Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

New Colt 1860; need help! :-)

<< < (2/7) > >>

Bigsmoke:
Mark,
Notice that I said "accurate" charge would be in the neighborhood of 25 grains.  No doubt you can load nearly 40 - 45 grains, but...

As I mentioned, the Blue Book I have is a bit dated and the prices that things bring on an auction site are usually sqewed - the auction excitement getting involved and all.

Frankly, if I were going to use a BP revolver for hunting purposes, I would use a Ruger.

mark davidson:
John,
   How bad does accuracy go downhill at around 30 grains of powder?  Is the 23 grain load potent enough to punch a hole in a deer and git-r-done?  Tell me why you lean toward the Ruger. I could get two Rugers for the cost of the Colt. I am a pretty big COLT fan actually in many things so I was drawn like a magnet to the Colt 1860. I love Ruger handguns too and have several but the c&b Ruger does not speak to me like the Colt even though I know the sights are better.
    Jerry, You got a cap and ball gun too?  What kind?  Ever hunt  with it?

By the way, Do I absolutely have to use the #10 caps or will the #11s work just fine??

R.M.:
I certainly wouldn't be trying to put 40gr in a Colt, if it does fit, which I doubt. A Ruger can handle 40gr.
If it's horsepower you want, there are several better guns that can produce it. If you must have a revolver, go to a Walker, but I would suggest a single-shot like the Patriot or Trapper.

Bigsmoke:
Why would I go with a Ruger?  Well, let's see.  The action is a lot more rugged.  The sights are a lot better.  The powder capacity is more.  Inherintly it is a more accurate pistol.
For the Colt, it is a more aesthetically pleasing piece of machinery.
If I was going strictly for hunting and PC didn't matter, I would use a Kahnke pistol.  Single shot, up to .54 caliber, rugged action, will handle some serious powder charges, excellent sights, etc.

Voyageur:
8)  "Doc"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version