Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Using plastic shot cups to increase range  (Read 1516 times)

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
Re: Using plastic shot cups to increase range
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
RB,
     I most certainly agree with the TMA mission statement. But,in this case,why wasn't
it brought up with the first post of this thread rather than many post later? :shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
Quote from: "snake eyes"
RB,
     I most certainly agree with the TMA mission statement. But,in this case,why wasn't
it brought up with the first post of this thread rather than many post later? :shake [/color]
Had I noticed where this topic was headed earlier, I would have mentioned it sooner.  :shake
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 01:56:12 AM »
Here is a video of loading shot (mixed with corn meal to hold the shot column together for extended range) in a smoothbore. Watching the video is less complicated then me trying to explain the process using the written word.

For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »
Now that looks like it has some promise! I will take 'Ugly Betty' to the pattern board tomorrow and see how that load works. Thanks so much.

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Quote from: "Rocklock"
I have a small supply of plastic cups given me years ago and now have no idea who to get them from. They came un split and hold 1 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot.  There are reference rings and I split them down to the 4th ring (4 splits).  Over powder wad (Murphy's Oil Soap), column, shot and over shot card.  Pattern at 35 yards is tight and a turkey killer to 50.  Only fire a couple of times per year and brush takes care of any residual plastic.

TC
Ballistic products Shotshell reloading supplies, components, & accessories: Ballistic Products

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
Quote from: "snake eyes"
RB,
Had I noticed where this topic was headed earlier, I would have mentioned it sooner.  :shake
RB,
      :shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 11:50:41 PM »
Guys, I am the guy who started this topic, and now I will end it. My only purpose was to get increased range from a Beretta Tricentennial muzzleloading shotgun that cannot be choked. Let me also say that I am not a 'Mountain man' or primitive hunting re-enactor. I am a very experienced bird hunter. My friends and I hunt only wild birds and we are very competitive. I decided to raise the bar by eschewing modern shells and hunting with a muzzle-loader. The only idea I had was to use plastic shot cups to hold the pattern density out to 30-40 yards. Some of the comments were a bit snotty, but most were VERY helpful. One of the last comments was a link to a video showing how to use corn muffin mix to extend range. Danged if it didn't work! I got my answer about extending range, I won't use plastic, and I am very grateful to all who commented. Thanks to you all for your help.
 This is all about a hunt coming up in December next year. I will be chasing wily late season pheasant and sharptails with "Ugly Betty'. I am leaving my Benellis and CZ's at home in favor of black powder. After the hunt is over I will try to post a video of me nailing wild sharptail grouse and pheasant with 'Ugly Betty'.
  Again, thank you for all of your comments and ideas.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2015, 12:03:37 AM »
I'm glad the corn meal worked for you!  :hairy
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline smokepole45

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2015, 12:48:35 AM »
Thanks to you for getting me there. You, above all have been most helpful.

BRAVO  ZULU

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2015, 01:12:43 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline stouffrc

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »
In his book "Shotguns" I seem ro remember Elmer Kieth mentioning pouring melted tallow inside his hand loaded paper shells and then allowing it to set up. I belive he was pass-shooting ducks and geese. (Last month I finished books by Kieth, Hinman, and Greener and it all blurs together.) If you have ever seen the old Burt Lancaster move: Valdez is Coming; he used the same trick in his sawed-off shotgun and jokingly called it "something for rabbits." You would need to put your shot in a shot cup and pour the tallow in that and seat the congealed loaded cup (could be messy in the early autumn heat.) On the down side, it might hold together too well. I would look at the shotcups designed for iron shot that are carried by Precision Reloading or Ballistic Products.

Regards,

rcs

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »
You can patch your shot with strips of ticking and get turkey choke like results. I tried it in a 20 and found loading to be a pain but the patterns were great. I haven't tried it in my 12 because I had it jug choked.

Before I patched the shot I might get 5 or 6 pellets in a target at 25 yards out of my 20. After patching this was the result;