Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Does your lube effect accuracy?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2009, 11:57:42 AM »
for me-I like a lube that doesn't freeze...I usually make my own from animal fats because it's free or almost free or really cheap....I think most folks "overlube" the patch, so "too runny" isn't an issue for me.
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
(No subject)
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »
What I look for in a lube is a combination of best accuracy, least fouling and easiest clean up. I know I said I look at cleaning as a labor of love, but I ain't into self-torture. :lol:  Just recently I was shooting my .54 virginia and I was lubing with spit as I usually do. My accuracy was off so I picked up a patch and found that I was cutting a hole in one corner of the patch, creating blow-by. I changed to my hunting lube of beeswax, deer tallow, and olive oil (extra virgin, but don't tell SWMBO I used her good stuff) and the patches were just fine. I'm using home cast .525 with pillow tick patching about .018 thickness. I do have some .530 balls and the next thing is to try the bigger balls with the spit and see what happens.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.