Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Testing round ball obturation theory. An invitation.  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Re: Testing round ball obturation theory. An invitation.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
Quote from: "Two Steps"
What about water?  Large stock tank...swimming pool...my front yard after a rain :cry:
Al

Al,
I appreciate the idea but water is less "soft" than you might think.  It doesn't compress at all which would cause the ball to deform.

Thanks,
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
I"d like to add at this time , for those who may just starting their  journey into the addiction of muzzleloading  and the history that surround these weapons , that wether or not a soft lead spehre  obtuates  is not relative to enjoying this hobby . Its just another fascet of the hobby that some wish to pursue .
          So just ignore the discussions such as this subject and enjoy the hobby for what it is . If at some point in your journey a question you would like answered arises , please ask , and there will be folks that will have the answers on this site . We all started not knowing many things and had to learn as we progressed .  Your questions will be treated with respect , and answered in a cival manner.

Gordon,
What you say is very true.  All of the shooting sports have many facets and traditional muzzleloading has more than many of the others.  Some are deeply into the history with some going far enough to want to re-create it in detail.  Some love creating functional works of art be it a gun, powder horn, pouch, or whatever.  Some just want to go shoot.  It was the technical side of shooting and ballistics that led me to become a gunsmith in the first place.  I can't get my hands on a gun without wanting to learn how to wring every bit of accuracy possible out of it.  Not only that, I want to understand why it is accurate (or inaccurate).

Having said all that, let me add that if you feel I'm heading off into an area that doesn't fit the intent of the forum please tell me so.  I'm on the forum because, for the first time in many years, I have the time to experiment.  Just thought I'd see what others have found to be true.

Thanks,
John
Member #632

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Stormrider51 , I see no reason that such as internal/external/terminal ballistis can"t be part of the site . I guess I"m quite close to your curioussitys and enjoy such discussions . I only wanted to point out , that as a newbie in the sport that to enjoy the sport , The more tech. aspects are as you said, aanother facet . Unless the BOD has reason to discourage this type of post , Lets get the experiments going .
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
There's no reason not to allow this type of post, as long as it's done with traditional ML's and projectiles. Please, continue, and lets see the results.  :rt th
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »
Just a passing thought , but is it possible to make a test set-up using a hydraulic press to determine at what preasure (psi) the soft lead .490 RB starts to obtuate ?  L.D. brought up some points to explore in the testing , and certainly has considerble knowledge of ballistics Etc . As with most points in muzzleloading there are many varibles that might cause a change in the amount of preasure needed to obturate the projectile , and the amount it might increase . I think at this point were jjust trying to establish that it happens .
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.  I spent some time today casting .600 balls for the new-to-me Fusil Fin that I now know was shipped via Priority Mail from Alaska today.  I'm guessing I'll have it along about Wednesday of next week.  Smoothies are a new thing for me.  I grew up with muzzleloading rifles.  To be specific, Pennsylvania longrifles.  (To this day I consider Hawkins and other "plains rifles" to be stubby and unattractive.)  I just never considered the utility of a smoothbore and, like many, I assumed that they were inherently inaccurate.  Now I'm looking forward to seeing what a smoothbore will really do with a PRB.

I did take the time to clamp the barrel section in a vise and experiment with thinner patches.  The results were interesting.  This patch/ball combo started easily with the short starter and could be pushed through the bore with light pressure on the ramrod/jag.  I did exactly the same sequence as previously but the results were very different.  The measured diameter of the balls before testing ran between .489 and .490.  None of the balls measurably increased in diameter at any stage in the experiment.  I even went back and repeated the test where I smacked the ramrod from the rear but used a stronger blow.  This time the ball actually popped out of the barrel and I had to go borrow a pillow from the bedroom to act as a catchers mit.  The result was that the balls did not show more than a light imprint from the patch and no measurable increase in diameter.  It would seem that an increase in diameter does depend on the initial inertia and friction.  Of course, I didn't actually set off a charge of black powder.  Still working on how to accomplish that.  The ideal would be a high-speed camera that could take a photo of the ball shortly after it sheds its patch.  I don't have that kind of money.

Next is to try a really tight patch.

