Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: I cut my TC barrel off today  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
I cut my TC barrel off today
« on: August 04, 2009, 10:50:33 PM »
Well, maybe I got too bored, but I had been considering it for a while. I had a TC roundball twist, barrel, 54cal. with that QLA easy load muzzle.

I had been tempted to cut it shorter for a while, and since I had another barrel for it, anyway, I cut it off pretty short, maybe too short by most standards. It was a 31 inch barrel, and I cut it down to about 23 inches or so. I sorta wanted  to make a light, but powerful short rifle out of it, for deer hunting, and I figured I didn't have much to loose.

This maynot be very traditional, but I never really liked the sights either. So, I am going to cut a dovetail back in the front, and another in the rear and get rid if that big old rear sight, also. I had a rear sight off of a Pre-64 Winchester Model 94 leveraction, and I have noticed that my eyes can usually see a set of pre-64 win sights pretty good, so I cut the barrel off, to more of less duplicate the sight radius and everthing.

I am going to take it to work tomorrow and recrown the barrel, and cut the dovetails. I figure with 70 grs  to 80 grains or so of 2 or 3F, that hopefully I will still have enough velocity, and hopefully better accuracy then before.

Does any shoot a barrel this short, and how did it do?
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »
Not that large caliber,  but I made up a .30 cal. drop in barrel for my T-C Hawken a few years back.  Numrich had a bunch of 15/16" across the flats .30 ML barrels for cheap so I went for it.  I ended up cutting the barrel to about 23" length to get it to balance between the front of the lock plate and the rear sight.    I just kept cutting it off an inch at a time until it felt right.    Seems to shoot just fine.

I get some darn funny looks when I unleash that thing.  My most accurate load is a .27 buckshot, #4 I think, powered by about 7 gr. or so of 3F.  I've never had a chance to chronograph that load, but it will put little holes in a 2" cluster at 50 yds off hand.   Pretty much minute of soda cracker or pop can.

I've started half a dozen kids out on it as it has all the kick of an anemic yellow kitten, yet is a real muzzleloader.  Kids love it.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline mossie

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »
I have a TC PA Hunter .50 caliber with a 21" barrel and shoot 80 grains of Swiss 2f .495 ball and a 10oz. blue jean patch and it's very accurate. I never took a deer yet with the roundball load yet but I did take a couple with the 240 grain PA conicals (paper patched to fit snug) out of it and it worked just fine at about 65 yards. I hit one right below the ear with it one year and it dropped on the spot.

Your .54 should work just fine if your load is tight enough to burn enough powder in the short barrel. I would look into some Swiss 3f for the short barrels; I use Swiss 2f now because that's what I have but will definately get some Swiss 3f next time I order. It should burn faster and provide more velocity than either Goex 3f or Swiss 2f.

I also have always been quite fond of the Winchester 94 sight system and I think it would be outstanding on a muzzleloader. I have taken a great deal of whitetails here in PA over the years with a Winchester 94 30-30. I just love how the rifle handles and I like the globe on the front sight.

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:00:03 PM »
Thanks, for the replys, very interesting
TMA # 496  8/16/09