Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: where do you exercise your traditional muzzleloader?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Paulk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: where do you exercise your traditional muzzleloader?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 04:28:51 PM »
I'm fortunate to live on 40 acres surrounded by 1000's of acres of state land. Pretty much shoot or hunt in any direction I want from the yard. My closest neighbor is about a 1/2 mile away.

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 06:44:59 PM »
I've got it pretty good. A very nice public range 20 minutes away and several popular shooting spots in the national forests 30 to 40 minutes away. 

The public range is very nice.  $100 a year or $10 each visit. What with shooting there almost every week it works out to a couple dollars per visit.  The range has paper targets at 13, 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards, paper or steel at 200 and steel at 300 yards.  Nice benches, decent hours, and pleasant, but strict, range officers. They have a blackpowder club associated with the range, but their shoots are only on Sundays and I've got higher priorities that day. One advantage over the national forest spots is the range has shade.  The national forests here are really national deserts - you have to bring your own shade.

The NF spots are just some place with a good sized hill or mountain for a backstop and maybe 50 to 100 yards clear flat land leading up to the hill.  The closer to the city, the more popular they are and get very busy on weekends. And you never know what kind of trashy people you'll encounter. By trashy, I mean those who bring stuff like old computers, tvs and junk like that to shoot and leave it behind when they're done. I usually take more trash home than I bring - just a small attempt to clean it up.  The slightly further distance offsets the lesser cost and more target setup/cleanup time keeps me going to the range, unless I've got all my sons and friends to help with the setup/cleanup, or we want to do some shooting that wouldn't be allowed on the range.  Nothing to exciting mind you, just an old contest my brothers and I did with 22s when we were very young - throw an empty 50 count 22 ammo box on the ground and then shoot at it and make it jump until it went some agreed upon distance.  I usually won - I never did tell them the trick was to shoot under the box, not into it.
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
Ah several places.
I have a range here at the house enough for me to get 75-100 yard shot. I belong to the Elberton Gun Club in Elberton GA it's about a 40 mile one way trip. The range is most excellent. There is even a small shack on the covered platform with A/C. This is so you can take a break if you start to get fuzzy from the heat. The club house is also accessible with a code.

At times a few of us will meet at the Harris Homestead in Monroe GA. A friend does living history,boards his horse and sheep to do shows.

I have found here in GA gun clubs are far and few between. In New Yorkisstan I could drive 25 miles and hit a dozen clubs.

So if anyone of you is in my hood and want to shoot let me know.

bpb

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 10:51:42 PM »
The Athens Fish & Game Club 50 yard range.  The 25 is over the berm on the right, the 100 to the left.  Those berms make it so I can walk out 25 yards from the target on the 100 yard range and not worry about what is going on on the other two (if need be).  There is also a 300 yard range but that shoots down the power line way off to the left RIGHT....

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:00:22 PM by Winter Hawk »
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
OKC gun club is 20 minutes away. There is a muzzleloader  range, a large SAS complex range, Hi-power range, silhouette  ranges, bench rest range, rim fire range, plinking range, pistol range, airgun range, two shotgun ranges and an archery range. We take our shooting sports seriously in Oklahoma .   :bl th up :bl th up
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 03:33:44 PM »
On my property 50 yards from my homesite! Goes back to 1500 yards! :yessir:

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 04:49:43 PM »
Northwest Nebraska Shooter's Assoc. (1st three pictures) We can go out to 300 yards

Chadron Fur Trade Days (Annual Fur Trade Days Rendezvous) And Spring Shoot

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 09:40:01 PM »
Most of my shooting is done at my son's blacksmith shop located on my Ex's farm (or what's left of it). It's not much of a range, and 50 yds is maximum distance we can shoot. His palce is about a half hour from me.There's also an Issac Walton but I have not joined so can only shoot by invitation. That's also over a half hour from me.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with only 50 yards. I would expect most of us here shoot more 50 yard and under targets. Heck, 50 yards - that's a 100 yard round trip... I guess I get more exercise then what I thought... :Doh!  :laffing  :shake

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 03:41:46 AM »
Nothing wrong with only 50 yards. I would expect most of us here shoot more 50 yard and under targets. Heck, 50 yards - that's a 100 yard round trip... I guess I get more exercise then what I thought... :Doh!  :laffing  :shake

Glad ya put that in perspective!
No wonder I'm so worn out after just a few hours on the range.... :lol sign

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 09:11:48 AM »

Glad ya put that in perspective!
No wonder I'm so worn out after just a few hours on the range.... :lol sign

:lol sign

Hmmm??? Now I'm a thinking - "Rest Area's established every 50 yards" on the Range before heading back to the firing line may not be a bad idea ('cept I'd forget to take my bottle of water with me  :Doh!  and I'd have to walk all the way back to the parking lot just to get it out of my pickup - then come back and use those rest areas)... Well, it's not a full proof idea, but it might catch on... :o :laffing :pray:

Offline JB67

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #833
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 11:11:05 PM »
I guess I'm fortunate to live in rural Ulster Co., New York, where there are many gun/fishing/hunting/muzzle loading clubs.  There are at least 5 within 15 miles of my home, but I belong to Marbletown Sportsmen's Club in Stone Ridge, and have for 35 yr.  We no longer have a ML presence or even much interest in it, but nothing prevents me from using a ML on the 25-, 50- or 100 yd. ranges (barring the problem of target mounting "hardware") that I mentioned in another post.  The range doesn't get much use during the week, but is especially busy prior to deer season for which it closes.

:wave Hello from Dutchess County. I belong to High Woods in Woodstock. It's a quiet place. Sunday June 2 will be my first time in a BP event there.
All men have fears. The brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death but always to victory.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2019, 12:04:48 AM »
Hello JB67  :bl th up

Have a great day at the BP event!  :bl th up

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
For about five months out of the year....right here IN THE SHADE!!

I'm the Lonely Maytag Repair Man of the blackpowder world here!

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
For about five months out of the year....right here IN THE SHADE!!

I'm the Lonely Maytag Repair Man of the blackpowder world here!