Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Would it be a terrible traditional sin?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
Would it be a terrible traditional sin?
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:12:01 AM »
I took ownership of that great looking GPR. the other day, the gentlemen had explained to me that he ordered a set of sights from Lyman. They are the white front bead with a folding rear sight that is adustable.
My eyes are not the best in the world and although these sights are not what I would call strictly traditional sights, I can see them good, so would it be a traditional sin to leave them on?   :(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 03:16:30 PM by jtwodogs »
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »
Jack
I say if they work for you, then use them

That being said, certain events may not allow them

Jerry
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »
Jack, whatever works for you, most rondys that are held out in this neck of the woods sites requirements are iron sites only, no peep sites, if their the factory sites from Lyman, should be just fine, besides your the one shooting it!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
I might add,... that most Rondys "frown" on adjusting adjustable sights (anytime) DURING a shooting match, and might even disqualify a participant caught doing so.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 01:49:44 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
I might add,... that most Rondys "frown" on adjusting adjustable sights (anytime) DURING a shooting match, and might even disqualify a participant caught doing so.

I would agree with Rondo.
However, how many folks actually adjust their sights after they are zeroed in?

I've never seen a "white" front bead on a GPR, maybe that's an add on. But it doesn't matter, as long as it is not luminescent and you don't go adjusting the sights on line you should never have a problem.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »
I have found that the more 'primitive' or historically correct the events planners are looking to achieve, the stricter the rules.

I have a T/C Hawken that is acceptable at most clubs rondys, but would not be at some events.  Then I have to bring out the Pennsylvania long rifle with non adjustable iron.  Both shoot fine, it is just that the T/C sights are easier for these old eyes to focus.

Also, I have been told that the T/C coil spring lock is not acceptable some places because not PC/HC
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:22:22 PM by Fletcher »
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »
I may pick up a set of iron sights for it. I think it would look better, but I do not think I could see them as well. Will have to post some pics later on.
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline oomcurt

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »
Well...imo...yes, there are places where adjustable sights are frowned upon....I simply do not go to such places or events. What can work for one, is simply affix a piece of tape over the adjusting screws...or have the range officer do it or monitor you while you do it. Re luminescent front sights....I dunno....the club I belong to allows one to "paint" the front sight with a magic marker. Frankly, I consider some of these "over the top PC people a little odd. They want to do most anything to "feel" what it was like...yet, I wonder if they had the opportunity to live that life they are interested in for a few years full time...I don't think there would be many takers.
TMA member #177
Interest: Rocky Mt'n Fur Trade
March 1 2008

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
I've been  Rendezvousing for a long time, even been to a pretty strict "Primitive" and haven't ever seen anyone hassled over sights with the one exception of a guy trying to get by with using a scope on a T-C Hawken.   He was so used to it, he didn't think about it.  When the Booshway talked to him, he took the scope off and apologized.  Other than that one time, nada.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:24:58 AM »
I believe that if ones eyes have come to the point that a more modern type of sight is needed that it is ok to use what you need to stay in the sport, be it adjustable or peeps, it may cause one to be disqualified at some events, a good deal would be a special event for those who need modern sites due to medical reasons.Folks who install modern sights and use modern bullest to gain an edge over the traditional stuff, is a different story, unfortunately many states allow this in their hunting season which has taken the "tradition" out of them