Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: T-C Pennsylvania Hunter is now .54 Caliber  (Read 2317 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
T-C Pennsylvania Hunter is now .54 Caliber
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
I had sent the barrel to Hoyt to either freshen it or rebore it, whatever he felt it needed.  It came back on Monday, no longer .50 caliber but now .542, with a note that it had a left hand twist.  I assume that meant that he couldn't freshen it so he enlarged the bore.  It looks good, though.  Now I need to pick up some .530 and .535 balls and put it through its paces.

Great man to deal with.  I had sent him enough payment to cover the freshening and shipping, he trusted me enough to mail it back, asking that I reimburse him the added cost of the rebore.  I am impressed! 
:hairy

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: T-C Pennsylvania Hunter is now .54 Caliber
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »
Yeah, but where are you going to find left hand twist balls? :Doh!
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
Hank, only you would come up with one like that. Only 15% of all RB's are cast as, left handed!! Silly guy!! BUT, the last time i talked to a deer, He said he couldn't care less. Only 5% of shooters could tell the difference.  :Doh!
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:40:47 PM »
I have a .45 mold that casts left hand ball; my other one cast R-H ball.

I've got a .45 rifle I've used to kill a lot of deer and it is accurate.  However, it has a bad spot about halfway down the bore.  Probably a "machine injury" that causes difficult loading sometimes.  I'd like to have it "freshened out" or if necessary, enlarged to .464" so I can shoot .454" revolver ball.  Can you PM me an idea of what Hoyt charges?  Thanks.  :pray:
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:25:42 PM »
Clarification: the original rifling was 1:66", LEFT hand twist.  The new rifling is 1:60, RIGHT hand twist.  And now WE are doing the twist....   :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »
Yeah, but where are you going to find left hand twist balls? :Doh!

Sounds painful  :P

IronHand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:17:14 PM »
Hank, only you would come up with one like that.

I try Buzz, I try. Have to keep my form up in case I'm in another camp with the like of you and Al. That was a tough crowd.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 02:54:46 AM »
Hank, only you would come up with one like that. Only 15% of all RB's are cast as, left handed!! Silly guy!! BUT, the last time i talked to a deer, He said he couldn't care less. Only 5% of shooters could tell the difference.  :Doh!

Buzz, my friend, did you know that only 2% of the entire shooting public could come up with those percentage figures you used?  :Doh!

Don't look to Hank for confirmation, He's too old, but he can tell you the exact percentage of left hand shooters during the Fur Trade era, but only after he looks it up on his tablet, and he's not sure if that 40mm shoulder mounted grenade launcher was a M-74, M-79, or a M-75, or if it was called "Ol' Thumper", or "Ol'Blooper"....oh, wait a minute...maybe that one was on me.
Anyway, Hank's to old to get good info from.
If ya want the facts, on just about anything, check with Al, He's da Man, and our walking talking Google guy!

BTW, Kees....are you sure ya ain't going need some .520 balls for that new riflegun of yours.
I'll get some off to ya. I betcha going like 'em in that new .542 barrel, that along with a .022 sail cloth, or denim patch should make that rifle smile.

Jus'sayin...

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 06:56:00 AM »
Facts???  I don't need no stinking facts!! (They always seem to get in the way of my preconceived notions).  Anyhoo, I'm getting a new style Progressive Rifling in my next ML...it'll start off with a left hand twist...then suddenly change to a right hand twist!  It'll shoot a .54cal knuckle ball... ::)
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 09:45:38 AM »
Clarification: the original rifling was 1:66", LEFT hand twist.  The new rifling is 1:60, RIGHT hand twist.  And now WE are doing the twist....   :laffing

~Kees~

Just for clarification, that means it was built as a southern hemisphere gun and has now been converted to shoot on this side of the equator. Just thought everyone wanted to know that...  :lol sign
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »
Speaking of "left hand twist" - something I found out many years ago at State Shoot...

I was spotting for the guys shooting the military rifles (.58 caliber minie) from 100 yards, and while I was picking up the vapor trail from the Remington's (Right Hand Twist), it just about floored me when a feller shot and his was a left hand twist "Colt Replica" ...

I did not know at the time that Colt made some of those Civil War .58's...

It was interesting watching those guys targets as the bullet's vapor trail was dropping in from different directions. For some reason I just thought that was pretty cool...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »
Riley, are you sure that you aren't a land surveyor?  Or maybe one of those engineers I used to work for?  I can't think of anyone else who would come up with the Coriolis Effect.  :laffing :toast

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
BTW, Kees....are you sure ya ain't going need some .520 balls for that new riflegun of yours.
I'll get some off to ya. I betcha going like 'em in that new .542 barrel, that along with a .022 sail cloth, or denim patch should make that rifle smile.

I may just take you up on that, Mon Oncle, but only if I pay for at least the shipping. 

I was running around town today looking for .54 accouterments and .530 or .535 balls.  Struck out - all they carried was for .50 so I'll have to go online to find some.  Or wait until I'm next in Columbus.  I want to see what the rifle likes before I invest in a new mold.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 01:17:35 PM »

I may just take you up on that, Mon Oncle, but only if I pay for at least the shipping. 

I was running around town today looking for .54 accouterments and .530 or .535 balls.  Struck out - all they carried was for .50 so I'll have to go online to find some.  Or wait until I'm next in Columbus.  I want to see what the rifle likes before I invest in a new mold.

~Kees~
That ain't the way it works, Kees
When I offered 'em up, I offered the whole deal...
The only reason I have them is because, not that many years back, I had a Ithaca in 52 caliber, however it had a .540 bore.
I have no clue how or why they get off on stamping a bbl as anything other than that what the bore really is but it has been done for years.

I'll get 'em out to ya about Monday...Got a Grandson visiting that is right at 25 yrs old now and, he feels he knows about everything there is to know about guns, suspect it's going take a good 3, maybe 4 days to see just how much he does know.
We are going to start at the range and work our back to the bench....we'll see.

Great kid! I've given him a lot of guns over his years growing up, and he has helped me a little bit in the shop back when he was growing up....but he's suddenly taken on this attitude that I think we need to discuss over this weekend....if ya get me drift.

I'll get 'em out to ya about Monday.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »
Uncle Russ, I'm indebted to you.  We'll see how those work out with a nice thick patch. 

I hope you and the boy had a good weekend and the needed "discussions" took place, amicably.  Our youngest dropped by to borrow the chainsaw today, which was nice.  But he has his own ideas of what is what and how to live, although he does seem to listen when I pontificate on life and how to live it properly.  Then he ignores it....  I guess I was that way also, back when the world was young(er)!   :laffing :laffing :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life