Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

Steel Frame 1851 Navy by Euroarms Brescia

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ohio Joe:
Well you know Kees, one thing leads to another and before you know it,,, well let's just say :Doh! I'm at a loss for words...  :o  :laffing

Winter Hawk:
Full story is that I had completed a 2 year degree in electronics at the U of Alaska, and signed on with the White Alice Communications System, under contract with RCA.  White Alice was a series of repeater stations across Alaska to provide a link between the DEW line (Distant Early Warning) on the Arctic coast and Cheyenne Mountain NORAD base in Colorado.  Remember, this was in 1968 during the cold war era and we didn't have all these satellites like we do now to provide communications.

After going through a week of indoctrination all of the new hires were sent to the Bear Creek station near the village of Tanana, for training on the telephone equipment.  One of the regular techs on the site found out I was a gun nut and he offered me the 1851 Navy (a Dixie Gun Works import) with a bag of balls, a couple of tins of caps, a pound of DuPont FFg and one of Dixie's "hair straightener" bullet molds, all for $30.  First chance I had I went out away from the station, loaded up and fired off one cylinder, and I was hooked!

The guy (and I don't remember his name) told me that he had been at Bear Creek for a number of years.  The village of Tanana had a turkey shoot every year around Thanksgiving.  He used a flintlock longrifle and won it several years in a row.  The rules were then changed that muzzle loaders were not allowed.

And there you have the l-o-n-g version of how I got started with black powder.  Oh, it was still possible to order it through the mail, and it was shipped that way also.  Ah, the good old days!

~Kees~

Winter Hawk:
Reviving an O-L-D thread, as I recently had a Pietta made 1851 Navy Colt replica delivered from Dixie.  Just got a Lee mold so need to run some ball so I can try this thing out!

One thing I noticed, the Pietta has a brass bead front sight, while the photos of original Colts I have seen show a fairly low blade up front.  If it shoots high like I believe it will, I may cut a dovetail up there and install a blade....

~Kees~

Ohio Joe:
Kees,

In one of Mike Bellevue's You Tube video's - he does that very thing, but you'd have to search for it as it has been some time back.  :shake

Well what 'a you know, I found it almost immediately...

Winter Hawk:
Thanks Joe!  That was a good video, as well as another he has of shooting his original 1851 Colt.  Contrary to photos I have seen of the original revolvers, his Colt also has a pin type front sight which I find interesting.  If others have seen the original guns, what did they have for front sight?

~Kees~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version