Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Conicals in slow PRB twist?

<< < (2/23) > >>

jbullard1:
I don't think a sabot will help at all
Wish I had a mold for a 54 maxi/minnie or such I'd cast some and send them to you just for testing

Fletcher:
Just stick with PRB... They are accurate and powerful enough to take any game or knock over any competition target you are going to run into.

I am waiting to see how Longhunter does on Elephant, Rhino and Cape Buffalo with his PRB guns - but I have high hopes!!!

Bigsmoke:
It seems the the saboted rounds need a faster twist barrel than a maxi does.  Fuhgedaboutit.

AxelP:
I was told that in the moderate twist category (1:48 or 56) if you really load stout, and get above 2000 fps, that it might work, but  in a 1:66 you wont be able to get the velocity up high enuff to stablize the conical.

I also was told that those plastic sabots are really bad with deep groove slow-twist barrels. The powder will burn past the gaps and melt the plastic all in your bore and its a real pain to get cleaned up...

Axe

Captchee:
whelp im going to step on alot of peoples toes here and go against the laws of physics and tell you yes
 I know because I do it .
 My load for my house rifle is 110 grains of 3 F
 She has very large deep  round bottom rifling  and shooting a a 435 grain Burton  pattern minie  she will hold an 8 inch pattern at 100 yards .  
 So  IMO it depend on what type of rifling you have and how well the conical seals to the bore

here is a photo of the minie i use . it shows a 58 but i use a 54 cal  of the same design

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version