Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: cva mountain rifle lock  (Read 1522 times)

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
cva mountain rifle lock
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:46:17 PM »
What anyone have a percussion cva mountain rifle lock that they would sell for around $25?
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:12:38 AM »
Good luck.  That was the price of a "Deluxe" Manton lock back in the early eighties.  The cheapest I have seen on some of the auction sites have been around $90.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:52:11 AM »
Pm me if you are interested in getting one from an e-bay seller and I'll give you his name and e-mail
he buys guns and parts them out
You will need to know what other styles will will fit
I got a cva hawken lock from him for $30.00 looked new and a new unfired barrel for $60
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 05:50:43 PM »
Quote from: "Wyoming Mike"
Good luck.  That was the price of a "Deluxe" Manton lock back in the early eighties.  The cheapest I have seen on some of the auction sites have been around $90.

The last cva mountain rifle percussion lock I bought on ebay was $23.  The reason that I need another one is because my son bought a stock with the hardware on it the other day for $5!  I don't want to spend a lot for a lock because we will probably sell the rifle when it is complete.  We have one of the USA made .50 barrels on it now.  The only thing left to buy is a lock and a ramrod.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »
heck i would by it right now if the barrel is clean   without the lock .  the lock wasnt worth beans anyway  but the barrel and stock were very good .
 which lock is it , the large lock  or the small one ?
. real problem is finding one that the main spring is worth anythin on .
 ill have to look , i may have one around  or at least enough parts for one . the real problem would be  finding a fly for the tumbler ???
 lwt me know which lock  though and ill check

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:31:45 AM »
Sorry, that was the Deluxe Maslin rather than Manton.  Cap, the Mountain rifle had the small CVA Maslin lock with a bridle and tumbler with a fly.  I used to use them to replace the cheaper locks on CVA Kentucky pistols and rifles and then fit them with a Pedersolli single set trigger.  In those days it was a $50 upgrade that really made the guns nice to shoot.

There are a ton of the cheaper locks around but not many of the Deluxe models with the bridle and fly.

wwpete52: Check the auction and muzzleloading sites and see what you can find.  Sometimes you can find a deal like you got before.  Make sure they do not trying to move one of the cheaper locks on you.  Finding a Mountain Rifle ramrod may be another problem.  You may find one around.  As I remember they were a size in between a 5/16" and 3/8" with aluminum tips.  When I restocked my Mountain Rifle I ended up building one out of 3/8" hickory with a german silver tip.  If you are just going resell it, that might be the way to go.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:02:55 AM »
yes mike , i know . however there still is two different styles of locks that will fit and work .
1 the original American lock
2 the Jukar lock from later rifles

the early lock is better . however it still had main spring issues .
 the later lock had those issues as well as  soft tumblers, sear and  soft lock plate .
 most likely thats why the lock is missing anyway .

the later locks  will fit and   work with  the same trigger  but as i said before , are alittle larger

myself i wouldn’t mess with  finding a original lock  but would put one  of the LPRs on there . that way you would have a  good lock , trigger  that = the  Douglas or Sharon barrel

early American made lock

later Jukar made lock  which is still used today
 the  barrels and trigger from the old rifle will fit in the newer rifle . but the locks are diffrent

for those interested , the Possible shoppe sells the later CVA mountain rifles for around 300.
well i should say used to . if they had any , it would be while sullies last

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
This is what the lock I am looking for looks like.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 01:02:50 PM »
Thats the smaller of the two.L&R sells the replacement as allready stated and it is refered to as small maslin.The large l&r cva replacement is refered to as cva hawken.track shows a good pix of the difference.I'd still be interested in the barrel as well.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
Re: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »
Quote from: "ridjrunr"
Thats the smaller of the two.L&R sells the replacement as allready stated and it is refered to as small maslin.The large l&r cva replacement is refered to as cva hawken.track shows a good pix of the difference.I'd still be interested in the barrel as well.

yep what dan said
 Dixie also sells a couple diffrent locks based on the Maslin .
 but again thats the old lock plate design , not the new one .

if i reall right didnt we go through this with your mountian rifle dan ?
 seems like  one of the lock plates i had was to big , but the parts interchanged  on it .
 wasnt that the rifle we tried to re temper the main spring on ?

also the thing to keep in mind  is you want that lockplate  but it must also carry a bridled tumbler  with a fly .
  CVA and jukar both used that lock plate design but  only a given few carried the briddle and fly  for the double set

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
yes,captchee.we did try to retemper the cva mainspring but it did not get much stronger.then I bought a spring from a guy in OR that was supposed to be new and it was a weak one as well.Its just a fact that the cva lock were cheap, and the springs of poor quality.I was told that a l& r spring can be made to fit the small cva,but have never tried it. ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
Quote from: "wwpete52"
The reason that I need another one is because my son bought a stock with the hardware on it the other day for $5!  

Hey Pete,

I got a $10-spot if your son wants to double his money...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 03:28:53 PM »
now , now Riley LOL
ill doubel Riley's offer lol  :P

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
ya
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 03:48:09 PM »
oh boy,then the barrel would be without and heck,..... pete could just send it to me!!  :laffing  :laffing
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21