Traditional Firearms > Pre-Flintock Firearms

fuse lock question

<< < (2/2)

MedicineSoldier:
It can be a lot of fun competing against cap & flint shooters with a match lock.  Last summer at the High Plains Regional Rendezvous I won the smoothbore match using my matchlock.   It was a combination of shot & roundball shooting.  I didn't have much luck during the the clay pidgeon aerial shots but the number of hits on the turkey head gave me clear advantage while using shot.  The funny thing is that I had someohow forgotten my normal wads and just used grass I pulled  as I was loading.

Medicine Soldier

bluelake:

--- Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp" ---Great information ! I have regressed from cap lock to flint , and who knows ? if I"m around long enough , may take another step back in time .
--- End quote ---

Hehehe...  I went the other direction: I started with a matchlock musket and then progressed to flint and cap longarms.  Actually, while shooting matchlock, I was also shooting a flint pistol and cap 'n ball revolver, so I also shot them around the same time.  They're all great fun.

As for a burning match, I have a stick with a holder on top that I keep it on--at a distance--while I'm loading; I retrieve the match as a last step.  I could never get used to holding a burning match while loading, although, as mentioned, that is the way it was done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version