Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Does your lube effect accuracy?  (Read 2875 times)

Offline doulos

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »
I have seen a definite distinction in 2 of my rifles for certain lubes. Both my  .58 colerain and .54 pedersoli seem to prefer lighter lubes like moose snot, spit, or very diluted ballistol over heavy lubes like mink oil.  The difference in accuracy wont matter if hunting but there is a difference.  My Green Mountain drop in .58 doesnt seem to have a preference or at least I havent noticed it.

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »
Sorry to pester but.... what lube is it that comes on pre-lubed ox-yoke patches that I ordered from Track of the Wolf. These are all I have used since I started except for some spit patches. I know what is in the spit; I have no clue what is on these yellow looking ready-made pre-lubed patches. My accuracy is great but I do want to know what the stuff is? Any idea? :-)

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 02:35:39 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
Sorry to pester but.... what lube is it that comes on pre-lubed ox-yoke patches that I ordered from Track of the Wolf. These are all I have used since I started except for some spit patches. I know what is in the spit; I have no clue what is on these yellow looking ready-made pre-lubed patches. My accuracy is great but I do want to know what the stuff is? Any idea? :-)

The yella prelubed ones are wonderlube if I aint mistaking mark. I dunno what they use on the pre OILED patches. But I tried em. and I dunno. I'm havin trouble finding a place to put a sticky lubed patch. so I usually just wait and lube what ever right before I load. Thats why I was intrested in some of the thicker harder  or dryer lubes.

Billy gave me some teflon coated pillow ticking he said doesn't have to be lubed. But I only got a lil bit of it and he aint got anymore. I don't wanna get accustomed to something I can't replicate,.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 03:29:24 PM »
Irondawg, Thanks! I am glad to hear it is wonderlube. At least it is not the dreaded bore butter that I hear so much negative about! :-) I keep one quick load in a plastic quickloader with powder in one end separated by a partition from ball and patch and cushion wad in the other end. I carry all other spare patches(lubed) in a little cellophane plastic wrap tucked into a leather pouch on my big ole mountain-man belt. It is compact and no mess.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 03:54:35 PM »
Sorry to break the news to you, guys, BUT, Ox Yoke Wonder Lube and T/C Bore Butter come out of the same vat.
Howsomever, that was in the days of the original Ox Yoke, when they were doing the patches and lubes for T/C.
Since they went out of business, RMC bought them and subsequently sold, all bets are off.  I haven't a clue as to who is private labeling t/C stuff now. But if I were to guess, nothing has changed.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline jim m

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
captchee, the man you shoot with and my hunting/shooting buddy must be twin brothers. he has egg cartons full of balls, all weighed and sorted within + or - 1 onehundredth of a grain. he is 70 yrs old and I can't even come close to keeping up with him when it comes to punching holes in paper
any day in the woods with a flintlock is a great day

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 10:47:07 PM »
annnnd ballistol fits in where?? as just a cleaner? or can it be a lube? Doe sit get hard or dry?
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 12:40:56 AM »
Ballistol is a mineral oil compound developed for the German Army before WWI as a bore cleaner/lubricant.  I like it because it smells like licorice.  It's a pretty good bore cleaner and  lube.  Mix it with water and it turns cream colored and soapy.  I've carried a small bottle of it in my gear for years.  I tried it as patch lube once, and wasn't particularly impressed.   It neither dries nor hardens.  It's mostly mineral oil.

The more things I try as patch lubes, the better I like lard.

Three Hawks.
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »
I've been using Balistol for about a year now with the demise of LV. It's not quite as good at cleaning but not bad. I only target shoot so I don't leave it in the barrel for long periods. I've also usedd Hoppes #9 with about the same results.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 02:12:20 PM »
OK, Thanks to Bigsmoke we now know that ox yoke and bore butter may be the same thing. The pre lubed yellow patches are all I have used. Tell me what the ill effects of these are? I am too new to know. I do know that accuracy is great with them in my experience. What should I be looking for as bad stuff??

