lead side when shooting .  Having my shoot bag on my right gets it completely out of the way  when firing  .while keeping my right hand free to load  or grab me  hawk to fend off them pesky,  theivin  militia or squatting farmers ;)

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 11:45:25 PM »
Wear it on the right, with my horn.I also carry a haversack on the rt. rear & a knife + a hatchet. How do I balance it ?? A pistol & some times a hunting sword.

In 1812 uni a Baker sword bayonett or Scots broad sword, & a pistol on the left.

Do I walk funny ?? yup. But then it works for me  :)

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 07:57:06 PM »
I wear my bag on the right so the shoulder strap does not get in the way of the rifle butt.  I can't believe nobody else said that already!

I have my patch knife and short starter in little pouches on the strap.  I hang my horn, measure and capper, and ball bag on leather thongs around my neck.  I jingle and jangle like an ol plow mule, but everything is fast and handy that way.

When it is Fort Shoot time, I replace the ball bag with speed blocks and change the adjustable spout measure to a fixed open measure.

Like Red Green, it ain't very handsome but it is Handy!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 01:29:48 PM »
I wear my bag and horn on the left side.
I am right handed.
As has been said before, it does keep the rifle and bag/horn from getting together.  Also, i see it as a possible safety advantage, keeping the powder container as far as possible away from the flash of ignition.  Especially important for folks that tie the stopper onto the horn and forget to put it back into the horn spout when loading.  Just let 'er dangle!!!
I notice that October Country builds all their pouches standard left side carry.  That's interesting.  I also noticed that the fleece bag that Cabela's offers is set up for left hand carry.  Hmmmmm.  Thinking back on other pouches, I think the Thompson Center bag was universal as was the Uncle Mikes.  I think they both used a three piece strap.
Well, who knows?  I think any way one does it is right.
Beaverman, why not build the bags so they hang from rings and rivet the straps on when they are sold, as the customer wants them.  It's a thought.  And it makes for a bag that hangs well, too.  That way you could get the pouches sewn up ahead of time and determine carry side when sold.  RE: the short starter loop on the side, it's no big deal to put one on each side of the pouch.  Make it a lot more universal.  Course, what do I know?

Big Smoke
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 10:35:55 PM »
:rotf  what do you know!!!!!! you a funny man!  great idea smoke, think ill have to do that on the next ones i finish , have 5 diff cut out , holed and ready to stitch, guess im off to the harfware store for some brass rings!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 11:11:23 PM »
One of the pouches I have has just that. When I got it itwas set for rt side carry and I just opened the brass rings and swapped the strap.

Jon
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
Poll
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 08:17:45 AM »
Being right handed I carry everything,but my  knife on the left
 side or slung around my back on the left side....For the most part my right side is clear of most accoustements. While in the hunting
mode I may not carry anything but  my gun,knife and shooting
bag(on left side).
                           snake-eyes :)
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline vermontfreedom

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 05:44:39 PM »
I'm a righty. Wear it on the right. Easier to access while holding the rifle in the left or tucked under arm. Carry my rifle in the right (like a spear), otherwise cradled in crook of my left, so bag is always out of the way off my right hip.
--VermontFreedom--
TMA Charter Member #135 (renewed 20091128)

Offline Roamer

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2006, 10:37:48 AM »
I'm right handed.  I wear my shooting bag on the right with the horn above it, under my elbow.  My haversack hangs high on the left, but easy to get into. I can use my elbows to help control any movement of the gear.    I hold my rifle in the crook of my left arm, while handling the horn and accessories while reloading.   While in the field, I keep a ball block ready, so all I have to do is pour a charge from the horn, load from the block, then wipe the pan and flint, prime and I'm ready to fire again.   Takes longer to say it than do it.
Charter member # 31
Expires 8/15/09