Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The myth of the Hawken Rifle....  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
The myth of the Hawken Rifle....
« on: December 16, 2015, 02:55:57 PM »
Personally, I have always been a fan of the Hawken rifle, or any of the other short-stock "plains type" rifles.
I suspect their looks and charm, along with visions of the fur trade era is what got me started in this fascinating hobby we all enjoy so much.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Longrifles and Fowler's, both being Flintlocks, but they just don't bring about the images of running Buffalo, high  mountain treks, with rushing streams and rivers that seems, in my mind, to somehow belong exclusively to the Hawken.

I thought this may shed a bit of light on our beloved Hawken, especially those who may not have seen or read this before...if you're a fan of the Hawken, it's well worth the read.

Myth of the Hawken Rifle:
“For many years a rifle was condemned if it did not have the name of Hawkins stamped on it.” A bold, audacious statement. A statement that matches the expectations of many of us of the gun carried by the mountain man. The kind of statement that had been repeated for so often and for so long that I too was taken in by it. And a statement that is largely untrue.
That the shop of Samuel and Jacob Hawken produced high quality, premium guns and rifles (and at a premium price, as much as six times as costly as a trade gun) cannot be disputed. However, their shop was not a gun factory, spewing out an endless stream of rifles. A large part of their business was gun repairs and modifications, as well as other types of iron work required by their customers, such as producing batches of traps, or fire-steels.
Their gun production, which peaked at about 200 per year around the gold rush days in the latest 1840’s and earliest 1850’s, probably was consumed primarily by the local market. The next largest market documented was the Santa Fe trade and Bent’s Fort in the 1840’s.
Even if their entire annual production been sent to the mountains, it still would have been insignificant in comparison to the numbers of guns and rifles being produced and shipped west by gun factories in Europe and eastern United States.
So how did the myth that every Mountain Man had to carry a Hawken rifle (as characterized by the Mountain Rifle) come to be. References to the Hawken rifle by Mountain Men and other observers at the time show that there is no mention of the Hawken in the 1820’s.
In his later years, Samuel Hawken does state that William Asley had a super-Hawken in 1823. There is only one mention of a Hawken rifle in the 1830’s by Pegleg Smith, who states that ownership of one is a good recommendation (but not that everyone had to own one).
By the 1840’s there are numerous references to the Hawken rifle and the quality of the firearm, but no indication that it was the universal weapon or the firearm of choice. It seems probably that George Frederick Ruxton may have innocently been responsible for starting the legendary association of the Hawken rifle and Mountain Man.
Ruxton, an English observer, traveled the Santa Fe Trail in 1847. He later wrote two books based on his experience: a factual book entitled “Adventures in Mexico and the Rocky Mountains” distinguished for its many complete and accurate descriptions of clothing, weapons, and personal equipment used by the people with who he came in contact; and a fictional novel based on his experiences entitled “Life in the Far West.” In his factual book, Ruxton makes no mention of the Hawken rifle. However, in the novel, he writes that his hero, when beginning to outfit himself for life in the mountains stops by the Hawken shop to replace his squirrel gun with a “regular mountain rifle.”
This novel was an international best seller. It appeared serially in 1848 in Britain and the United States, and English editions were printed in 1850, 1851, 1861, 1867. A German edition appeared in 1852. American editions were printed in 1855, 1859, 1915, 1951, and 1973. This popular best seller appears to have inextricably linked the image of the Mountain Man with the Hawken rifle in popular wisdom.
After the appearance of Ruxton’s best selling novel and well after the end of the era of the “Mountain Man” allusions to the Hawken rifle and Mountain Men increase in frequency and the superlatives become increasingly enthusiastic.
However, these statements seem to be drawn out of thin air, with no documentation to back them up. A listing of Mountain Man rifles in order of importance, based on trade inventories and production records was probably: Lancaster Rifle English Rifle Other Kentucky and Pennsylvania types J&S Hawken Rifles New English Rifle (last because it appeared very late)
The primary distinction that the Hawken Rifle held was that it was the predominant and earliest percussion rifle to see widespread use amongst the Mountain Men. However, rifles were not the only long gun to see use by the Mountain Man. Huge quantities of Northwest Trade Guns as well as other smoothbore long guns were shipped annually to the mountains. Although intended primarily for trade with the Indians, these guns also saw widespread use with the trappers.
The above material was summarized from “The Hawken Rifle: It’s Place In History” by Charles E Hanson, Jr.
If you don't have this book, and would like to get it, it is available on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006DYFRA?keywords=The%20Hawken%20Rifle%2C%20by%20Charles%20Hanson&qid=1450295625&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
It would make a nice Christmas Present for "yerself"!

