TMA Events and Activites > TMA Special Events

Some Pictures From 2018 Chadron Fur Trade Days

<< < (5/5)

Hank in WV:
Great pics Rondo, thanks.

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: rollingb on July 18, 2018, 10:54:08 PM ---There were some 30-40 year-old fellas and gals there :),.... I just couldn't catch up with'em long enough to take their pitchers.  :o ;)

--- End quote ---

:lol sign

Winter Hawk, Rondy keeps a feller looking young.  :applaud  :*:

Thanks for the pictures, Rondo!  :toast :bl th up

Winter Hawk:
I like Rondo's camp.  Nice & simple. 

I've thought about making a Forester tent if I can get some light canvas.  Looking at painter's tarps to cut up, 6 or 8 ounce fabric.  As shown in "On Your Own in the Wilderness" by Bradford Angier and Townsend Whelen.  But first I need to finish the canoe I'm building, and get the log splitter working again, and get in firewood, the list goes on...  :Doh!

~Kees~

rollingb:

--- Quote from: Winter Hawk on July 19, 2018, 10:04:01 PM ---I like Rondo's camp.  Nice & simple. 

I've thought about making a Forester tent if I can get some light canvas.  Looking at painter's tarps to cut up, 6 or 8 ounce fabric.  As shown in "On Your Own in the Wilderness" by Bradford Angier and Townsend Whelen.  But first I need to finish the canoe I'm building, and get the log splitter working again, and get in firewood, the list goes on...  :Doh!

~Kees~

--- End quote ---
It is pretty simple, and I have used that set-up many times in years past.  :bl th up

All one needs is an 8' X 10' tarp, some poles that can be found in the area, some rope, and something to sleep on.

I use an 8' X 10' Oil Cloth (that I made) for a ground cloth and a wool blanket for my bed.

If it rains, I can scoot further towards the rear of the lean-to and flip the outer edge of the Oil Cloth up and over me to keep dry. Kind'a like a "taco" when it's layin' on it's side. :laffing

When out on juants in the wild where weight can be an issue, I would have left the buffalo robe at home, but since we hauled stuff into camp with our truck and trailer I placed a robe on the Oil Cloth (PLUS the wool blanket) to demonstrate how a simple cold weather shelter can be set up.  :bl th up

NOTE:.... an additional wool blanket can be used in place of the buffalo robe, and packs MUCH "smaller and lighter".
A fact quickly noticed by many of the Mountain and Plains Indians, living nomadic lives in the West, during that time. :bl th up 

Bigsmoke:

--- Quote from: Winter Hawk on July 18, 2018, 10:44:04 PM ---

One thing that stands out is that, except for the kids, there sure seems to be a lot of grey & white hair there. 
-Kees-

--- End quote ---

That is something I have noticed over the years myself.  I have heard that fact discussed many times in just the general gun world, that it is a graying sport.  And especially so in the rendezvous portion of it.  I think that has to do with 70+ year old bodies sleeping on the ground, midnight runs to the hooters, etc.
Maybe 8 or 9 years ago, I went to a rendezvous in the California Gold Rush Country and I was purely amazed.  What used to be a massive event had downsized drastically.  Except for the traders, I did not see one bit of canvas.  And there were only 7 traders in evidence.  Used to be lined up on both sides of the road the length of the meadow and then some.  The few tents that were there were modern.  Big whoop !!!  Instead of tents, there were motor homes, trailers and truck campers.  The whole situation was quite depressing to me, as back in the 70's, this RDV was a big deal.  Not no more.  Have thought about going back to it, but no, I don't think so.  Too depressing.  And too many old people hanging around.  Oh wait, that's us, isn't it?  Plus, the little town that it was held at seems to be about three steps away from becoming a ghost town.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version