Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: black powder brands  (Read 2380 times)

Offline No Rod

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 80
Re: black powder brands
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 08:06:15 PM »
You know what I like about this thread? All the different powders that are available. I had no idea there were still that many around. It just gives me hope.
Get rid of everything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful, the portage will be much easier.

Jon Bertolet
TMA Charter Member #80

Offline david32cal

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »
i have never used anything but Goex and Kix,cant see any difference in them myself. course i'm just shootin' squirrels with'em.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »
but for bp rockets, you do not want to use commercial brands.

Are you limited to using actual BP for your rocket work?  I prefer R-Candy for fuel, but my experience is very limited.  I have been asked to help with a Congreve Rocket Battery and demonstration for 2014, the 200th anniversary of the attack on Ft. McHenry and the writing of The Star Spangled Banner.  Not actually an event at that site..., US Park Service frowns on actual projectiles downrange in many locations..., another park has asked for a static display, plus a demonstration firing later in the day.  Don't know if we will actually do the firing..., Congreve rockets being overgrown bottle rockets and not very stable in flight.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline SAWMA

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
My supplier is limiting a person to two pounds per purchase. :-(
SAWMA

Every Animal Knows More Than You Do!
TMA #193
5/16/14

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
mainepowderhouse has a 5# minimum order and goes up to 50# - 25# ships for free, too.  goex is $16/#.

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »
Quote from: "Loyalist Dave"
but for bp rockets, you do not want to use commercial brands.

Are you limited to using actual BP for your rocket work?  I prefer R-Candy for fuel, but my experience is very limited.  I have been asked to help with a Congreve Rocket Battery and demonstration for 2014, the 200th anniversary of the attack on Ft. McHenry and the writing of The Star Spangled Banner.  Not actually an event at that site..., US Park Service frowns on actual projectiles downrange in many locations..., another park has asked for a static display, plus a demonstration firing later in the day.  Don't know if we will actually do the firing..., Congreve rockets being overgrown bottle rockets and not very stable in flight.  

LD

Actually, I had to use bp in my particular work, as it had to do with my original PhD studies (I am completely done now, having received my degree in February).  I was familiar with rocket candy even back then, but just propelling a projectile was not enough, as it was the use of bp that was important (rockets streaking up into the sky was just a happy outcome).  Commercial bp could not be used as it burns too fast; for that reason, it had to be made to burn slowly, which required custom-made.  I compared conflagration rates of different bp (including commercial brands) and that went into my research.
Member #424

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
Always used Goex, goes boom every time. $24.99 a lb at Gander Mtn yesterday.  ;)
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
Greyhunter said:

Always used Goex, goes boom every time. $24.99 a lb at Gander Mtn yesterday.   Ouch, I remember $6.00 a lb., seems like only yesterday.  
You can still remember all the back to yesterday?!?  :shock:
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline RiverCat

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
Quote from: "greyhunter"
Always used Goex, goes boom every time. $24.99 a lb at Gander Mtn yesterday.  ;)

The over the counter price is gettin up there aint it :(   I paid a dollar less than that for the last pound I bought six months or so ago.  Been thinking more and more about springing for a whole case through mail order to keep the cost down. Problem with that is I only go through on average two or three pounds a year and I like to buy from the only local place that still sells real powder. Used to be able to get it lots of places around here but they all quit selling it because no one bought it anymore. Had one place tell me they only sold two pounds of Goex in the last year they carried it and at that rate it wasn`t worth the money and hassle to stock it anymore.  I can understand their situation completely but it`s bad for us folks that still use it.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
at $16 a pound for goex, 25 pounds will ship for free (no shipping and no hazmat fees) in the USA from mainepowderhouse.  

get some guys together and make up an order.  that's what i did.

$16 a pound sure beats $24 a pound.

and 50% savings is a nice thing today, even though you paid $6 per pound years ago.  the way gun politics is going, flintlocks and black powder will be the idiot's next target.  git it while ya can.   just sayin', folks ..... no-brainer stuff.

Offline Ranch 13

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »
Powder Inc will ship in 5-10 and case lots.
Grafs will ship a minimum of 4 lbs,

Offline RiverCat

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »
I know there`s places that will mail less than a full case of powder. What I`m saying I guess, is that I`d rather buy from local stores unless I need something not available locally. If the prices keep going up though I might have to give in and get some shipped in.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
imho, LGS support trumps mail order, even if i pay a bit more.  

however, NONE of my LGS's have bp, let alone smokeless, to sell.

it's a changing gun world out there, we can all see it and feel it and it's not a good thing for us ....

Offline Ranch 13

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
Absolutely if you have a local shop to get powder that is THE place to do it. In my circumstance the closest place that may or may not have it, and never the same brand twice ,on hand is 90 miles oneway, and in a direction I don't travel very often.

Offline SAWMA

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »
Forgot to say that when i did purchase my Goex powder this last time, it came in one pound plastic containers. Thats a first for me, seemed a little cheap!  Plastic and Muzzleloaders. :-O
SAWMA

Every Animal Knows More Than You Do!
TMA #193
5/16/14