Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: black powder brands  (Read 2388 times)

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
Re: black powder brands
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »
I prefer Goex, made in America, works good.  I wish they'd produce a lot more and drive the price down.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
Quote from: "sse"
I prefer Goex, made in America, works good.  I wish they'd produce a lot more and drive the price down.

:hairy
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline wattlebuster

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #223 Expiration Date 08/13/18
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
I prefer an love goex. Still got plenty. The last order I got in is the Diamonback. Im one of the few that liked elephant an had good luck with it. From what I hear the diamondback is by the same folks just better stuff, or so I was told. Wont have to get into it for quite a while though
Pleasure is the feel of a fine handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a still frosty morning
Member # 223
Membership Exp 08/13/18
Member NMLRA
member CLA

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »
I heard there as a time elephant was a good powder. Just had a rough patch.
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline RiverCat

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
I can`t  compare brands cause I`ve never used anything but Goex. I`ve always bought my powder locally and good ole Goex is the only brand I`ve ever seen any shop around here offer. I only know of one shop that still sells black powder anymore though and they`re gettin kinda pricey so I might be mail ordering some soon. Then I might give the different brands a try just to say I did. Most likely I`ll stay with Goex for the long haul though cause I`ve never had a problem with it and I like to use "American made" when I can. :salute
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »
I shoot Goex .
 I have tried most all the other powder to include most of the synthetics  and still return to Goex .
Swiss is good . But like the others I don’t see enough performance increase to justify the added cost .

The last  batch of powder I got from bear river , ran me 13.00 in the bag and 15.00 in the can .
Sure doest seem that long ago that it was 6.00 lb in the bag ????

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »
I started shooting Dupont back when it was $1.00 per lb.  When they stopped production I used G-O or something like that - some of you may remember better than I.  Next was Goex (which I like a lot), Elephant (when I couldn't get Goex) and now Jacks Battle Powder (made by Goex).  When I started you bought your powder at the hardware store; nowadays if you went there and asked for bp they would probably call the cops on you.

Elephant worked fine for me but I preferred American made.  Jacks Battle Powder, by Goex, is great powder and comparable to Goex 3F.  It's cheaper, too.  I must admit that if price becomes a problem I'd not hesitate buying Diamondback.  Though a bit higher than Diamondback, JBP is my choice, period.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »
Quote from: "Hanshi"
...   Jacks Battle Powder, by Goex, is great powder and comparable to Goex 3F.  It's cheaper, too.  I must admit that if price becomes a problem I'd not hesitate buying Diamondback.  Though a bit higher than Diamondback, JBP is my choice, period.

jbp pricing looks might good (these dayze)!

seems like it only comes in 3F.

what calibers you using it with?  

have you tried it for flintlock flashpan priming?  

it'd be nice to only need one powder, say 3F, for both barrel and pan with .45 to .50 caiber rock locks.

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
I use Goex 3f in just about every thing I shoot.  I will use 2f in my 12ga,  I also use the 3f as priming powder in my rock locks.  IMO it works just fine.  YMMV.
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »
i'm gonna hafta give go-ex 3f a try for both the barrel and pan ...

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »
That's what I use. Goex 3Fg in both pan and main charge.  

I was told today that my normal outlet for powder for the reenactments isn't getting Diamondback right now..., no word when they will have it.  BUT not to worry, as they now carry GOEX Reenactor Grade powder for 12.50 a pound, which is what we were paying for the Diamondback for making blanks ("Standard" Goex is $24 out here).  AND..., this will support GOEX, an American Company.  I've nothing against the imported powders, but if the price is the same and I can support an in-country business..., that's better (imho).

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »
Going to JBP was no problem since I use 3F for virtually everything.  I've even done a fair amount of priming using JBP with complete satisfaction - I'm basically a 4F prime dude.  I still have a few lbs of Goex but will be using JBP for a good while as I still have a half case.  When it's gone, I'll order more.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »
I had never heard of this JBP before this thread.  :oops:

I don't need any powder myself, but if I did I would certainly run out and get some JBP just to try it.
I would imagine such an affordable substitute among current Goex users would certainly be welcomed.
Little things, like the cost of powder, the price of a box of caps, the costs of flints, increased range fees, etc, etc, all has a major impact on our sport.

If there is product that will work just as efficiently, but cost less, I am all for it.
With today's economy and the cost of living at an all time high, we in the Muzzleloading community can use every little break we can get, and information such as this can go a looong way.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »
I prefer Goex, but Graf's is pretty good, too.  However, it also depends upon what it's being used for.  For all my MLs, either of those two works fine, but for bp rockets, you do not want to use commercial brands.
Member #424

Offline Ranch 13

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
I've been using KIK quite a bit since Hogdons took over Goex. That's some good powder.
Also have been shooting some the brand new Old Eynsford and this stuff is fast and clean.