Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shooting Tips and Tricks Thread  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Shooting Tips and Tricks Thread
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »
Let's start a thread where tips are given about What works for you in terms of reliability, accuracy, etc.  Here's my first suggestion.  I've heard people say that if they sight in from a bench the point of impact will change when they shoot offhand.  Here's something to try.  Rest the fore end on the sandbags at the exact same spot your hand would be if shooting offhand.  A gun will always recoil away from a point of contact so make sure the rest is at the same point as your hand would be.

Who's next?

Storm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:00:07 AM by Stormrider51 »
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
Re: Accuracy Tips Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:34:07 PM »
Storm,
          Great tip! If I had one tip to give,especially to a new shooter it
would be practice dry fire. In the case of off hand it will get one use to
holding the rifle's weight on target.
 Thanks for starting this thread,should get some good pointers with all
the experience around here.

snake-eyes  :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »
There is a difference between the bench and offhand.  Although shooting from a bench has for a while been somewhat problematic for me, groups are invariably high compared with either sitting or offhand.  Finding one's best load is best done from a bench rest situation; sighting in, however, is best done from offhand or a field sitting position.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:41:57 PM »
Thanks for starting a VERY interesting thread Storm!  :lt th
I suspect there's as many different thoughts on how to improve accuracy as there are shooters, and that is as it should be.

Right or wrong I suspect my own experience is exactly as Hanshi pointed out....this may not hold true for everyone, but I know dozens of shooters who feel strongly the same way I do.

FWIW; My Load / Bench shooting zero / group is never the same zero for my off-hand shooting.
I will fine-tune a load from the Bench, to be sure, but as soon as I off-hand that bench zero for group, using the same sight picture, my group will be low at or around 4 / 5 o'clock.... every time.

Consequently, on my rifles with fixed sights, I never drift the front sight until my bench load is as good as I can get it by "holding" appropriately...I'll then drift or file the front to confirm to my off-hand center group.

Another thing is sights, early on I tried a passel of sights....always had to have what ever was trending at the time. For a few years the front blade was brass, brass on black, then nickle, then "pure" German Silver, then Ivory tipped on black, then whatever else came into vogue next.
About 25 /30 years ago I started shootin cold-black and I haven't looked back since...for open sights it's black on black...as black as I can get but never shinny.

If I was to offer one tip, that I felt was iron glad and would help everyone improve their shooting scores, I would say keep your sight black and plain old soot works wonders for that purpose....maintaining a figure eight at KD ranges also seems to help a bit.

YMMV on every thing I just said, but if you haven't tried it, you may just be pleasantly surprised.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline 1Poet

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread, Storm. :applaud

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:51:19 AM »
There's a ton of experience on here.  I'm hoping everyone will share their thoughts and observations about what works for them.  I don't expect total agreement, in fact I would be disappointed if there was, because we all have different things that work for us.  Newbies, and even us old timers, can try others ideas and see what works best.  For me at least, that's part of the fun of shooting black powder.  Every gun is a Universe unto itself.

Storm
Member #632

Offline Stormrider51

Re: Shooting Tips and Tricks Thread
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 01:01:04 AM »
I just edited the thread to expand it a little.

Storm
Member #632

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
I've gotten my flint-lock to fire about as quickly after the trigger is pulled as my 2 cap-lock rifles... and it only takes a little extra time to do a few things to improve the faster ignition of the main charge of powder in a flinter.

First, I wipe the edge of the flint and the face of the frizzen with a clean, dry patch.  Then I wipe out the frizzen pan with the same patch.  Then, after I load powder and patched ball (patch cut at the muzzle), I use a large, "unbent" paper clip to "clean out" the flash-hole to insure it's completely cleared.

You don't need a fancy "pick", just unbend a large, fat paper-clip and that's the bestest "tool" you could use... and the part of the paper clip that's still bent normally can be used as a small "handle" to poke the unbent end into and clean out the muzzle-loader's flash-hole.

Then I put some FFFFg in the pan and lean the rifle to the left and lightly hit the left side of the stock near the trigger-guard a few "bumps" with the palm of my hand to allow some of the FFFFg to be dribbled into the flash-hole.

Then I bring the rifle back to level and insure the FFFFg is evenly distributed over the entire length of the frizzen pan, adding a bit more FFFFg if needed for good ignition, then I lightly "bump" the right side of the rifle's stock a few times just in front of the frizzen pan with my open hand to re-distribute the FFFFg in the frizzen pan evenly.

Then I cock the rifle to full-cock if it isn't already at full-cock, aim at the target, set the double-set trigger and carefully "squeeze-off" the shot.

Using this method, I've had VERY few "flashes-in-the-pan" or mis-fires... and ignition has been very, VERY fast with literally NO "hesitation"... often SEEMING as fast as percussion cap rifles... and part of the "fun" is making your fellow shooters wonder how you're doing it !~!~!    :applaud    :toast

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:15:06 AM by Ron T. »
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 10:10:54 AM »
Thanks, Ron!  Great tip and there is data to back you up.  Filled Vent Test  

Storm
Member #632

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
Thanx, Storm...   :lol sign

ALL of these things are part of the "mystic" of black powder shooting and traditional muzzle loading rifles and fowlers. N'est pas, mon ami?  :lt th

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
Here's my tip that's helped me recently.

I have a real problem "flinching" with my flintlock.  It is the movement of the hammer and frizzen that distracts my eye and causes the flinch.

I made a "flint" of hard wood so I can practice dry firing the flint lock.  At first I practiced on the bench rest just to get accustomed to "ignoring" the movement.  Now I am practicing off hand and concentrating on keeping the sights on target after the hammer falls and following through with the sight picture.  

My monthly match scores show it's working but the greatest improvement has been seen on thrown clay targets.
Steve Sells

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »
One more hint,

All my miss-fires and hang-fires have been eliminated by changing my cleaning methods.  It seems that each barrel, ignition type (drum, patent breech, flash hole liner) requires a particular  method of cleaning in order to clear all the fouling from the flash channel.  

After I got that mystery solved miss-fires and hang-fires disappeared.
Steve Sells

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:53:24 PM »
Being a hunter instead of a target shooter. I stay far far away from a bench.

I sight in my guns from a knee. I figure if I can shoot small groups from a knee. Why do I need a bench? Any groups I do shoot from a bench won't be the same POI when I go to a knee, so what good are they? I don't use a bench when hunting, but I do use a knee, and offhand. My POI stays the same from a knee to offhand. So, sighting in from a knee is all I need to do.

Another perk of sighting in my gun from knee and offhand is it's not only good for hunting, but also for shoots. I like to keep things simple. Do the same thing for everything. It's very peaceful.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »
"Aim small - miss small"

Sorry, that's all I got...
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »
The bench versus offhand question has been around longer than Uncle Russ; the main jist being that different bench height's cause different problems. An offhand shooter must use a bench that aligns his head, neck, and shoulder area in the same plane as standing upright. If sitting on a bench or chair, that puts the bench height for me at about 42". Anytime you must hunker down and snug into your stock, you'll have problems. The cant of the head, and therefore, your eyes, WILL cause your shots to go astray. As your eyes rotate upward, the surface of it changes from round to oval and distorts the picture. Holding your head still, you'll always see better looking straight forward than looking up, down, or sideways. I feel that's also why eyeglasses are ground to different thicknesses as they follow the contour of the glass around the eye. At least that's my 2 cents.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016