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 03:50:57 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
OK, Thanks to Bigsmoke we now know that ox yoke and bore butter may be the same thing. The pre lubed yellow patches are all I have used. Tell me what the ill effects of these are? I am too new to know. I do know that accuracy is great with them in my experience. What should I be looking for as bad stuff??

As near as I can tell, people don't like the yaller mint flavored bore grease by whatever name it's packaged under because it isn't: Moose Milk, olive oil, crisco, bear grease, goose grease, Ed's Red, Spit, or any one of fifty or sixty patent bore nostrums.

I used it for years, until I ran out and started using lard.  I started using lard because I had half a pound in my chuck box when I emptied my little tub of Wonderlube 1000.  That's when I discovered that lard works just as well.  FOR ME, in my two rifles.

It comes down to individual guns, some like one thing, others like something else.  Then there's the odd gun that seems to like everything and the one that doesn't like anything.  

This is one of the things that makes shooting frontstuffers fun, messing around until you find that magic combination that works in your gun.  Sometimes you'll hit it on the first or second try, other times it takes years.  Luck of the draw.

A story.

About ten years or so ago I was at a Spring Rrendezvous where I shot a course of fire of 75 shots over two days with my T-C .50 Hawken Rifle.  I used cotton patches hand lubed with 1000 Wonder Lube (Bore Butter) over a load of 50 grains of Goex 3F fired with CCI caps.  For the entire course of 75 shots I had no need of wiping as fouling was minimal and all loads went down smoothly.   When I got home I found that my daughter was in the hospital being treated for injuries inflicted by her "boyfriend".  My rifle went into the rack uncleaned where it remained for five months, well into winter.   My son and I along with several of his friends by this time had encouraged my daughter's "boyfriend" to emigrate to somewhere far away on the solemn promise of getting the living sh*t  kicked out of him each and every time any of the seven or eight of us saw him.  

Over time my daughter's injuries  healed.  I decided to go to a rifle shoot late that fall and that's when I remembered I hadn't cleaned my rifle for eight months.   With great trepidation, I ran a clean flannel patch on a jag down the bore.  No rust,  no damage, just some dirt.  I then cleaned the bore with patches wet with warm water only until I got two clean patches, then I dried the bore with dry flannel patches followed by coating it with 1000 WL on a clean patch.   That has been my cleaning regimen since.  The bore of my rifle remains as good as it was when new, better actually as I deburred the rifling, getting rid of a "hard spot" about ten inches down from the muzzle some years back, but that's another story.

Was the WL 1000 the reason there was no damage to my rifle over those five or so months?  I dunno for certain.  The fact is the only thing in that bore was black powder fouling and 1000 Wonder Lube.  Draw what conclusions you will.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »
Cap's advice is the real deal on accuracy.A long time ago I got tired of trying every magic potion that came along most of them greasy foul smelling and costly  I started using spit.It works is cheap and readily available. The cloth even washed a couple of times doesn't taste great  there ought to be a way to inject chocolate flavor into the fabric.The major problems with accuracy for me is eyesight and the ability to hold steady on the the target,I squeeze as it goes by.

Offline flintlock62

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »
I hate to even say this, since it is not made any more, but the best lube I have ever found is Falkenberry Juice.  Other than that, I have used Crisco with some good effects, Wonder Lube works pretty good, and Mink oil mixed with beeswax.  The Mink oil/beeswax I have found is best for cold weather.

Has anyone ever tried teflon impragnated patches?  I have only shot them a couple of times, but seems promising.
Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.  - George Washington

Polititions and diapers need be changed often, and for the same reason.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 05:58:12 PM »
Quote from: "flintlock62"
I hate to even say this, since it is not made any more, but the best lube I have ever found is Falkenberry Juice.  

Hmm, I got a bottle round here some place....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 06:37:35 PM »
spit doesn't work when it's below freezing...especially when it's say -10(personal experience!!).....and what the heck do "teflon" and "teflon patches" have to do with TRADITIONAL muzzlelaoding anyway?
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08