Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Views on the 40 caliber  (Read 3968 times)

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »
Hey Mark you drive a porshe or really really big truck?? he he he. Just joshin widja bro. ;)

OH!! And before someone decides to jump my case (again) for bringing up centerfires?? Read several post by several different people  above me. I aint start it. I'm just using it as examples and relations just as everyone else has done.

As far as views on the 40? in my limited experience if you can only own one rifle?? it's the rifle you need here in the south. I looked througha photo album of the gunmaker that built hers adventures with it. deer, bear, turkey, feral hogs,squirrels, groundhogs, coons, you name it he's killed it with that gun.

BUT! If you can own more than one?? I would say go a couple below and a couple above. In the old days I sure nuff bet she was the bees knees. But in my day?? The way I like squirrel and dumplins?? man she's just too rough on squirrel meat, perfect for poppin rabbit heads off though! Bark em?? aint gots no leave son the trees this time of year. 90% of our squirrels are runnin round on the ground diggin acorns outa leaf litter.

I iron sited a crow with mine two days before thanksgiving at 135 steps. I'll never part with mine. And even though she may not be the first rifle I reach for to go deer hunting?? She's definately my absolute favorite to shoot and hunt with.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
Irondawg, I drive a F250 diesel like it was a porche!! :-) Seriously, we must be kinfolk. I've been a martial arts instructor for about 30 years now and I too know how strong them big ole college boys can be. At my age, finesse is a much better option than brawn!! :-) Man, I do see the merits of smaller calibers and I too understand shot placement. Dude, I am a traditional archery nut myself with more traditional kills than I will be willing to post on here with longbow and recurve. Let's just say it is many many dozens. However, I am pretty new to these flinters. I just get tired of hearing about my "magnumitis" or how terrible a hunter must be if he has to have a big bore gun. I ain't "GOTTA" have anything bigger than a .22 long rifle or a stickbow but a big ole .62 round ball sure flattens a critter in such a way as to make my heart glad!!! My shot of choice is the high shoulder shot and I want both shoulders broke and whatever damage to the spine done that can be done. Sure I could get closer and place my shot differently. Heck, I could probably kill um with a crochet(crow-kay) mallet if I was patient enough.  Truth is I enjoy the noise and smoke and even the stout recoil that makes me feel like I really just touched off something!! Then I get to load um up and drive my F250 Porche like a demon back home to skin!!! :-)

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »
HA HA HA!!! Man I tell ya what. I was sending them roundballs out across that hey field last week with my 54 and the boom and echo of it was just...just.well dadgummit it was just plain ol beautiful!!

I tell ya though me 40 flinter has one of them barrels that you can singe fur with at 20yds (it's LONG!) and she sure made pretty music as well.

I gotta buddy that shoots a 97# bow, and when I ask him why cuz his deer aint no deader than mine he says "cuz I can" LOL!

You should get you a 40 and consider it, buffler bore on groundhogs and have some summer fun.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
yep 3 shots all in the pickle barrel and he still went 200 yards  and  was  flat faced 2 times .
 mater of fact he want a big bull eather .  just a rag horn 4 on one side and 5 on the other .
 i learned along time ago that when it comes to elk . them boys  can take alot of lead and  and still leave you wondering  if you hit them at all . i have also seen them drop  right in their tracks  with  rifle smaller then  the one i used above .

personally i dont  nor do i think anyone else cares  what or how much  you use .
 if you want a wall gun , ha 2 thumbs up to ya . thats just the way of it now days  and if thats how your stick floats  so be it .

as to being tired ?? ya i think i can relate  .
 In fact it’s the very reason this organization was founded .
A group of us were just flat tiered of hearing how one  had to have  a given rifle with  a  500 + grain conical  and 2 lbs of powder .
 How our old rifles  shooting RB were not capable of killing cleanly or ethically .

Maybe , just maybe  there is something  to learn ??? I don’t know .

Good luck to you though .

Now back to the 40 cal question . As I stated  a few posts back before we got all sidetracked on  bigger is better .
 The 40 will do  just fine  within its given limitations . Be it with a RB or  bumped up with large conical.
 As Dave showed  and I tried to show . . When your velocities and   projectile weights  enter into the realm of  center fire  calibers  that are more then acceptable of  the animal your  interested in . there is simply no reason  that you should not exspect to see like returns from a muzzleloader . none ,,, none at all

Offline Lastmohecken

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »
Wow! this thread sure has gotten hot, today.

I think I just may have to give a 40 a chance one of these days. I have always used 54's for muzzleloading, when it came to deer, but I did get to take a few squirrels with a .62 Fowler, using shot, and that was a hoot.

