Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Shooting Tips and Tricks Thread  (Read 2707 times)

Offline buffalo pony

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Shooting Tips and Tricks Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2014, 12:03:37 AM »
When discussing accuracy and sighting in as it relates to muzzleloaders little mention is made on muzzleloader specific issues that differ greatly from cartridge smokeless guns.
I feel it necessary to remind new loaders that the patch is the guidance system for the ball and if it is compromised by too much lube or lack of thickness you will throw a fly ball.
A fouled barrel will mean less rifling contact with the patch. If you dump powder down a damp or greasy  barrel a lot gets stuck to the side and wet, that's the reason for the extra long barrel funnels you don't see anymore. If you fail to weigh each ball to insure that you have consistent bullet weight your sighting in will be based on a guess.
If you use precut patches and one side goes down more than the other it will contact the rifling in an unequal manner that shows up down range. In the end it is your patch and the contact it makes or does not make with the rifling that will have the biggest impact on accuracy. God made the patch knife for a reason.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »
Quote from: "Stormrider51"
... One last suggestion before I close.  While you have the barrel out of the stock apply a good coat of furniture wax to the barrel channel.  I was often amazed to find a gun with a beautifully finished stock exterior and raw wood in the barrel channel.  The same moisture that can cause the barrel to rust under there can cause the stock to eventually soften and rot.
Storm

good stuff!

after staining the raw stock wood, then lightly buffing with 0000 steel wool and a stiff paper towel, i wicked in quality water thin cya to the entire length of the barrel channel and all stock areas hidden by the lock.  i'd dribble on some cya then "whisk" it over the wood with a short piece of folded paper towel that had the whisking ends torn/frayed, like a pseudo brush.  this hardens, stiffens, and protects the wood.  following that, on went the clear coats.

Offline cyotewa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »
Ever try splitting a ball on an ax blade & break a clay pigeon on each side of it? Unless you know the trick the odds are 1:1000 against the best shots making it. I learned the trick about 50 yrs ago from a book handed down from my Grandfather and have astounded much better shots than I with my 36 Seneca. So here goes the trick...
Don't try to hold steady on the center of the ax blade you will wobble a little in every direction, track the blade up and down and you won't be off side to side. I track the blade up & down 3-5 times before I start putting pressure on the trigger taking 1 second to track from bottom to top. When I'm ready to shoot as I start tracking from bottom to top I start putting pressure on the trigger, if the hammer didn't fall on the way up I don't use any more pressure on the way down I only want to fire on the up track so on my next track up the blade I put more pressure on the trigger and fire.  The other trick is use a shotgun;-)
Rob

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
That's pretty much what shooting offhand is all about. Nobody can hold the sights steady offhand. You'll just tense up if you try. You just time the movement to pull the trigger as it passes over the target.

Set triggers are made for offhand shooting. Trying to time the sights as they move over the target with a trigger you have to squeeze won't be accurate. That takes too long to pull the trigger. A light tap on a set trigger is what you want. Not really a tap, but it feels like it, because the trigger is so light.

Squeezing a trigger slowly is for bench shooting when you can hold the sights steady.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline cyotewa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 01:00:57 AM »
Sorry Muley but the slow squeeze on the up track with a trigger having a minimum of 2lb pull is what it takes to split the ball.
Rob

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
I was talking about target shooting, and offhand shots hunting. Especially, at moving game.

I've never tried the ax blade shot. What range is that done at?
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline cyotewa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 10:24:07 PM »
When shooting a double barrel and you shot one barrel and want to load it before you shoot the other barrel.
First, remove caps from both nipples.
Second, run ramrod down both barrels to be positive which barrel is loaded and leave ramrod in loaded barrel while loading unloaded barrel to ensure not double loading.
I've seen 3 shooters that were absolutely positive they were loading the empty barrel double load the unfired barrel.
Rob

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 10:31:06 PM »
Quote from: "cyotewa"
When shooting a double barrel and you shot one barrel and want to load it before you shoot the other barrel.
First, remove caps from both nipples.
Second, run ramrod down both barrels to be positive which barrel is loaded and leave ramrod in loaded barrel while loading unloaded barrel to ensure not double loading.
I've seen 3 shooters that were absolutely positive they were loading the empty barrel double load the unfired barrel.

:hairy
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
I use the bench to file, adjust and set my sights. And I place my other gun and some equipment on it. After the sights are right, you don't need the bench again. Just shot and practice. One of my practice tips is using an outdoor channrel program or your own hunting videos. I replace my flint with a small wooden faux flint. As I watch the videos I take shots at the game,  I work on my follow through (keep watching the sight on target after the hammer fall) Keep that gun on the shoulder. When shooting at the range keep shouldered until the smoke clears. Make up your own follow through practice checkdown( full cock; shoulder & cheak it; sight it; set trigger(If it has a set); squeeze trigger; watch result; wait for smoke to clear and then lower the gun.) Work it, over and over until it's like and itch. It gets scratched without a thought to it.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 09:41:21 PM »
  how many of you remove the barrel from the stock for cleaning?

