Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: out-of-pouch  (Read 2167 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: out-of-pouch
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 01:21:43 AM »
ridjrunr,....I can't recall ever losin' somethin' out of my shooting bags or haversack when out'n about.
But I frequently misplace things and can't find them when workin' on various projects. (if that counts :laffing) :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 03:04:05 AM »
As a longtime dyed in the wool "dangler" the ONLY thing I can ever recall loosing was the fiddle plug for my powder horn, that happened years ago when it was 'stylish' to remove the plug with your teeth, and pour your charge.
Since that time I have secured that plug to the horn with a short piece of sinew, and I have shortened the front straps on all my horns so the horn spout is always pointed up.

I love the idea of a thumb start, a smooth follow thru with the ramrod, followed by a bounce or two of the rod to insure proper seating of the PRB.....a dream of mine, for sure.

But, I just ain't found the right components to do this with, and still deliver the accuracy I insist on...and I've been looking hard for that just right combination for quite some time now.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 08:24:45 AM »
So I ask the danglers, have you ever lost stuff, whether it be  because of brush stags, loose fitting of whatever.?

I don't recall loosing anything. Really the only time I have anything dangling from my bag is when I'm shooting at the Range by myself or with others, but when I'm not,,, all the dangling stuff is in the top of the bag or tucked down a sleeve in the bag, except for one 5 ball bullet block that always hangs on my bag's strap.  Good leather and sinew is tougher and more durable then a person might think.

You know, (and this is straying from the topic) there is one event I would like to see incorporated at traditional muzzle loading shoots, and that is a timed event reloading one's ML after they have taken a shot, but their shooting bag must be set up in the manner it is always carried out on the hunt, and no modern speed loaders allowed.

Can you imagine what we all could learn from an event like this. Example; what's the first thing we do once we take a shot at a deer? We watch the deer and start the reloading process just in case a second shot is needed. I know I do, and I try my best if that deer didn't go down immediately - I watch that deer while I reload and for the most part I'm doing that from feel from knowing how my shooting/hunting bag is set up. Just food for thought...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
"out-of-pouch" is for woods walks, and it's the way i practice at the range.  the more offhand practice, the better, sez i.  offhand is where it's at, not off a bench.  bench rest is pretty much mandatory for setting sights and developing a load.  the real shooting is in just using yer hands to aim and fire, the way it was for the most part, back in the day.

whilst there is a tackle box of goodies in the vehicle or at the sign-in table, it pays to have accoutrements at the ready when yer taking 10 to 30 shots on the trail.  hence the danglies.

if i were hunting with a firelock there would be NO danglies, just a small bag with a small horn attached (or inside the bag), along with the few other major necessities.

:*:

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
I agree with ya'll and perhaps I should try some out of the bag articles, a loading block to start with.
Ohio Joe, in our rotation of monthly shoots, there are a few scenarios that are timed annd sometimes its a two man event, like two man teams. Thats usualy a ten target knockdown, great fun and one reason I like blocks, for me its quicker.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 09:38:29 PM »
A loading block is a good place to start, and that team shoot sounds like a lot of fun, ridjrunr!  :bl th up

As usual, all this talk about shooting has me chomping at the bit to get out tomorrow and do some shooting. Kind'a leaning towards shooting at one of my eight inch gong's tomorrow at 50 and 100 yards with the ol' Pennsylvania .45 cal flintlock. Another voice in my head is saying "take the .40 cal cap lock" while yet another voice is saying "take the .50 cal Lyman's GPR flintlock."

I figure I got plenty of time to get my Rendezvous Rifle zeroed really good since I don't need it until July 2018,,, but then again the smart move might be to do just that,,, or just start working on that Lyman .54 GPR kit... There goes that little voice in my head again... :Doh! :laffing

In any event, I'll do something!  :hairy

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 03:08:01 AM »
Yes, never lacking projects either!! July 2018, are you talking about the High Plains?
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 08:33:29 AM »
Yes, never lacking projects either!! July 2018, are you talking about the High Plains?

Chadron Fur Trade Days in '18, ridjrunr.

Where is High Plains being held in '18?

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 10:20:54 AM »
By corn dodger station KS,june 16-23 ,
planning on that one.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
By corn dodger station KS,june 16-23 ,
planning on that one.
I'm planning on that one too.  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
  • New BP shooter, only been doing this since 2015.
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »
We call bag shooting "off the body" here in Oz and I love it!!!  :applaud

I get a lot of funny looks from the guys at the range though as they are 99% bench shooters....

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »
Mike, how is the traditional side of muzzle loading shooting down there in Australia? Popular, semi popular? Have they tried to repackage it yet with the plastic stocks and stainless steel barrels? Just curious if the traditional folks are going strong without the influence of that "modern muzzle loading stuff" they've been trying to pawn off on us traditional muzzle loading folks here in America for over the last 30 years?  :shake

Offline Mike in Oz

• TMA Forum Member
  • New BP shooter, only been doing this since 2015.
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 12:17:40 AM »
Mike, how is the traditional side of muzzle loading shooting down there in Australia? Popular, semi popular? Have they tried to repackage it yet with the plastic stocks and stainless steel barrels? Just curious if the traditional folks are going strong without the influence of that "modern muzzle loading stuff" they've been trying to pawn off on us traditional muzzle loading folks here in America for over the last 30 years?  :shake

Hey Joe,

In-line muzzle loaders are non existent in my state (Western Australia) as the police can't classify them so therefore you can't supply a lawful reason to possess one.

So the traditional muzzle loading scene is pretty secure, the problem we have is an aging membership. As well as a muzzle loading rifle is classed as a high powered rifle so you need to license it like its a cartridge fed, bolt/leaver action rifle.

Saying that please don't get into a "Australian gun laws are stupid" debate because i'm already pretty pissy on the whole subject, as i just got a new flintlock rifle and its going to cost in excess of $200 just to licence the damn thing....  :o

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 07:42:06 AM »
Thanks for the info, Mike. We'll let it rest and get back to the topic at hand, "out of pouch"  :shake