John
Member #632

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
Well, I'm done with what will be the last of the testing for now.  A good suggestion was made to try ballistic gelatin made in a weaker mix as a recovery medium to avoid ball deformation.  I talked to a guy who does ballistic forensics for a living and he pointed out that less gelatin means more water and water is just as likely to cause bullet deformation.  Looks like a dead end unless I can get Riley to come catch a ball as it comes down.   :lol:

Today I took some thicker patching and repeated my earlier tests.  This time the balls were just plain hard to start into the muzzle and required serious effort to push down the bore.  Even when pushed straight through, there were definite impressions left in the ball from the rifling.  A .490" ball measured a hair UNDER .490" at the points where the lands left their marks.  This would seem to indicate that the thicker patch compressed the lead.  As best I could measure the diameter in the grooves increased slightly, which makes sense.  In both cases, land and groove, the difference was visible on the micrometer caliper but not enough to give a definite amount.  My much more accurate digital micrometers are too thick in the stem to be used.

The push it in and push it out test gave similar results except that I was able to measure an average increase in groove diameter of .002".  The land diameter remained just under the original .490".

When I did the "whack it will a mallet" test things got interesting.  I ran the PRB down, smacked the rod firmly with the mallet, and then pushed the ball back out.  It took a LOT of effort to push it back out.  This time the patch had clear cuts  from the rifling in it all the way around.  Groove diameter had increased .004" over its original size while land diameter remained a hair under original diameter.

Well, it's Mother's Day and I have just been informed that my presence is required elsewhere.  I'll come back later today and tomorrow to do a summary.

Take care,
John
Member #632

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 11:42:31 PM »
For what its worth , some years ago Ed Yard performed a series of tests to record BP preasures with different powde loads and components ,patch lube , patch material and projectile weight s and dia . The barrels were made and furnished by GM . There was also a series of tests performed by Sam Fadala to demonstrate how short started projectile cause barrel bulgeing and rupturing , I believe he used copper tubing it made the failure points quite visable. These tests also indicated round ball obturation all though that wasn>t the prime purpose of the tests . Also Bill knight wrote of maany tests of BP and the effects from heat , cold moisture etc. I believe I have the test results amoungest my not so carefully organized files if you don"t have access to them . I"m also quite certain that Ductch Schultz mentions obtuation in his accuracy papers . looking forward to further testing . :toast
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
Good morning fellas

Stormrider51 , welcome to the TMA . I think you will find that things are much different here then in other places . While you may find disagreements , those disagreements WILL be done in an adult manor and with respect . We simply do not allow  what so many other places allow .

As to your  subject .
  I would also agree with Dave’s points  but  in this case and most times for these type of discussions , its understood that obturation of RB is the expansion or deformation caused by ignition  
There has for a very long time been this division of opinion  as to if a RB actually  obturate’s   or not ..
 On one side you have those who feel that  a ball starts moving before pressure builds to the point  that it can expand the ball
 Then on the other you have those  that believe the resistance of the ball  itself  is the key to the expansion. .

As to the first .  This is  I believe based on the theory that the ball is part if the  total load , there for it isn’t hit by pressure but accelerated by the pressure . As such they poo poo the  tests that fedela and others did concern  short starting barrels .  Which as mention documented  obturation happening .
 However we should understand that in those tests , the reason for that obturation was indeed the effect of a pressure wave  hitting the ball . Not  the result of the ball traveling on  the leading edge of  that pressure wave .
 Thus IMO , their  reason  is understandable ,  but for the fact that it doesn’t take into account resistance of the projectile ,   nor does it account for the  resistance of  the opposing air pressure  while the ball travels on that pressure wave .

The problem in disproving or proving the theory is that  regardless of what you shoot into  the projectile is going to  encounter resistance . That resistance  is going to expand the ball and thus  yield  inaccurate results  . Especially concerning ballistics jell . Even water is going to  provide a given amount of resistance . As such your most likely still going to see a .002+ expansion.

Many years ago  I read an article where a fella  was trying to prove the theory by  placing a  paper target   in front of the muzzle , just out of the muzzle blast area . . He then measured the  resulting hole.
  Supposedly this  showed that indeed the ball had expanded.
 Problem was , folks suspected that the patch had not yet  separated . Thus creating the larger hole . So he again tested his theory at a longer distance .  The results still showed a larger  projectile then was loaded  . But could this have been a natural result  from  air resistance or was it a result of his loading ????/

Your results as of yet , are showing  deformation by loading , not really obturation cased by the ignition process .
 Myself I don’t see how you  will be able to physically , accurately  prove the theory  without having a long enough  barrel to contain the projectile to its outer limit of its movement .As such I think we must resort to math and physics to prove obturation.
Remington as I recall actually did this back  in the 40’s . not on only did they  do it mathematically but also physically.

