Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Trying A New Black Powder Cleaner Idea  (Read 2915 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Trying A New Black Powder Cleaner Idea
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 06:59:01 AM »
i try to gravitate towards "the simple", which sometimes ain't so simple, and then i ditch that and attempt to get even simpler.

"fresh" bp residue is readily tepid water soluble.  that's a fact.  it might take as long as 5 minutes left in the touch hole plugged barrel to work its magic.  a concoction cleaner might do it 5 seconds.  that's the beauty of most concoction bp cleaners - speed and efficiency of use.

"not so fresh" bp residue is a horse of another color.  that can get dissolved with plain water AND a buncha patched jagged elbow grease.  a good concoction will clean that out in, oh, about 15 seconds.

"not cleaned for a day or more" can be a nightmare that plain water won't fix easily - if at all.  this is where a concoction cleaner is a must-have.  hey, why in heck didja wait so long?  you must have a death wish for yer gun.  :o ;D

this is why i "moose milk" before leaving the range/woods, and follow up with plain water whence back at the ranch.  if i'm smart.  then i don't need no concoction cleaners.   8)

Online dmarsh

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 08:10:59 AM »
A few years ago I wandered into the kitchen and LO and BEHOLD!  BP cleaner was coming out out the faucet!  :hairy

Well I was reading this post and got curious and started looking around the kitchen for ingredients for a concoction and found out I have one of those faucets that spew BP cleaner too.   :Doh! :hairy :lol sign

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »
Yep, gotta keep 'em clean.

this is why i "moose milk" before leaving the range/woods

Same here Rob, I always run some patches before leaving the Range/Woods.

Nothing wrong with water - provided it's not ran through a water softener, (like I have) as all I would be doing is introducing salt into my bore and other metal parts. (Natural well water - Good water). (City water - wonder how many chemicals are in that?)

So I kind'a figure I have $4.75 tied up in at least 2+ years of cleaner. Potentially far cheaper then the results of introducing water with salt in - into the bore's of my muzzleloading firearms.  :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 08:49:03 AM »
yes, good point about water softeners.  :bl th up 

that's really the only caveat i can think of with regards to water - if it's potable, it should be ok.

or a fancy water can be used - the distilled variety.  8)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 05:17:28 PM »
yes, good point about water softeners.  :bl th up 

that's really the only caveat i can think of with regards to water - if it's potable, it should be ok.

or a fancy water can be used - the distilled variety.  8)

Yes, very true. And that fancy water can cost a lot more then a gallon of cheap ww fluid, ounce per ounce... ;)

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 05:53:27 PM »
I purchased some of Fletcher's Old Thunder lube and solvent, and found it to work very well on the button rifling in my pistol barrel, but not that well on the cut rifling of my rifle. It worked OK on the latter, but not much better than other concoctions. Mostly, as I said, I stick with a little Murphy's oil soap mixed with water for cleaning, and Ballistol or Remington Gun Oil for the final coat.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 08:17:33 AM »
A few years ago I wandered into the kitchen and LO and BEHOLD!  BP cleaner was coming out out the faucet!  :hairy

Well I was reading this post and got curious and started looking around the kitchen for ingredients for a concoction and found out I have one of those faucets that spew BP cleaner too.   :Doh! :hairy :lol sign

Dave

NO KIDDING, it's the same at my house too, AND....sometimes it falls from the sky!     :laffing

A single drop of liquid dishwashing liquid I learned from a forum member breaks up the surface tension of the water, if you think you need it.  Heat the water up if you have a wax/fat or just fat residue from the bullet lube.  Soap and water on really dirty barrels such as those used to fire blanks for civilian tourists at the historic site. 

Some like to use a little alcohol to dry the last moisture from the barrel.  Others use WD-40.  Then a good rust preventative.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
I too tried the murphy's,water & alcohol mix up until it splashed on my glasses and ate a spot off of the coating!

I did some research and murphy's isn't as friendly as one may think, Alcohol evaporates this I knew from fuel mixtures.
Working with metals and water treatment/corrosion preventive materials/oils/lubes/compounds/aircraft and industrial boiler cleaners.

I now use water, with a tad of GUNK CS mixture. It works on all I clean, is metal friendly , doesn't eat up lens coatings. Washes up with water.

I don't know what is in windshield washer fluid. I've had gun shops give me bottles of lightly tinted blue mixes with their shop labels on them.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
what's GUNK CS?

Offline Rusty Gunn

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 785
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 05:51:46 PM »
There is a Gunk SC aka gunk super concentrate sometimes used to clean aircraft engines.
IIRC it's a bit pricey.
When the time comes to shoot, shoot straight it helps.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
There is a Gunk SC aka gunk super concentrate sometimes used to clean aircraft engines.
IIRC it's a bit pricey.

That's why tap water (okay, then, WW fluid too) is such a good idea.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Feltwad

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 09:07:50 AM »
Here in the UK some black powder riflemen have used  car window wash for years ,myself I still prefer hot soapy water '
Feltwad

Offline Swamppanther

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Active Member
  • TMA Member: TMA #801
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »
I been thinkin of trying some or that hand sanitizer next time I get to go out and shoot. It should work good for a
between shot patch or two down the barrel. Dries quick too! Anyone tried it yet. I believe it mostly alcohol.
Little squeeze bottle it comes in a easy fit in possible bag and its cheap. 
USMC Life - Siemper Fi
NRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
IIRC it's a bit pricey.

hmmm,,, I've always wished my balls could fly straighter....  :Doh!  I couldn't help it....  :laffing

Feltwad, I've seen several post over the years of folks using the Windshield Washer Fluid, and after using it myself (now), I can see why they like it. I added 1/4 alcohol to my first gallon after cutting the WWF back 1/4th gallon, but I really don't think I even needed to do that.

If I didn't have a water softner I'd probably still be using water as well.  :bl th up

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2017, 07:02:04 PM »
Shameless Plug for Ol' Thunder and Just Good Lube.....  I tried it about 25 years ago when I got some
from John Shorb when the Cascade Mountain Men Trade show was still in Enumclaw.  I bought a bunch
for my Boy Scout ML program.  A few years later John asked me, and I bought the company.  Have not
had the time to promote much will all the work I have, but I will put it up against anything out there.  Ol'
Thunder is water based and Just Good Lube Beeswax based.  Ohio Joe - PM me your address and I will
send you a sample of each.  Then tell folks what you think.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders