Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Using plastic shot cups to increase range  (Read 1522 times)

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
Using plastic shot cups to increase range
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:53:36 PM »
I have reviewed to method for making paper shot cups to increase range. What about plastic shot cups like you can get from a re-loader's supply? I was thinking a load like powder/card/half a felt wad/plastic cup with shot/overshot card. Using a pre-slit cup with a flat base should work. Has anyone tried this?

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
Re: Using plastic shot cups to increase range
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
I would worry about melted plastic in the bore...
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »
Al,
I wonder if that could not be alleviated by using either an over powder wad or a Wonder Wad over the powder and below the shot cup.
I remember discussing this with Fred Neal at Cabela's years ago when the issue of steel shot in muzzleloaders was being debated and he mentioned talking about using a certain shot cup and did not have a problem with plastic fouling, even in heavy 10 gauge loads.
I am not much into shotgunning, so I have not really had any experience with this situation.  Just thinking that buffering the cup from the powder should solve any problem.
I do know that in using heavy charges in big bore rifles, I have had good luck in keeping patches from burning by using a lubricated cushion wad between the powder and the PRB.  I am thinking the concept should be the same.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:43:41 PM »
bigsmoke, what you described is what I have in mind for a load. After I put in the first post, I did a little searching and found that plastic shot cups are not always 'appreciated' on this website. I apologize in advance if I offend. The thing is, my smoothbore has work to do. By next season it will be taking Sharp-tail Grouse and Pheasant. As it sits, the pattern is far too spread out to be effective past 25 yards. I need forty yards. The barrels are too thin to consider jug choking. All that is left as an option is some type of shot cup, and I fear that paper cups, properly made, will be too fragile for the field work we do.
On the plus side, I will be introducing some serious outdoors-men and shooters to the joys of a muzzle loading shotgun.

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 06:52:31 AM »
John, yeah, I see what you and smokepole are saying.  I reckon a lubed cushion wad would keep the direct fire/heat away from the shot cup.  I've never tried it but would be interested in seeing the results.  Smokepole...please let us know how this works out for you.
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline No Deer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 78
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 07:55:17 AM »
Quite a few years ago I experimented with plastic cups.  I tried them with the cushion, and tried them with the cushion cut off.  I could not get any improvement in my pattern.  Granted, I did not spend a lot of time trying these, as I  ran out of patience with it when I did not see any improvement.  Maybe further testing would have gotten some results.  IIRC, I used cushion wads between the OP card and the cups, I did not have any problem with melting plastic.
Life is too important to take seriously.

TMA Charter member #78
Valid until 8/16/2015
President, Lansing Muzzleloading Gun Club
Visit us at: Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:32:55 AM »
Thanks for the info. I found some pre-slit cups with a flat base. I will load them as you described and 'wear out the pattern board' to see if I can tighten it up. Perhaps I can post some results in a week or so. Thanks, and stay warm and keep your powder dry in Lansing.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »
Like No Deer, I tried 'em. I tried the CVA ones with a removable base. Tried with & without base, wad under cup, different degrees of slit in cup, (found you could make a pretty good slug w/o slitting at all!) I think I still have half a bag somewhere. never did get a decent turkey group. although if I could hit one in the head with that slug.....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:23 AM »
I have a small supply of plastic cups given me years ago and now have no idea who to get them from. They came un split and hold 1 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot.  There are reference rings and I split them down to the 4th ring (4 splits).  Over powder wad (Murphy's Oil Soap), column, shot and over shot card.  Pattern at 35 yards is tight and a turkey killer to 50.  Only fire a couple of times per year and brush takes care of any residual plastic.

TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 12:04:30 PM »
How far down the shot cup is the fourth ring? Half? Three quarters?  Also, is the shot cup a plain flat base? There is a shooter's supply here that has all sorts of shot cups. I will see if I can find something similar. Thanks for any information.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
I knew guys about 4 decades ago who loaded exactly as you propose to do. I don't know that any of them actually patterned those loads. They carried a range box full of stuff to the range to bust clays. I shot a 20ga 44" flinter loaded "V M Starr style" with powder, 2 thin cards, salvaged shot, 1 thin card. I loaded from the bag in half the time and shot as well, sometimes beating them all.

Go ahead and try it. Your mileage may be superior.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »
If your gun is an original or even a repro  using plastic is the perfect way to ruin the bore of your gun . Black powder and plastic wads to not mix I have seen far too many muzzle loaders and breech loading hammer guns ruined  using these . Melting plastic builds up inside the bore which in turn causes barrel ripple , the build up of plastic is a obstruction which can cause a bulge and worse still a bursted barrel  Stick to your card wads  and a volume load it will always be the best
Feltwad

Online Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »
At one time I shot a lot of competitive BP trap. Those guys shot hundreds of rounds and had a lot riding on their load performance. No one shot plastic shot cups.

Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 08:06:26 PM »
Using Remington All American wads in my Navy Arms double I could break as many clays at trap as I could with my 870TC trap gun.

Plastic fouling gone with 1 brush and pass of shooters choice.

By the way I never had the so called petroleum goop using petroleum products with Black.

Offline cyotewa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 12:04:08 AM »
My friends & I have been using plastic wads in both of my BP SxS since the 70's. I have shot over 3000 plastic wads in them and haven't had the slightest problem with them. I have less than 3000 left as I bought 6000 years ago I'll keep shooting them and as soon as I have a problem with them I'll let you know. I hear horror stories about them melting with BP but I don't think it has near the flame temp as smokeless.
Rob