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: The myth of the Hawken Rifle....
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 06:33:40 AM »
very interesting write up, thanx fer sharing!

where does the half-stock fit into the "mountain man rifle" picture?  weren't most full stocks?

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:54:59 AM »
Another good read by Hanson is "The Plains Rifle".  both books are well researched and good information.

I also have a fascination with the Hawken rifle, and it can be challenging to  separate the myth from the truth.
Steve Sells

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 12:22:01 PM »
As someone who lives and hunts in the Colorado Rockies. My heart is always with the Hawken. I love everything about it. I knew that every mountain man didn't have one, or even close to that. However, if just one had it's that's close enough for me. I know some had it, so using one now can be considered accurate.

I just bought a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle for my shoots and hunting. I know it's not an exact copy, but it's close enough for me. I can't afford a custom true copy. The JBMR is a bit heavy for this 73 year old. Especially, up at 11,000ft timberline where I like to hunt. However the real Hawken was heavy too, so I just need to deal with it.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"
....where does the half-stock fit into the "mountain man rifle" picture?  weren't most full stocks?
In reality, I personally think you are right. I have never believed a nimrod arriving in St.Louis from the east would sell his eastern longrifle just to go beaver trapping in the mountains, as he had likely grown-up using that same rifle which he knew it inside and out. I also believe that some arrived with a rifle that was simply too small, or to frail to handle the arduous task that lay ahead.
(The writings of Hanson pretty much agree.)
Still yet, the image most conjured up of the Hawken, during this time frame, is a rifle with a half-stock.

During the early days of the fur trade era, the vast majority of rifles in the Rocky Mountains were likely Lancaster, and privately owned Kentucky Rifles in various calibers, with the Lancaster, later on, getting the most favorable reviews of the time, according to Hanson.

The image of the half-stock Hawken likely fits best later on, in the 1850's, when the actual majority of Hawken rifles were built, the fur trade was practically over and gone, the Gold Rush days had begun, and "Hide Hunting" was starting in the plains of the West.
A shorter more handy rifle was built for the ease of use on horseback, and the taking of Buffalo.

Other writers have stated that before the cartridge rifles of the day, properly referred to as Buffalo Guns, the half-stock muzzle loader had already laid claim to as many as 25% of all Buffalo to be taken during that same era.

Muley, can't say my feelings about the Hawken differ from yours. It is what it is and it's still being duplicated today with all our modern technology and machinery. It's obivously still there in the hearts and minds of many of today's buckskinners.

And the myth continues.......

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 12:44:36 PM »
I think the MM had the half stock Hawken in the 30's and 40's too Russ. Maybe not a lot, but some.

Jim Bridger, and Jeremiah Smith's Hawkens were half stocks. Those are documented, but i'm sure lots more that we don't know about.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »
I liked the "Hawken" style okay but never actually cozied up to them.  They were bandied about way out of proportion to reality.  The  longrifle did it for me.  IMHO that was where the rubber hit the road.  For a shorter rifle I'd much prefer a Germanic Jaeger.  

It's amazing that so many think of any halfstock as a "Hawken".  If you love your Hawkens, go for it.  I simply love wood going all the way out to the muzzle.  :hairy
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
A waste of wood.  ;)

btw You only have to look at where someone lives to understand why they like certain  guns.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 10:16:14 PM »
There are a large number of Hawkens family, Gemmer and other rifles of that ilk at the Cody Museum in Cody, WY. As you can see in the photo and the labels, most are half stock, but several are full stock:

Ron

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 10:25:04 PM »
Ron,

Yes, but I bet you can't find a full stock caplock made by Hawken that wasn't converted from a flintlock, or a half stock flintlock by Hawken.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline Sneakon