It depends on the gun and how it's bedded.  Some are removed after every session and others less frequently.  Those which are glass bedded are not removed often.  I find all my guns require different cleaning routines.  Some need more care more frequently and others less.  

I agree with your ideas on barrel pins.  I fear losing a pin in the field so I fill the pin holes with bees wax to hold them in should one decide to become loose.  I also seal the lock with a roll of bees wax about the thickness of a pencil lead.  I put the wax in the recess of the inletting and the lock plate on top of it.  Snug down the lock screws and the excess wax is squeezed out.
Steve Sells

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
I just about never  remove the barrels from my long rifles  but maybe once a year to once ever 2 years .
 If you have a browned barrel , you have a rusted barrel . As long as the barrel was browned properly , you should not build large  iron oxide  rust  be it on the top or in the barrel channel .
 Cold Blued barrels are different story  and depending on the Bluing  used , it may not  do anything to resist rust .
  If however your out in the rain snow or other wet weather  its not a bad idea to check the barrel when your all done  to insure that your oil , grease or wax is doing what its supposed to . Once you have insured it has , there is little reason for it not to continue  since its locked under the barrel and not subject to wear .
 Myself when I finish a barrel , be it  browned or blued , I coat  it with hot linseed .  Thus when the barrel is put in place  there is very little worry

On the pins .  Take them in and out on the same side . Round and polish the ends and you will have no more issues with pins messing up the  holes .

On the subject of bedding  either your barrel is bedded   or its floating .
  Beading the tang does not produce the same purpose as pillar beading does on a center fire. Thus we cant really free float a Traditional muzzle loading  side lock barrel .
 Add into all that is whats called barrel harmonics . Which is different for muzzleloaders .
 But anyway , my point is that unless the barrel is fully bedded , then you  have areas where moisture can be trapped. Don’t forget that your stock has to be able to breath to some extent .

So while moisture may not  get to the bottom of a fully bedded barrel , it can get under the barrel at the muzzle or along the edge of the fore stock . But again once the barrel has been coated  and then checked to insure  the chosen coating is working   there should be very little to no reason to remove the barrel  other to  insure  ones self .

Offline PeteA

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 09:02:43 AM »
Very timely and interesting post.

I'm new to muzzleloaders and firearms for that matter. I've been shooting off the bench to test loads and patch combinations for my 50 cal CVA Hawken cap lock . 70gr of pyrodex under a .490 ball and .018 patch are giving me 2.5 -3 in groups of 5 shots at 50 yards. My POA is at 6 o'clock and my POI is about 2" high. So I decided to switch it up and shoot a few shots off hand last weekend. I figured I would have the same results. Everything the same except off hand, and 3 shots within 2.5", perfect windage BUT 4 inches low for what I thought would be the POI! Although I seem to be grouping well (for me anyway) from the bench at 50 yards my body position does not feel natural. I feel like I'm hunched over the rifle. I feel like I am looking down over the stock. The other issue I'm having is my rear sight is bottomed out when sighting in from the bench. With a load well within the guidelines for the ML I have no rear sight adjustment if I were to increase loads and if my POI should hit higher. I find this very odd.  

Standing, off hand I fell considerably more up right. More natural. I'm a traditional archer and bow hunter so that body position feels better. I originally thought that this was just my inexperience in shooting. Possibly dropping the front of the barrel and not following through. But now from what I'm seeing in this post, maybe not so much. I've started working on dry firing to keep my POA on target after the shot. I'll be at the range again this weekend and try all off hand shooting to really see whats going on.

Offline cyotewa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »
Your sand bag off of the bench is much stiffer then your arm when you're shooting off hand so your rifle is getting a bounce off of the bench fold up a soft towel or a coat to put on top of your sandbag so that you won't get the bounce I've seen people have the same result many times. I had the same results myself once when I lean my rifle on a fence post even though I had my hand between the post and my rifle it got bounced and shot about 6 inches high.
Rob

Online Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 07:15:58 PM »
If you want to avoid having a hard bag on top make up one or two bags with kitty litter or foam beads.  Use them as the top bags.  Much softer and lighter too. Also conforms to the gun better.

Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2016, 10:58:12 PM »
Quote from: "Muley"
I've never tried the ax blade shot. What range is that done at?

Most of the ax blade shoots and card cuts that I have competed at were at about 10 paces.  Some go out further.  
Another thing I have seen done is everyone takes a shot at the ax or the card.  Whoever misses is out.  Whoever is left takes another step backwards and they do it all over again.  This repeats until there is only one shooter left.  He wins.
That same thing is done with candle snuffs as well.  Last man standing.
Usually, by 20 paces, the contest is settled.
It sure is fun.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life