Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Tennis Shoe's?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
Tennis Shoe's?
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »
Hey guy's, I need your help and advise. I am slowly working on getting me some PC clothe's that would pertain to a Longhunter. I have a shirt and a hunting frock so far and pants are next on my list.
My question to you today pertains to shoes. You see, I wear brown leather tennis shoes because I have a prosthesis on my left leg and I have a special brace and a shoe filler on my right leg because I only have half of a foot on my right side. Do you guy's think that I could get by wearing my tennis shoe's because of my situation if I ever went to a meet or gathering requiring PC clothing?
Your help and advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
One of my friends (now passed away)wore larger mocassins that fit snuggley over his sneakers ....this could be an option for you.
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »
yep .
 i have a local friend who does the same thing .
 one of his legs is  very much shorter then the other . so he has a special shoe for that foot .
 his moc , slip right on over his  TS

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
I have a friend that needed lots of foot corrective surgery, but before he had it, he, like others mentioned, had to have special shoes.  So, what we did, as he needed the extra traction that a modern sole would give him, is we used epoxy and a few very small screws to attach leather to the sides of the soles to the shoes.  We cut the leather, and sewed a center seam like a pair of "shoe packs", and they looked like the "shoe packs" (pretty much) that you see in one of the Mark Baker videos..., if you didn't look too hard at the bottom of the soles when he walked.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:32:52 PM »
I've seen guys attend primitive events in thoroughly modern wheelchairs. So what's the problem? I even know folks who show up in (shudder) titanium framed bifocals!!! :shock:
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline msuspartan

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
I am in need of a new knee so I have a older pair of Merrells that I am going to cover with leather to simulate mocs. People will have to deal with the non-period soles. The glasses I have are black framed and look fairly period but white metal is a bit much :shock: .

As to getting a pair of shoes that you can cover in leather to me will be very acceptable.

Cheers, DonK
Cheers,
Don
TMA #580
NRA Lifetime Member
NMLRA member
Conner LongRifles, Fishers, IN

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
I've seen guys attend primitive events in thoroughly modern wheelchairs. So what's the problem? I even know folks who show up in (shudder) titanium framed bifocals!

I know, I met a very nice lady in a Hoverround and Oxygen at a Market fair a few years ago..., I don't know what it is, but if you can walk folks expect some sort of proper footwear.  It's odd, but folks seem to think if you are mobile enough, you should do something about your feet.  

18th century frames won't really take bifocals, but I have seen folks get round, metal rims that would be 19th century style, and have bifocals put into those.  These don't seem to "standout" as bad.  On the other hand I have seen folks who wear glasses simply wear the modern frames, and are nowhere near to being legally blind without them.  Like would it kill a person to get at least metal frames and lenses shaped nearer the 18th century norm?  When I see a guy in geeker frames without really thick lenses, it makes me want to say, " Hey, Buddy Holly, how about proper eyewear?", but I'm not a dog-soldier at events....,

If you have folks going to the trouble to cover their shoes even when they have a serious ailment, (and I know of a fellow who is an amputee who is having a peg-leg made for him...) you'd think folks who simply spray paint the Nike's might do a bit more..., but how does one decide??

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
If you have folks going to the trouble to cover their shoes even when they have a serious ailment, (and I know of a fellow who is an amputee who is having a peg-leg made for himbut how does one decide??

speaking for myself . i appriciate someone who tries .
   obviously there is no way to conver some things up . but  trying to  fo the sake of  the enterpratation , sure goes a long way in my book

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:15 AM »
Thank's for the idea about getting a pair of moc's  that will cover my tennis shoes. I hadn't thought of doing that. I may try to find someone that can make me a pair of slip on moc's.
You guy's have come through once again. Thank you for your time.

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »
You might think about giving the folks at Fugawee a call to discuss your footwear needs. Shoes/boots, bootees are thoroughly PC, and I'd bet you could get your prosthetic needs met just fine.

While I still sometimes wear woodland mocs, most of the time I wear straight-lasted shoes. You can wear left/right shoes too. Still proper.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
Kermit, thanks for the information. I think that I will check them out.

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Snapper

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 01:40:42 PM »
I think part of the answer to your question will have to do with whether you're attending a juried event or not.  From my limited experience if it's a juried event, you'll be expected to be in some sort of period appropriate footwear.  If it isn't juried then the solutions suggested will probably work.

It might be worth it for you to speak to the organizer of the event, or events, your interested in attending.  I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you what will work (or not) at their event.

That's all for now.  Until next time...Be well.

snapper
TMA Member Number 646
Expires 10/22/12