Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: I need a pair of snowshoes. Anyone make thier own?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
I need a pair of snowshoes. Anyone make thier own?
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:24:38 PM »
Well, I had to walk in to the range this am(and back out)  snow was too deep for the jeep, almost too deep for me.   Has anyone ever made thier own snowshoes?  Suggestions, helpfull how to hints.?    Thanks   Sean
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:32:39 PM »
Our Scout Troop makes 'em, but non-traditional. I would check evil bay and Craigslist first...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »
I've made them many years ago. The ones we made were of ash frames and rawhide webs. I'll dig around and see if I have any thing that resembles instructions. You should find a sight on the web that has instructions for both traditional and modern versions.  Several years ago there was a native American tribe that was selling them ( not cheap ). Unless you intend on making them a part  of your traditional winter gear, I'd just go with the modsern version. There bwas an article in the Bacwoodsman Mag. a couple of years ago on making a pair out of aluminum conduit.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »
Most Snowshoe makers have gone to aluminum frames. I get my snowshoes from this company, they still make em the old way.
http://www.northwoodsoutfitters.com/Pag ... wshoes.htm

I like the Algonquin style which isn't pictured on their site but you can get them.

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »
Here's another place to get a kit...

http://snowshoe.com/index.cfm?pageid=30
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:28:27 PM »
If I was close enough, I'd be taking advantage of this school:

http://www.northhouse.org/courses/cours ... cfm/tid/10

You'll see a class in snowshoe making where you finish a pair. Also longbow making. And the one I'd be interested in is in making Nordic/cross-country skis.

I made three different pairs of skis many years back, but I'm sure I missed some of the tricks that could be picked up from these folks. Especially the ski poles. Ready for a muzzleloading biathalon? I think New Englanders and upper Midwesterners do that sort of stuff on snowshoes. What about jaegers and wood skis?

But I digress.  :oops:
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:37:47 PM »
Longhunter, Riley checked out the sights, overall I think the prices are great. Sean, unless you have used shoes before,
i'd suggest going with cross-country-runners and avoid the bearpaws for your first shoes. Be prepared for severee " charlie-horse syndrom " the first time out.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Quartermaster James

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
If you just want a pair to keep in the back of the jeep, Sportsman's Guide has US Milspec magnesium frames with bindings real cheap right now.
TMA Member #506 - Membership Expires 09/23/11
Barlow Trail Long Rifles
Washington State Muzzleloaders Association

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
Longhunter, Riley checked out the sites, overall I think the prices are great.

Sean, unless you have used shoes before, I'd suggest going with cross-country-runners and avoid the bearpaws for your first shoes.  Be prepared for severe " charlie-horse syndrome " the first time out.

Make that the first four or five or so times out.   Since quinine pills have been banned by our lords in Wash Dee Cee,  I drink 6-8 oz of tonic water at bed time when I'm concerned about cramping during my sleep.  Tonic water contains enough quinine to be of help.

There's a book, "The Complete How-To Book of Indiancraft" by W. Ben Hunt.   I got my copy from Tandy in the late 70's.  It's written to appeal to mid and older teens but is full of good information for the superannuated pre-adult (That'd be me.)  Including two styles of snow shoes and bindings.  

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 08:04:08 PM »
US Milspec magnesium frames with bindings real cheap right now.

IMMIGRANTS!!! ..... :rotf  :rotf
Ron LaClair

RON_LACLAIR.html

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »
Three Hawks, the fastest working potion I've found is two tablespoons of raw honeyand two of apple cider viniger ina small glass of water.  Don't try white viniger as its not viniger and willnot work. This mix will give fast relief once they start.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 02:48:55 AM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
Three Hawks, the fastest working potion I've found is two tablespoons of raw honeyand two of apple cider viniger ina small glass of water.  Don't try white viniger as its not viniger and willnot work. This mix will give fast relief once they start.

Your formula is now written down in my little notebook of remedies.  I've seen similar recipes before.    There's a little roadside stand on the Stevens Pass Highway, (US 2) just as one begins the climb into the pass that sells wild local honey including fireweed, huckleberry and blackberry.  They usually have beeswax too.   Next time I go up that way I'll be stopping for a few pounds of honey and wax.  There's a hippie store nearby, too. I'll have to see if they've got raw honey, preferably wild and local.   When I was a kid one of my friends had some horrible allergies and his doc told them to find raw, local honey and use that instead of sugar, syrup and any other sweeteners for a few months.  His allergies disappeared in about three weeks.  They got their honey from the stand on Highway 2.  This was in the mid 60's.   I used to love to go over to Lyle's house for breakfast, honey on Cheerios makes 'em actually good to eat.  Same for toast, pancakes, waffles, muffins, oatmeal, in your tea, milk and even coffee.  Honey in coffee takes some getting used to.  

Anyway,  Thanks for the recipe, much appreciated.

Three Hawks

I started having leg cramps about the time my knees went bad and I had one replaced.  Few things are as unpleasant as leg and foot cramps waking you up in the night.  The missus gets 'em too.
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »
Three Hawks, You certainly have a good grasp on the importance of diet on our general health. I agree with you 100%. I have to put a curb on my tendancy to grt in a rant about the way we, as a whole have been led astray from a healthy diet to accepting the easy way out and buying the trash foods on trhe super-market shelves, myself included.
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »
Em shoes come in mighty handy when you gotta hunt  meat in the winter.

Ron LaClair

RON_LACLAIR.html

Offline trent/OH

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 10:46:50 PM »
shopgoodwill.com often has snowshoes for sale. Often they are modern, but not always. At this moment they have a pair of 10"x56" traditional shoes, bidding about $30. That may go up, but it may be worth a look-see.