Traditional Firearms > Flintlock Long Guns

Cleaning a Flinter

<< < (2/6) > >>

mike rumping:
why would you not want to remove it?

Mitch:
I don't always remove the lock...I often leave my firelocks loaded for extended periods of time(longest stayed loaded for over 8 months-went off no problem)...Most of the time, I just plug touch-hole, fill with water, dump, swab with tow or patch and reload...about once every 5-6 months, I'll do a complete clean-hot water, remove lock, clean EVERYTHING and re-oil...I don't believe there is only one way to maintain your firelock-to each his own system...Mitch

Hank in WV:
I take mine off every time and throw it into a bucket of water while I clean the barrel.

Uncle Russ:
I'm with Mitch....I don't remove the lock everytime I shoot my Flinters. But, I do remove it, and clean it, if I spent a day at the range, shot a dozen or so times, or been out in the weather....if I really use the gun, then I really clean it...top to bottom.

I have more problems with my capbusters than I do with my Flinters!  

Uncle Russ...

Buffler Razz:
If I am on  trek or out camping for a few days I may not remove the lock when I clean my gun. But, once I arrive at home the gun gets a good cleaning including removing the lock for a good wipe down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version