Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: brogan?  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50:03 AM »
Quote from: "LightSeeker"
Russ,
   I bought a set of brogans back when I was thinking of doing some CW reenacting, but it never came to pass.  I have found them to be a bit slick on grass- Suggestions?????

dont know much about Brogans  bit i know with my corframs  that i had in the service " read as highly polished dress shoes used for  dress blue events
 The bottom  were  so slick you couldn’t stand  with any frost on the  grass .
So what we did was sipe the bottoms  of the soles  to  give alittle traction .

I whould also agree with beaver man about Whites . IMO no better boots
I have 3 pairs and only one has warn out .
 That was a set of Jump boots that  I bought  long, long ago .
they have seen mile after mile . took me half way around the world and back again .

I have two pair of heavy work boots , both have to be maybe 20??25 years old . One the soles are just about gone on, I bout them though used at a yard sale for 5 bucks .
 The 3rd pair is the one I wear all the time  while hunting ,fishing , hiking . Anytime im not im mocs or  my tennis shoes  that I need for work . I seem to recall I paid right at 200 for them in 1988? Realistically , I think probably they are the last pair of boots ill ever have to buy
  IMO there simply is no better boot  on the market

Offline Mike Ameling

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/firefromsteel
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »
A few people have been using those tie-on ice creepers to help solve the "slick sole" sleighride - on their shoes, boots, brogans, and even mocs.  But they do tear up modern floors, and can hurt your arch in your foot when walking on cement/aslphalt/cobblestones/rocks.  If those points don't poke down into what you are walking on, then you will be walking on top of those ice creepers.

But you really need to get them made to fit what you are wearing.  Too tight and they will rub your feet.  Too loose, and they will twist/slide/shift on you.  Tricky to get that "good fit".  And keep them laced/buckled on tight.

They aren't the ... cure all ... that so many people think they will be.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 08:32:16 PM »
Quote from: "LightSeeker"
Russ,
   I bought a set of brogans back when I was thinking of doing some CW reenacting, but it never came to pass.  I have found them to be a bit slick on grass- Suggestions?????

I don't know of anything that you can do "after the fact"....the shoes that I buy, in this catagory, are normally not very expensive and if I should find out that I made a bad decision on selecting the soles, I toss 'em....my boots are a different story.
If memory serves me right, this has only occured on two occasions with shoes, and both times it was my fault for not reading the box or making a good visual check of the soles before buying.
The old saying that, "a good deal may be only in the stores favor" can certainly become fact when it comes to buying footware.

My budget has never been such that I can afford the real high end of footware, a pair of Red Wings is really "splurging" and Hermans is more in line of reality for this ol'boy.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Craig Tx

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Member #332
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
Up until recently I've been wearing mainly the Fugawee Hi-lo's.

But a coupla months ago I bought a pair of Robert Land Hi-lo's from Najecki Reproductions, and I love 'em.   :rt th

Still breakin' 'em in but they're a fine boot.

Craig
Dios y Tejas!

TMA # 332
Renew: 5 Sept 2024

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
OK, here's a photo of the ones I ordered.  I bought them from Blockade Runner.  They are the black rough outs.  They were not the cheapest I could find but they were also not the most expensive either. I paid $79.99 for them.  Crescent City had a pair for $55 but they kind of looked cheap. So what do you think?  Did I screw up?
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 09:55:46 PM »
The brogans came today. I was suprised to see that they already had steel heel plates installed.  The shoes seem to be very well made.

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 05:22:42 PM »
I dunno if these things are still on/for sale or not, but I bought two pairs.  They look for all the world like a Jefferson bootie.  The soles have white stitching that responds well to a bit of Black shoe polish as to the sides of the soles. The soles seem to be a pva foam and have traction on most surfaces I've walked on.  With my bionic knees and bad back, they've been a Godsend.

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.a ... 1Prod=True

Good Luck,

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 06:42:34 PM »
Wow! Those do look like a Jefferson bootie!

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »
One thing that has me concerned about the brogans in slipping around.  I use to slide once in a while when I had the colonial shoes.  I wonder if I should put hobnails on the soles?  Now that I'm an old guy I really don't want to fall down.  I fell on my ass a couple of days ago when I went out to the barn wearing some slip on shoes.  There was some frost on the ground. It didn't feel so good. I think the shoes that Three Hawk just bought are a good idea.  Ain't period correct a bitch sometimes? There's a guy on ebay that sells great looking moosehide moccasins from the sole up but they have rubber soles.  I almost bought a pair.  I use to make all of my moccasins but I don't think my back could handle them now.  Getting old is fun.  It really is compared to the alternative!

Offline RichW

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
Quote from: "wwpete52"

You can cut these down.  Cut from just above the stitching in the back, to between the 2nd and third lace hole.

Not only was this popular during the Civil War, it also makes a shoe that is a dead ringer for those that were popular in the Upper Missouri fur trade.

You can drive ordinary carpet tacks into the heel for traction and longer wear on pavement.

Stay off linoleum unless your insurance covers hip replacement.  :?