If we accept that lead is a physical plastic and get over the  idea that a projectile is a solid , just because  it feels hard .  We then can understand that there is a given point where all materials , when subject to pressure , begin to act like liquids, even though they may remain somewhat solid  . If we understand that ,then  we can understand that when the pressure exerted  against  it   reaches the plastic deformation “ all materials have this point , “the ball then will expand.

Remember in school they taught us that for every reaction , there is an equal and opposite reaction . With plastic  deformation  , while its given that plastic deformation irreversible an object in the plastic deformation range will first have undergone elastic deformation, which is reversible, so the object will return part way to its original shape. IE, equal and opposite reaction
think of  a rubber ball .  But with lead   the  plastic  deformation   is greater then its  Elastic deformation is less  . But  that has not change the fact that it  has or will expand even greater . Physics say its has to .

Again Remington proved this long ago . Even today with cased bullets , slow motion  x-ray photos show the bullets expanding within the bore .    Those same photos show an even greater increase in the center of the body   when viewed after leaving the bore  and at the targets.
 This is caused by  the resistance of  the bullet traveling through air . IE weight encountering drag at velocity and thus the effects of  the projectiles plastic deformation value  ..
IE the forces on the front of the projectile are  causing  that section of the projectile to encounter drag  . while the  back section of the projectile isn’t encountering the same amount of drag  . as such the back is trying to push past and through the front , thus causing the  projectile to expand in the center  . This effect increases  when the  front comes in contact with even more resistance . IE a target .
  A good example of this is a big lead  conical   after mushrooming from hitting a target . Often times  you can still clearly see the base . But the  forward section is  enlarged .  This enlargement isn’t  the  front being forced  out . it’s the center   of the projectile expanding out and around  the  front of the projectile which contacted the resistant first .. As the total mass slows to a stop , it leaves the back end of the projectile setting center of the mass . Again Physics

So once we understand the dynamics of whats going on . We then have to accept the fact that a RB  upon ignition  has to expand within the bore  even if from nothing else  then the effects of  acceleration  on it physical properties . The faster that acceleration , the greater the expansion .

Anyways , sorry to be so long winded . Its  a very interesting  subject  that has been proven time and time again . Both in  actual application and  scientifically .
Of course there will always be those who don’t believe it . Thus we will always have the fun of proving it  over and over again .

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »
Quote from: "Gordon H.Kemp"
For what its worth , some years ago Ed Yard performed a series of tests to record BP preasures with different powde loads and components ,patch lube , patch material and projectile weight s and dia . The barrels were made and furnished by GM . There was also a series of tests performed by Sam Fadala to demonstrate how short started projectile cause barrel bulgeing and rupturing , I believe he used copper tubing it made the failure points quite visable. These tests also indicated round ball obturation all though that wasn>t the prime purpose of the tests . Also Bill knight wrote of maany tests of BP and the effects from heat , cold moisture etc. I believe I have the test results amoungest my not so carefully organized files if you don"t have access to them . I"m also quite certain that Ductch Schultz mentions obtuation in his accuracy papers . looking forward to further testing . :toast

Gordon,
I would appreciate seeing your notes if it's not too much trouble or if you could point me toward a website where they are published.  I have Dutch's papers somewhere in my also not too carefully organized files.  I seem to remember that he mentioned obturation in relation to inertia and resistance.  I'm done for now with my tests, inadequate as they were.  I'll be writing a synopsis in a little while.  Hopefully, some newcomer to the sport may find them interesting.

Thanks,
John
Member #632

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
Good morning fellas

Stormrider51 , welcome to the TMA . I think you will find that things are much different here then in other places . While you may find disagreements , those disagreements WILL be done in an adult manor and with respect . We simply do not allow  what so many other places allow .

As to your  subject .
  I would also agree with Dave’s points  but  in this case and most times for these type of discussions , its understood that obturation of RB is the expansion or deformation caused by ignition  
There has for a very long time been this division of opinion  as to if a RB actually  obturate’s   or not ..
 On one side you have those who feel that  a ball starts moving before pressure builds to the point  that it can expand the ball
 Then on the other you have those  that believe the resistance of the ball  itself  is the key to the expansion. .