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 10:28:39 PM »
If I remember correctly, Jim Bridger's Hawken is in the Montana Historical Society Museum in Helena. It is a half stock.  Seeing that gun was an inspiration.  My Hawken is the best shooting muzzleloader I have, and so much fun to hunt with.
Shining Times!
Sneakon
TMA Charter Member #76 expires 7/12/12

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:30:37 PM »
Pete,

I don't have the skill or knowledge to judge whether or not these rifles started as flintlocks or originated as caplocks.
If you can tell through the glare of the glass, I would very much like to know which ones of these are original caplocks.
Thanks, :rt th
Ron

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 10:44:46 PM »
That's the problem Ron. I looked into this a couple of years ago, and nobody could come up with solid proof that there was ever a half stock flintlock Hawken. Some had looked at all the museum Hawkens too.

So, i've assumed that all full stock Hawken rifles were flints, and all half stock were caplocks.

I'm open to be proved wrong. I just want to know the truth.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
Here's a partial list of what was at a rendezvous. For sure the Hawkens were not as many as the trade rifles, and were pricey, but they were there. I know I would have found a way to buy one if I lived back then.

2    cards  spurs                             1.75 & 2.75               $4.500
              1/2ream   Fool's Cap Paper                     5.50                                  2.75
           50           Best Quills                         $1.00                   $0.500
              1/6doz    Blk Ink Powder                      $1.00                   $0.170
           50    @      Vermillion                           1.08                  $54.000
            1    doz    Red Cock feathers                    2.50                   $2.500
           66           half axes                            0.75                                  49.5
           25           Tomahawks                           0.375                                  9.38
           15           Am.  do.                            $0.75                  $11.250
            6           Felling Axes                        $1.50                   $9.000
           36           N. W. Guns     best quality         $4.50                 $162.000
            5           Am. Rifles  steel mounted              19                  $95.000
           10           Hawkens Rifles                         24                 $240.000
         1504    @      Small bar lead                       0.07                                105.28
         1000    "      Powder                               0.29                                   290
         1350    @      Plug Tobacco                        0.125                                168.75
          620    "      small finest tobacco                0.125                                  77.5
          525    @      Coffee                             0.1575                                 82.68
         1500    "      Brown Havanna Sugar                 0.125                                 187.5
           25    "      Black Pepper                         0.12                                     3
            4    boxes  Raisins                                 4                                    16
            1    barrel Dry'd Apples                          4.5                                   4.5
            1    "      "  Peaches    3 bush                    3                                     9
          150    @      Rice                                 0.06                                     9
            2    barrelsSuper fine Flour                      9.5                                    19
            2 1/2doz    Bed Cords                            1.75                                  4.38
            5    ps     Riband   No 4                         0.6                   $3.000
            4           "   "   No 3                          0.4                   $1.600
            2           Blank Books                         0.375                   $0.750
            1           "                                    0.25                   $0.250
            2           Bank Books                           0.25                   $0.500
            6    nests  sheet iron Kettles 185 1/2 g         0.28                                 51.94
            4    "      Tin Kettles                             7                                    28
            6           Sheet Iron kettles 46                0.28                                 12.88
            3           Tin kettles                          2.25                                  6.75
            3    doz    Tin cups                             0.56                                  1.69
            4    doz    Assorted sizes Tin pans               2.5                                    10
                        Drayage of tin & sheet iron                                                0.25
            5    doz    Com. Snaffle Bridles                  6.5                                  32.5
            4 1/6doz    Stirrup Leather                         5                                 20.83
            8 1/3doz    Leather Sursingle                     7.5                                  62.5
           15           Leather Powder Bags                     3                                    45
           50    prs    Horse shoes                           0.7                                    35

CARRY FORWARD                                             $585.020      1345.56
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »
Interesting.  So, this is saying the Hawken sold for $24.00 in the day on the mountain?  Hmmm, would have thought it would be a little more.  Interesting that there would be so many of them, compared to the iron mounted trade rifles.
Also interesting that there are no powder horns on the list, just leather powder bags.  And no flints or perc. caps either.  Hopefully, this is only a partial list.  
Do you know where and when this inventory is taken from?
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life