Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Pipe hawk build advice please  (Read 1181 times)

Offline PRB2

• TMA Forum Member
Pipe hawk build advice please
« on: October 13, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
Greetings, I'm starting my first pipe hawk, would like some advice on grinding the edge. Firstly, should I use a belt grinder or file? The head is as cast 6150 steel I was trying to avoid a modern looking grind line, thought a file and polish might be better. Second all the grinding filing and clean up should be done before heat treat right? Don't know if I will heat treat as I'm planning this as a smoker not so much a chopper. If I do heat treat should it be the entire head or just the edge. Thanks, sorry for being so wordy

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Pipe hawk build advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
PRB2; while i don't know your skill level, my thought's are, beginner! I'd go ahead and grind 95% of the final shape. Then use the file to bring in the final shape. Personally, I'd add hammer marks at this point to show authenticity. Heat treating however, is beyond my scope. BUT, i'd would 'do it right' the first time! As your skill's advance, this tool will be more useful. Do it 'right' now! It'll pay you back later!!! Perhaps, someone else will chime in on this.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline PRB2

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Pipe hawk build advice please
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »
Buzzard, thanks for the reply I will  start with the filing, since its a smker maybe I will forego the heat treat, thanks again