As to the first .  This is  I believe based on the theory that the ball is part if the  total load , there for it isn’t hit by pressure but accelerated by the pressure . As such they poo poo the  tests that fedela and others did concern  short starting barrels .  Which as mention documented  obturation happening .
 However we should understand that in those tests , the reason for that obturation was indeed the effect of a pressure wave  hitting the ball . Not  the result of the ball traveling on  the leading edge of  that pressure wave .
 Thus IMO , their  reason  is understandable ,  but for the fact that it doesn’t take into account resistance of the projectile ,   nor does it account for the  resistance of  the opposing air pressure  while the ball travels on that pressure wave .

The problem in disproving or proving the theory is that  regardless of what you shoot into  the projectile is going to  encounter resistance . That resistance  is going to expand the ball and thus  yield  inaccurate results  . Especially concerning ballistics jell . Even water is going to  provide a given amount of resistance . As such your most likely still going to see a .002+ expansion.

Many years ago  I read an article where a fella  was trying to prove the theory by  placing a  paper target   in front of the muzzle , just out of the muzzle blast area . . He then measured the  resulting hole.
  Supposedly this  showed that indeed the ball had expanded.
 Problem was , folks suspected that the patch had not yet  separated . Thus creating the larger hole . So he again tested his theory at a longer distance .  The results still showed a larger  projectile then was loaded  . But could this have been a natural result  from  air resistance or was it a result of his loading ????/

Your results as of yet , are showing  deformation by loading , not really obturation cased by the ignition process .
 Myself I don’t see how you  will be able to physically , accurately  prove the theory  without having a long enough  barrel to contain the projectile to its outer limit of its movement .As such I think we must resort to math and physics to prove obturation.
Remington as I recall actually did this back  in the 40’s . not on only did they  do it mathematically but also physically.

If we accept that lead is a physical plastic and get over the  idea that a projectile is a solid , just because  it feels hard .  We then can understand that there is a given point where all materials , when subject to pressure , begin to act like liquids, even though they may remain somewhat solid  . If we understand that ,then  we can understand that when the pressure exerted  against  it   reaches the plastic deformation “ all materials have this point , “the ball then will expand.

Remember in school they taught us that for every reaction , there is an equal and opposite reaction . With plastic  deformation  , while its given that plastic deformation irreversible an object in the plastic deformation range will first have undergone elastic deformation, which is reversible, so the object will return part way to its original shape. IE, equal and opposite reaction
think of  a rubber ball .  But with lead   the  plastic  deformation   is greater then its  Elastic deformation is less  . But  that has not change the fact that it  has or will expand even greater . Physics say its has to .

Again Remington proved this long ago . Even today with cased bullets , slow motion  x-ray photos show the bullets expanding within the bore .    Those same photos show an even greater increase in the center of the body   when viewed after leaving the bore  and at the targets.
 This is caused by  the resistance of  the bullet traveling through air . IE weight encountering drag at velocity and thus the effects of  the projectiles plastic deformation value  ..
IE the forces on the front of the projectile are  causing  that section of the projectile to encounter drag  . while the  back section of the projectile isn’t encountering the same amount of drag  . as such the back is trying to push past and through the front , thus causing the  projectile to expand in the center  . This effect increases  when the  front comes in contact with even more resistance . IE a target .
  A good example of this is a big lead  conical   after mushrooming from hitting a target . Often times  you can still clearly see the base . But the  forward section is  enlarged .  This enlargement isn’t  the  front being forced  out . it’s the center   of the projectile expanding out and around  the  front of the projectile which contacted the resistant first .. As the total mass slows to a stop , it leaves the back end of the projectile setting center of the mass . Again Physics

So once we understand the dynamics of whats going on . We then have to accept the fact that a RB  upon ignition  has to expand within the bore  even if from nothing else  then the effects of  acceleration  on it physical properties . The faster that acceleration , the greater the expansion .

Anyways , sorry to be so long winded . Its  a very interesting  subject  that has been proven time and time again . Both in  actual application and  scientifically .
Of course there will always be those who don’t believe it . Thus we will always have the fun of proving it  over and over again .

Charles,
Thank you for the information.  And yes, I like this forum.  It's a welcome change from that other one.