Normally, I am a big caliber fan, within reason, but I find the idea of the 40 interesting, espacally for Arkansas, since it's legal for both deer and small game, but this may be more academic then anything else. But one advantage to me that does seem very real is the opportunity to get very proficent with one gun, to the point that, it's second nature to place a very accurate shot, under any resonable condition.

The other thought is unlike the .62 fowler, which I must load with shot for squirrel to be legal, and would pretty much void my chances to take the occasional coyote, while squirrel hunting, the right load in a 40 could take both. So, I find this very attractive for eairly season squirrel hunting.
TMA # 496  8/16/09

Offline Daehenoc

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 10:30:36 PM »
I want a double flinter with one smooth barrel.
Wish in one hand...

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »
lastmoheken,

I'm tellin ya my knowledge and experience with side locks is pretty limited. But I absolutely positively ADORE my 40 flinter. It has to be the absolute funnest rifle I've ever shot. Not to mention is is as stated above a tack driving flat shooting good killing gun.

And I realize another reason it was so well liked in earlier times. In all honesty ONE PRB and ONE powder charge for my 54 is pretty much equal to TWO PRBS and TWO powder charges in my 40. Powder goes alot lot farther!!

Cap,

I sure hope you didn't take offense or misread something I wrote.  You are the absolute last person I would want to offend or tick off at me on this or any other site.

BTW enlighten a newbie here. I've heard the expression before. But what is a "wall gun"??

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 02:03:28 AM »
Quote from: "IronDawg"
BTW enlighten a newbie here. I've heard the expression before. But what is a "wall gun"??

There's a long thread on them: http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.org/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2312
Member #424

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 06:55:01 AM »
Cap,

I sure hope you didn't take offense or misread something I wrote. You are the absolute last person I would want to offend or tick off at me on this or any other site.

no worries Irondawg . there is no issue .
 you will find that we  sometimes disagree around here on a few things.
 , no worries .
 blue lake covered the wall gun well i think

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »
Cap and others, I was in an especially mischievous mood yesterday myself. I as well did not mean any harm or any offense. I like this place and value the experience and information that can be gotten here. Sometimes I enjoy a little friendly banter about things we disagree on. Actually I think we learn more through such discussion than we do just agreeing and slapping eachother on the back all the time. Everybody's personality is different and often reflected in their gun and caliber choices. A good analogy is fishing. I don't love fly fishing for trout like i ought to; the little bitty leader and tying little bitty nymphs and midges on is a degree of finesse that i have no patience for. Now put on a big ole popping bug and let me flail the water for a big ole largemouth bass and I am happy again. Go figure? With deer, I do not believe there is much of such a thing as overkill. A hole the size of your fist is still not much meat wasted, none if it is through the rib cage. I have never seen an extra long track or lost deer cause the gun was too big. I have however seen some really bad scenarios with little bitty bullets that either blew up or did not come out. If I find out I can use a .40 here in MS for squirrels then I might well round me up one as I am wanting a squirrel rifle anyway. I do hear that the .40 is one of the most incredibly accurate target calibers one can own. Anyway, interesting thread and maybe I will behave better today! :-)

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
If I find out I can use a .40 here in MS for squirrels then I might well round me up one as I am wanting a squirrel rifle anyway.  Anyway, interesting thread and maybe I will behave better today! :-)

You better!!  :lol:  

But ya know what Mark?

a 40 for you and squirrels would be a match made in heaven bro. Cuz my results show my 40 to be overkill for squirrels. he he he

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »
I stalk/snipe prairie dogs most of the summer with my .40 and also spend a lot of time shooting them from distance(100+yds)...if you get the chance, try stalking a p-dog!! I do this "exercise" so I get used to carrying the gun, I can test and retest all variables...and most important-I figure if I can take a p-dogs head off at 125yds with my .40, I can ethically head shoot deer...
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
You guys are mankin' me wish Ed Rayl would hurry up with the .40 I ordered!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »
Irondawg, LOL!! I been in time out before and it wasn't really all that bad! :-) I figure a really light load of 30 grains or so of 2F in my .62 would make a fine squirrel load. I suppose if it tears a front leg off or something I will just have to shoot another one to round out the stew. :-)
   Mitch, do you ever miss a prairie dog head at 100+? Ever shoot a little high or a couple of inches right or left or maybe low in the body instead of in the head? On a p-dog those little misses are no big deal. On deer those misses, those little errors at 100+ yards translate into a shot off jaw or an open gash across the top of the nose or worse. I've shot plenty of prairie dogs with a 20 power leupold on a good .22-250 and I must say I missed pretty regularly. Congratulations, you must be quite a shot with that .40 of yours.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »
mark-Didn't say I never miss.....and I won't take a long shot "just to brag"-I pass up shots if I don't feel it's an "honest" shot....and I always ask for a clean kill or a clean miss..so far, it's worked for me.....and yep, I'm a good shot with my .40
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08