Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Skeleton Stock  (Read 1066 times)

Spotted Bull

Skeleton Stock
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:19:25 PM »
Today must be the day of odd muzzleloaders. Here is another like I have never seen.

AN UNUSUAL SKELETON-STOCK ENGLISH FLINTLOCK TAKE-DOWN FOWLER, by “BATE”, ca. 1770: In overall near excellent, untouched original flintlock condition. Very Fine quality, 42", octagonal-to-round, blued (75%+), gold washed, smoothbore, key-fastened, .62 caliber (approx. 18 Ga.) barrel with a silver fore-sight, a fine touch-hole and a sculpted, and rococo-vine scroll engraved, breech-plug/tang. The top of the breech with a gold damascened rococo panel with a “SERAIN A’ SAVMVR” French barrel maker’s marking, for Saumur Serain (Serrain) of Maine-et-Loire, France: who worked, ca. 1750 (Please see E. Heer’s: “Der Neue Stockel”, vol. 2, pg. 1155). Retains an untouched, smooth age patina with only some light patches of discoloration. Molded and relief carved, highly figured, English burr walnut, Take-Down fullstock with a detachable, key-fastened forestock and an unusual “Skeleton” type buttstock with a deeply fluted comb and a delicate wrist. A Classic, English, Georgian Period, raised carved apron, around the barrel-tang and the sidebolts and lock mortises with molded borders. Sculpted & chiseled steel mounts with extensive scroll-engravings and untouched, lightly-toned, smooth, gray surfaces: some light scattered discoloration. The trigger-guard with an etched and engraved floral-form forward finial and a Rose engraved bow. Two blossom-form sidebolt-escutcheons and complete with both of its sidebolts. A screw-fastened and pinned butt-plate with a floral vine-scroll-engraved finial, en suite. Three (3) barrel-type ramrod pipes and complete with its original horn-tip wooden ramrod. Flat lock/mechanism with choice “bright” steel surfaces, 90%+ polish, a clear “BATE” maker’s maker’s signature and in mechanically functional order with excellent timing and a strong mainspring. Edward Bate of London, UK: worked at Brownlow Street, Long Acre, London 1763-78 and was also a Contractor to the Board of Ordnance (Please see H. L. Blackmore’s: “Gunmakers of London…”, pg. 49). Early type waterproof powder-pan & roller type frizzen-spring with its gooseneck hammer with its teardrop-final frizzen spring. In overall near excellent untouched condition. The barrel with sharp contours and choice, blued & gold washed, steel surfaces with extensive rococo vine scroll accents and 75%+ finish. Very Fine stock with 95%+ finish, some light handling marks and sharp contours. The lock with 90%+ polish, clear markings, its original components and excellent timing. A Scarce & Unusual English Flintlock Take-Down Fowler w/ Rare Skeleton Butt, ca. 1770. Overall length, 54”. For a similar example, please see C. Blair’s: “European & American Arms 1100-1850”.

Price: $8,775.00

http://www.ambroseantiques.com/flongarms/bate.htm

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Skeleton Stock
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 11:10:21 PM »
That just plain neat!
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »
I like it.

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:38:18 PM »
Me too Keb...and if I had about $8,770.00 more...I could think about buying it  :?
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »
I was wondering who would build such a thing and wondered if it wasn't built as a solid stock and the hole was cut out somewhere later in it's life. It's hard to see but it looks like the gun is made better than the hole is cut. It looks to be an awesome old fowling gun but the hole in the stock kinda ruins it.

Offline Eric Krewson

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 08:42:44 AM »
Just a guess, with a two piece stock this could have been a lightweight takedown version of a fowler that was cased for travel.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »
I have a nifty little Belgian sidelever 2 1/2" x .410 folder with a stock like that. Skeleton stocks have been done for a long time in Europe and The UK.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393