Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Dye Problem  (Read 2232 times)

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 03:52:46 PM »
Hey Mitch Thanks
I'm giving it a try we'll see how it works out in a few days
The pants are soaking now
I also have some more cotton material to dye now been thinking about poke berries this time
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline Ridge

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
Quote from: "Mitch"
well, I guess the way I've been dyeing dang near everything(wool, linen, cotton,leather,etc) "theoretically" doesn't work according to some...and I've cold dyed EVERYTHING with walnut hulls or hickory,pecan hulls.....y'all can dye how you choose, but if you haven't tried the way I suggest, don't tell me it won't work....

I assume you are directing this toward me?

I tried your way when I first started learning about natural dyeing.  It makes a tolerable stain.

If you like it like that...God bless you.

I've done it both ways.  You get much more even, vibrant colors my way.  How do I know?  Well, after trying for a year or so your way, I began to use about 25 different plants and about 5 different mordants on different materials using the boil method.  For a couple of years I kept my "swatches" and the data on the combo's.  I found that my methods were repeatable and predictable. The color is more lightfast and withstands washings better.  You can also develop a much wider range of colors to choose from.

I never cared for the "everything from your head to your feet" in walnut.  The old timers loved color just as much as we do today.  As a matter of fact, most of their dyeing was trying to replicate colors that were popular in Europe at the time.

I've learned a thing or two about natural dyeing over the years.  Like I said, it was a hobby of mine.

Feel the love, man.  There's no need to take anything on a message board personally.  It's all about exchanging information and finding a better way to pursue your hobby.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
Ridge-my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular...and I don't wear everything walnut, I have been natural dyeing for a about 7-8 yrs,I've dyed things other folks wouldn't try, I've had good success with my methods(taught to me by some folks who've been dyeing longer than I've been alive, and I'm 47)....you want to be the dye expert and tell folks your way is best, go for it...I've got hunting to do and to much else to pursue to waste time arguing with an expert...
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 07:37:39 PM »
ok guys
 hat on ,
this isnt how we conduct things here . lets step back , relax and move on .
Jbullard1 has got some honest strait forward replies and  many different  ideas as to what he can do .  Now he can deside for himself  what he like , doesn’t like , what works for him and what doesn’t .
 We don’t need  or want to go down this road
ok , hat off , be nice .
good luck on your hunt Mitch

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 09:47:04 AM »
Well here is what I have now and this is after washing
I'm pleased with the results this time

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »
Looks good!! a few rendezvous, a few hunts and they'll have "patina"!!(fancy French word for "we don't clean our stuff"!!LOL)....

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »
Quote from: "Mitch"
Looks good!! a few rendezvous, a few hunts and they'll have "patina"!!(fancy French word for "we don't clean our stuff"!!LOL)....

Mitch
are you telling me my wife was wrong in making me wash my pants?
They had a whole different look before I washed them  :lol
I think I'll leave the other pair white and just wear them working and let them patina

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
NOW Mitch...,

If I gave you the impression that I was sayin' what you did was wrong, my sincere appologies!  I did write,

Now the salt will work a bit for some natural dyes ( and it works great on Rit Dye - a chemical dye), and the vinegar is good for wool to keep it color fast, but..., Walnut hulls work best with iron oxide.

Excuse me please for being imprecise, I should've written that salt will work a bit for some natural dyes, and walnut does well with salt, and please note I also mentioned vinegar as you did, but recommended the "best" mordant for walnut is iron oxide, but I should've be clearer and pointed out that iron oxide is the best if one is looking for "colorfastness".  Other methods will dye well, and colors will vary depending on how it's done, but if you are going to wash the item a bit you may want to use the iron oxide.  

I'm sorry.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 07:34:32 PM »
no sweat amigos...had "one of those days"....LD-the thing I don't like about using iron(nails,pots,etc)is you get a more black color, not so much to brown...if blackish brown is what you want, adding iron works great...I was also told "most" nut hull dye is a bit self-mordanting(the tannic acid "biting" the dye into the fabric)...anytime I've used iron pots or added nails,etc, I've had a "sadder" color(to borrow a term from Susan Wallace)...it's all good info and it's good to see what others are using/doing....and I use the baking soda rinse to "kill" the acids in the dye and mordant...have a great rest of the week..I'm heading home to hunt this evening(can't get any real time off), need to fill my very EMPTY freezer...Mitch

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »
I use the baking soda rinse to "kill" the acids in the dye and mordant...

Duh-oh!  :bl th up

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »
I soak wood chunks in water when I smoke on the grill.  Sometimes I don't use all of the  chunks and just leave them soaking in the water.  The water turns really dark brown.  I guess that solution could be used to dye cloth. Right?
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 11:49:21 AM »
I'm going to guess that "Wood Chucks" means something different to you. To me, A "Woodchuck" is a varmint.  :shock:
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline wwpete52

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 02:21:07 PM »
Not "wood chucks" but "wood chunks."  You know, that stuff you buy at Wal-Mart when you're going to smoke a brisket.
Member #420 Expires 3/1/13

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 02:23:07 PM »
Ahhhhhh!!!    :oops:
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline bluebottle

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Dye Problem
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 01:20:12 AM »
In doing some research I found this and it really helped...thx guys.

By the way the woodchucks give a brownish red dye to the cloth I bet lol
Having fun in the outdoors and dreaming of the past....