Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Using plastic shot cups to increase range  (Read 1520 times)

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Using plastic shot cups to increase range
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 12:32:14 AM »
That makes a lot of sense. How can a well sealed BP load create more heat than a modern cartridge? I am going to go for it. If things F**** up, I will reply to this post. My guns are not for for display. I HUNT with them.

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 01:59:55 AM »
Smokepolo.

Good luck with them if your gun is an original you will need it ,has I said early on I have seen too many guns ruined with them.
Feltwad

Offline Skychief

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 11:35:23 PM »
If I felt the need to shoot plastic wads, I'd have to dust off the 1100.  I just wouldn't feel right about them with my muzzleloading smoothbores, but, that's just me.

If you try it and like it, that's great.  There's a lot of different interests and perspectives with black powder guns.  Good luck.

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »
Thanks for your input. Believe me, I have no love affair with plastic wads and for that matter, I rarely shoot modern firearms anymore. Muzzleloaders are just more interesting. The problem is one of range. Sharp-tails and pheasant shots are most often in the 30-40 yard range, especially late in the season. My smooth-bore is cylinder choked and the barrels are too thin for choke tubes or jug choking.
  I have tried paper shot cups but the results were not satisfactory as the pattern density was not consistent. That is the reason for looking at all other options. I am also looking for some sort of heavy card type cups, so the search continues.
Thanks

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 12:02:55 AM »
If I felt the need to shoot plastic wads, I'd have to dust off the 1100. I just wouldn't feel right about them with my muzzleloading smoothbores, but, that's just me.

I second that. For me it's about getting the game within killing range of my BP smoothbore
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline cyotewa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 12:24:41 AM »
All I can say is come on out here and go goose hunting with me and see how you do???
Rob

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 01:49:15 AM »
I've never had any interest in loading my traditional muzzleloaders with non-traditional components,.... doin' so just don't seem right some how.  :rt th  :hey-hey
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 11:58:24 AM »
All I can say is come on out here and go goose hunting with me and see how you do???

We've got geese up the ying yang here in Michigan with a special early season. With blinds and decoys it's not hard to get geese within spitting distance, I've even hunted them with a longbow. Like I said, get them within range, if you can't do that with a muzzleloader then get a modern 10ga
Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
I've never had any interest in loading my traditional muzzleloaders with non-traditional components,.... doin' so just don't seem right some how.

:shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »
Muzzleloaders are just more interesting.
Oh yeah...
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 09:49:40 PM »
Sorry to stir up such a fuss between the very traditional and the progressive traditional muzzleloading community! I am just a novice and have so much to learn from those who have 'been there and done that'. I really just want to shoot 'Ugly Betty'  30 to 40 yards and cannot jug choke or invector choke her due to barrel walls being too thin. There is one thing I just cannot figure out. Why would a muzzleloading shotgun melt plastic to the inside of the barrels when a cartridge gun does not? The heat surely is more intense in modern gun.
BTW- I used to be a member of the Cro-Magnon website, but quit it in pure disgust. Some of those members were taking sharpened rocks and wrapping them to the end of poles. Can you believe it? They called this stupid invention 'Spears'. All of us true Cro-Magnons know that when you are taking down a Mammoth, you have to get in close and use a flint knife. What a bunch of Neanderthals!

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »
All a "spear" is,.... is a knife with a looooong handle.  ;)
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline No Deer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 78
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 06:34:43 AM »
Quote from: "smokepole45"
Sorry to stir up such a fuss between the very traditional and the progressive traditional muzzleloading community!There is one thing I just cannot figure out. Why would a muzzleloading shotgun melt plastic to the inside of the barrels when a cartridge gun does not? The heat surely is more intense in modern gun.

Don't worry about ruffling feathers, some people just want to be as historically correct as they possibly can, and respond on the computer about how it offends their sensibilities to use any modern components (Ironic ain't it?  :rotf ).  I personally think that it is a matter of personal taste as to how historically correct someone wants to be, and we should not criticize anyone that thinks outside that box, especially someone fairly new. I respect those that are striving for historical accuracy, and wish them luck, as I am comfortable with the level that the crowd I run with, and I have reached.  It is all about where the level of enjoyment is that an individual wishes to attain.

No scientific evidence to back it up, but just based on my experience shooting black powder shotguns and cartridge guns, the barrel gets very much hotter with black powder than it does with cartridges.  Can't explain why, just know it does.  I can shoot a string of trap with my cartridge gun and the barrel gets warm, but shoot a string with  a muzzleloader and almost can't touch the barrel, depending on how fast you can reload.  It is really evident with a black powder cartridge shotgun.
Life is too important to take seriously.

TMA Charter member #78
Valid until 8/16/2015
President, Lansing Muzzleloading Gun Club
Visit us at: Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Quote from: "No Deer"
Quote from: "smokepole45"
Sorry to stir up such a fuss between the very traditional and the progressive traditional muzzleloading community!There is one thing I just cannot figure out. Why would a muzzleloading shotgun melt plastic to the inside of the barrels when a cartridge gun does not? The heat surely is more intense in modern gun.
 I personally think that it is a matter of personal taste as to how historically correct someone wants to be, and we should not criticize anyone that thinks outside that box, especially someone fairly new. I respect those that are striving for historical accuracy, and wish them luck, as I am comfortable with the level that the crowd I run with, and I have reached.  It is all about where the level of enjoyment is that an individual wishes to attain..

No Deer,
             :shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 12:26:17 PM »
Lest we forget, our TMA Mission Statement is:.....

The TMA is dedicated to preserving the rich and fascinating heritage of the traditional muzzle loading firearms of early America. Whether your interest is in rendezvous, re-enactments, historical clothing, camps, trapping, weapons, accoutrements or American history, all historical topics in relation to the muzzle loading firearms prior to 1900 are welcomed.

Thanks everyone, for keeping this in mind.
rollingb
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6