Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Smoothbore experience  (Read 2394 times)

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Smoothbore experience
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
I am in the process of finding myself a smoothbore. If you own or have owned one,please tell me about its ups a downs. Also interested in a couple different styles,nw trade gun and French fusil de chase or ordinair. Have lots of questions so please, if you have input lets hear it. Like, how does the fusil differ in how it shoulders as compared to a nw trade gun? Kind of thinking 16 or 20 gauge.
Thanks , ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Smoothbore experience
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
Ridjrunr,

I have a Fusil de Chasse that I've been thinking of selling. Made from a Track of the Wolf kit. Major inletting done by Alex Efremenko, woodwork done by me. 44" barrel in 20ga, walnut stock (hand scraped like the originals).

As far as your shouldering question, the FdC has a curved stock, while the NW gun is about as straight as it gets. It takes a little getting used to, but no big deal.

I've been shooting smoothbores exclusively for 6 or 7 years. Will likely pick up a rifle in the next year or so as we are moving South.

Mario

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
Dan,
you are welcome to shoot my Chief's gun and see how you like it.
Steve Sells

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »
For a lot of people the excessive "roman" nose on French guns makes them  really hard kickers.  Your choice, but shoot a FDC before you buy it.  The English fowlers/NW guns are a better fit for most a us.  Here's a 16 bore 42" round bbl. Davis "twigg" lock rebuilt by Bob Roller,     Just my 2 cents worth....Tom

click on pic to see progress so far.
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
Dan , here is my 2 cents / IMO .
 The French stock design and the English stock designs are different do to a different style of shooting .
As Mario mentioned . The NW gun can have at times very little drop  .But not always .  The comb is also very flat across the top , which IMO also takes some getting used to .
 But the reason they are that way is that the English style of shooting a gun  was basically how we shoot today . IE you  step into the gun as you shoulder it . Just like you would a modern rifle or shotgun .

With the French designs , they often “depending on the maker “ have a lot moor drop to the heel and a more rounded profile to the  nose of the comb . This calls for a much more erect stance  when shooting .  IE your head is up  not forward and down .
  Thus if you have large cheek bones and  try and lean into the gun  with your face forward , the  rise in the comb often will end up recoiling into your  cheek bone .
  When I learned and accepted that  difference and thus began shooting my de chase , with a more erect stance ,  the gun not only became much more comfortable to shoot but my accuracy also improved greatly  
De Chase

Now note I said depending on maker .
 The reason I say that is that not all French designs have that roman nose to the comb .
 What the largest % that I have seen do however have in common is a greater drop from the nose to the heal then on English guns .
 While this isn’t a De Chase  you can see what im getting at

Now as to the ups and downs .
  The plus is I  can reload much quicker then  I can a rifle . Also I have the ability to shoot either shot , ball or both . I actually to a very nice cow elk some years ago while hunting grouse , because of that ability . Literally I saw the herd coming down the ridge , was able to  quickly pull the over the shot card , dump out the #7 ½ that I was loaded with . Drop a ball in and  push the over the shot card back in  and still have time to make the shot .

As to a draw back . I would say that would have to be accuracy at ranges  past 75 yards .
 However that also may not be an issue  while hunting . As you know a lot of times out  harvest range back here is  rather close . As such  , frankly  I see no difference between  how accurate my smoothbores are  compared to my rifles at those closer ranges .

Now one thing that I have had a problem with is heat waves coming off of my smoothbore barrels . Especially the longer barrels . They distort your sight picture much more then they do on a rifle with an octagon bore  when you out shooting on hot days .

Now his is just my opinion but considering you build , you may find the NW gun to be rather small in stature for you . But at the same time  your probably going to like the larger  trigger guard . With your height and size , if you do go with a NW gun , I would find someone who would build you one  that’s based more on a early design with much more drop  then those commonly seen today. IE something that’s alittle more then  the original  I showed in the first photos .

Now the other thing is price .
Doing a French gun correctly , is much harder then doing a NW gun . Thus they cost more .
 But the plus is that they were also done “depending on the model you chose “  in degrees of very simple , to modestly decorated , all the way to very extravagant gentleman’s guns.
 Not so with the NW gun  which even in so called chiefs grade , is  not  very ,,,, how should I put this , gentelman ‘y   LOL
 But then they don’t really need to be .

Now myself I have owned  several NW guns and more then a few De chase .  I prefer the French designs . One of the only things French that I do care for .

Let me also put in little plug here .
  I don’t know what price range your  thinking of  or  time fraim . But  if your  thinking of a frenchy and  of something  more then the run of the mill trade gun or  De chase , give me a call . I would most certainly  enjoy entertaining the concept  and challenge of building you a fine piece.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »
My smoothbore is an early American design.  I recommend a 20 ga as the best all around bore size.  Mine has a rear sight so I can shoot it like a rifle but it is a personal choice.  I really can't think of a downside (after you've found a gun you like) for you can shoot deer with ball at 50 yards (at least) and shot at around half that distance.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline graybeard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
I have a fusil de chasse,tulle, and really  like it.  the 44" barrel is a bit long for hunting grouse in heavy cover, but fun.  usually use it as a 20 gauge shotgun, but plan to try for deer next year.  Normally hunt deer with a .50 TC hawken but don't take long shots (over 50 yards) with much of any rifle.  graybeard
"If a man ain't hunting or fishing he's just frittering his life away"--Rancid Crabtree

TMA Member #588
Expires 04/02/2013

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I have a trade pending and will be acquireing a 20 guage fusil de chase built by Matt Avance. It is used but well taken care of. may be getting it next week.
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »
Good for you ridjrunr,  lets  see her when you get it.   Tom
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 02:19:29 AM »
Thank you Tom,will do. I am trading a flint pistol and some change,just have to scrape together some post holiday change,  :Doh!
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline 4-Liberty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
I only have but one smoothbore, so I can only speak to it. It is a 42" Colerain barrel FdC made by Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders. It doesn't have a very pronounced nose as is common for the FdC so it's pretty easy on the cheek. I've only used it for bird shot so for, so I can't really speak to it's PRB capabilities, but it sure is fun to hunt grouse with; challenging, but fun. I plan on patterning it for a PRB in the very near future though. There's a deer walking in the woods right now with my Tulle's name on it.  :lt th
TMA Member #174

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
Just opened the mail and will post some pix after work. All I can say is WOW, she shure is pretty. People ain't kiddin when they say Avance builds a nice smoke pole! Now I need to throw some ball before Sunday 8)
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Bison Horn

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »
Hey Dan I'll be at work all nite holler at me 10-6. BH
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
Quote from: "ridjrunr"
Just opened the mail and will post some pix after work. All I can say is WOW, she shure is pretty. People ain't kiddin when they say Avance builds a nice smoke pole! Now I need to throw some ball before Sunday :happy  Yes, yes, yes, pics & more pics; yes, yes, yes..................!

Matt does do truly fine work as my gun cabinet will attest. :hairy
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 04:33:58 AM »
I think it's gonna get a sling ;)
HCH member
NRA member
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21