Take care,
John
Member #632

Offline Double Barrel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »
This is a very interesting thread!  I like the geeky stuff!  Keep it up!  I will be following!
Double Barrel
TMA Member #236
EXP 5/16/12
Huron Muzzleloaders (Member #2)

"An armed society is a polite society.  Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."  --Robert A. Heinlein

Luke 22:36

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »
I thought I'd summarize my impressions from my admittedly limited testing.  It seems to me evident that a soft lead ball does upset or "bump up" on firing and therefore increase in diameter.  The increase in diameter acts to compress the patch material thereby increasing its grip on both ball and rifling and acting to limit gas blow-by.  It also seems evident that the degree to which the upset occurs depends at least partly on how tight the patch/ball combination is when first loaded.

The thin patch test I did was intended to specifically address the situation of being able to start a PRB with thumb pressure (in an un-coned muzzle).  Doing so is obviously possible and PRB was pushed easily down the bore and back out.  So easily that when I smacked the rod with a mallet the ball flew completely out of the barrel and showed neglegible increase in diameter.  It's hard to believe that pressure from the exploding powder would have time to act on the ball before it was expelled from the barrel.  This would result in the classic "burned patch" when recovered after firing and the resultant poor accuracy normally observed in such situations.

Testing with what I consider to be normal patch thickness revealed what I expected to see.  I was able to start the PRB with a light smack of my palm on the short starter and then was able to push it down the bore with firm steady pressure.  The final results indicated that the ball did indeed upset and increase in diameter which would aid in compressing the patch as noted above.  This is the sort of patch/ball combo that has always given me the greatest accuracy in my rifles.

The results of the thick patch testing were surprising to me while also providing the most compelling evidence of ball upset.  In the past, when I would recover a fired patch that showed cuts from the rifling around the circumference of the ball, I assumed that the cuts happened as the ball was shoved down the bore on loading.  It seemed to make sense as the ball would be pushing and stretching the material on the way down the bore.  In the thick patch test however, a PRB pushed straight through didn't show patch cutting even though I was just short not being able to get the PRB to move without resorting to the "pile driver" pounding I've seen some shooters use.  It didn't show patch cutting when pushed back out either.  But when I smacked the rod with a mallet before pushing the ball back up the bore there were cuts that looked like what I'd see from a overly tight patch/ball on recovering a fired patch.

Again, my tests were admittedly limited and would need to be repeated several times to verify accuracy.  Having them repeated by someone other than me would be ideal.  The greatest weakness in my methods is that I can't figure out a way to actually fire a ball and recover it undamaged.  High-speed photography might well reveal a shortened ball on shedding the patch but that is beyond my wallet as well.

Take care,
John
Member #632

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »
Stormride
again  even a lose fitting ball will expand .
  you can never get  the  acceleration needed  to produce the effect  because physically by striking your RR  you not even beginning to  replicate the force of  acceleration  obtained  by  the explosion.
 In fact what your doing is getting expansion by force  striking an object , not by propelling and object
 Lets see if I can explain this  better .
 Lets assume that the ball rides the pressure wave . IE  nothing is striking the ball , its accelerating .
 Lets say a  given test load  produces 1700 ft per second
1 mile =5280ft
 IE its traveling 1 mile in 3.10 sec
60 sec per minute  =19.35  miles  per min.
 60 min. per hour =1161mph

Now lets  think of  the G’s that  imparts  onto an object  if it goes from 0 to 1161 mph in  1 /100000th of a sec ?
 Even if we accept  slower burn , its still accelerated to that speed , in less the 28 inches .
 The force of that acceleration alone  will cause expansion even  with no expansion taking place by the propelling force at all .

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
Stormrider51 at this point it seems all evidence , both mathamatically and pysica indicate that obturation is a fact and not just a theory , and so far no one has come forward with evidence to disprove these findings .
        There has been one factor left out of the test results  and that is the added resistance of the ball patch combo being forced against the spiral of the lands to begin rotation .
         Now this brings up another question ? We need to repeat these tests on how much obturation takes place in a smoothbore . ???
        I don"t know if its still available on the TMA archives but the last reports on BP behavior may be able to be pulled up . Bill Knight no doubt , has forgotten more about BP then most of us will ever know . I will copy off the tests by Ed Yard and Fadala and post them . It will take a while as I know less about computers then flying the space shuttle. :toast
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013