Traditional Firearms > Pre-Flintock Firearms

Japanese Matchlock

<< < (2/5) > >>

Spotted Bull:

--- Quote from: "Minnesota Mike" ---You gonna get the outfit that goes with it?

r/
MM
--- End quote ---

Not sure that I would fit in at the local vouz in that getup...but hey I'm game!

bluelake:

--- Quote from: "Indiana" ---That's a gorgeous rifle.  What kind of wood did the Japanese use to make their matchlocks with?
--- End quote ---

I believe Japanese (flowering) cherry.

bluelake:

--- Quote from: "Minnesota Mike" ---You gonna get the outfit that goes with it?

r/
MM
--- End quote ---

If I ever got any outfit to go with it, it would probably be that of a Korean Joseon dynasty soldier (look at the videos I posted on Korean cannon for reference), but as I'm not a re-enactor it probably won't happen.  I did once wear a Joseon dynasty officer's uniform for a Korean archery demo.

bluelake:
Today, I spent the afternoon translating Korean text into English in a book chapter about black powder (very interesting reading that will be very useful in my dissertation).  While flipping through the rest of that chapter, which is on Korean Joseon dynasty guns of all sizes, I ran across the mention of one peculiar piece.  It was an extra-long smoothbore matchlock: 65" overall length with an approximate 51" barrel (and weighed in at 22 pounds).  There is an even longer example in a museum in Incheon with a 68" overall length and approximate 53" barrel (and .91 caliber).  They were recorded as shooting 1,000 paces (over 3/4 of a mile).  Was there anything comparable during the same time period (~18th and 19th centuries) in the West?

bluelake:
Well, I had an e-mail from John Buck, and he's finishing up my matchlock; he hopes to have it done this weekend.  I'm really looking forward to receiving and shooting it (I'll let the UPS guy get out of the way first, however   ).  I plan to take a lot of video and stills this summer; I'll share what I do when I get it all sorted.

My plane takes off tomorrow morning and, after nearly 24 hrs. of traveling, I should be at my folks' place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version