Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hawken Flintlocks?  (Read 2757 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Hawken Flintlocks?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
Quote from: "Muley"
I understand all you're saying, but why did it fire on the second attempt? I also loaded it 3 times after that, and it fired normally. If it had continued to fail I would blame the flint too.

I think flints are fun to shoot, but at my age I can't pass up too many good shots at game, because of gun failure. Maybe i'll get a long rifle flint for shoots, and use a caplock for hunting.

No hard decisions have been made yet. Except to sell the GPR flint.

Might as well take a couple pics of her and get her listed here on the Trade Blanket then!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
Is there an easy way to convert a flint to cap? I really like the gun. Everything fits perfect, and it's a straight shooter.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
Would not take TOO much work, L&R makes a replacement for Lyman GPR's. only problem is it's for RH only, finding a lefty is gonna be tough without having one built for it, and if thats the case, might as well put that $ towards a custom build, JMHO! and if your looking for a good square shooting builder that does quality work at a fair price, you can't go wrong dealing with Captchee! the man does build some fine rifle guns!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 11:37:33 PM »
I seem to remember a flint lock converted to use a nipple. It was screwed into the lock on the flint. I think it used the TH liner somehow. I forgot where I saw it. That would be an easy answer for me.

That, or find someone with a caplock that wants to trade? Anybody?
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »
I'm afraid I have to advocate patience and time on the range here.  Failed to fire on the first strike and then shot reliably after?  Sounds like you had oil on the frizzen.  Lubricants cause things to be slippery.  Slippery is bad when we want a piece of flint to scrape particles of metal off a frizzen.  Let me ask this.  If the rifle had fired on the first try and downed the deer would you even be asking these questions?  I have had more failures to fire from percussions than I have from flinters.  

Don't get me wrong, I think you should go with whatever makes you happy.  We all accept a large handicap when we choose a muzzleloading rifle in the first place.  Flinters can seem more frustrating than percussions at first.  But once you get the hang of a flinter you may well wonder why you ever even considered anything else.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 03:52:47 AM »
What Storm said. I have had more mis-haps (hang fire, failure to fire) with my cap guns than with my flinters. Hang in there a while yet...
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline forest

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »
Muley:
   I can,t tell you what to do and, wouldn't if I could, but then I have never owned a trad. Cap muzzy just 1 flinter with a second on order. I had to teach my self to shoot it so I know it can be frustating but I would never go back.

Forrest
YBIC.  Forrest
    TMA # 640
    valid till 9/5/14

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
I haven't given up yet. Unless it sells before I figure it out.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:49 PM »
You might be thinking of a side slapper or "Mule Ear" Lock.
Here is the URL for the guy that makes it
http://pioneerarms.tripod.com/id3.html
Not sure if he makes a lefty or not.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »
That's not it. The one I saw actually used the flint cock. I think it used a steel flint to hit the nipple to fire it.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 08:27:40 AM »
Nothing to "figure out" Sometime's SH** just happens!  I think if any thing,there was "stuff"on the frizzen,condensate,dew,schmutz or ?. But do what you want.  

Not to seem or sound criticle,but focusing on missing the deer appears to be what bothers you the most. One of the lore's of hunting with a flinter is the experiance that goes with the gun. Have I,the GREAT and POWERFUL Pathfinder ever had miss fire's while having a critter in my sight's? YOU BET!! Critter 1, Pathfinder 0! Still,had a wonderful and soul clearing time in the wood's! You wish the animal well,wipe the Frizzen,make a fire,cook lunch,and smile!

Again,dont mean to offend at all.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »
Not so much that deer, but the ones in the future. I'm a meat hunter, and depend on the meat I get to feed me during the year. As a still hunter for 60 years. I've let so many animals pass I can't count them all. The hunt was always more important than the kill.

However, in today's economy. I now need the meat too. A nice elk will feed me for a long time.

Not offended at all. That deer was important though, because I was getting it for a land owner. If I don't do my job of thinning out the deer for him. I won't get a voucher next year. Less meat again. I have until Wed to get one. The flint has one more chance to get it done.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline Hermit

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:51 AM »
I've found that if you use 3fg these patn. breech flint guns are more reliable, as the breech has an attnd. to bridge over and not get to the bottom, so you have a misfire about 1/3 of the time!

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »
Quote from: "Hermit"
I've found that if you use 3fg these patn. breech flint guns are more reliable, as the breech has an attnd. to bridge over and not get to the bottom, so you have a misfire about 1/3 of the time!

Which is why I want to convert it to a caplock. I've had two other GPR's in caplocks. I never had a problem with the patent breech, or using 2F powder. Even Pyrodex would be reliable. I just got my order of  Goex BP. I can't afford to not use it.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 12:33:59 PM »
I TOTALLY understand the meat hunting thing. I've had cicumstances were In HAD to get meat with a gun to eat,and,in that case, a .22mag in the ear hole and they drop like a rock,everytime!

I also get were your comming from and wanting to use a traditional gun to do your harvesting. Cap OR flint,it's not a matter of IF it will miss fire,but WHEN. Had it happen with both,but never with my Henry .22 mag!
NRA life member
NMLRA