Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Staying Warm Hunting  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Eric S Campbell

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »
I was out in the woods the other day in period clothes, when I went out the temp. was 28 degrees and when I came back in it was 39 degrees. There was also a little bit of wind chill.

I felt really good for a while, when I started my way back I had walked about a mile from my spot and the temp. was almost 40 degrees so I became a little warmer than I would have liked.

This is what I had on my upper body. A shirt, a light wool waistcoat, another shirt, a cour du roy waistcoat, a frock to keep my clothes clean, cotton neck scarf, and  flop hat.

On my lower body breeches, cotton stockings, wool leggings, and some buckle shoes.

I had a blanket with me to sit on, tied around me confederate style. I also had my dog Dolly with me which also kept me warm.

The blanket added alot of extra heat while I was walking, and so did the extra waistoat. I think two shirts and one wool waistcoat with my frock over it would have been fine. My feet stayed nice and warm too. But I don't have a problem with my feet. If my arms get cold my body does as well.

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
All I can say is wool and oil cloth.  I dress my normal period way and then add my oil cloth frock over my clothes and then top off everything with a 100% wool blanket coat.  the combo oil cloth/wool is warmer than my modern hunting clothes.  I also carry a 1/2 blanket to cover my legs and feet while sitting in my blind (all natural, no commercial tent) and it has worked well for me here in Michigan.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR

Offline Lady of the Woods

• TMA Forum Member
keeping warm
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
This was my first year for all period hunting. Stayed nice and toasty - got pretty wet opening day, it rained ALL 6 or 7 hours I think.
I wore wool britches, wool leggins, silk stockings, wool stockings (OH - I did wear boots whoops - guess I was 99% p.c.), silk shirt with linen over top, sleeved weskit, wool frock coat, silk head scarf, silk neck wrap, hunter orange tuque. wilde wool fingerless mitts.

no deer this year but good times...
zan
Lady of the Woods
member #358. Exp. 7/1/09.

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »
Now that's nice lookin'!  Much nicer than most people I see in the woods. 8)
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR